• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFNN Night Time Signal

P

pberger

For the last six months or so I have been listening to KFNN quite a bit at night. The signal was always respectable, and I had no trouble listening in central Phoenix. But, starting about a week ago, I can barely pick them out; in fact, several times I thought it was a very distant station.

Were they operating a day time power all day? I see that their night time power is 100 watts. Could it be that they got caught?

Also, early Saturday morning (about 3 a.m.) KFNX had a news broadcast, which must have been about a month old. They were talking about O J Simpson returning to Florida, and the Phil Spector trial. I know, for KFNX this about par, but you would think they would try and correct such errors on the spot. Are they not staffed over night? Maybe the operator fell asleep.

pberger said:
For the last six months or so I have been listening to KFNN quite a bit at night. The signal was always respectable, and I had no trouble listening in central Phoenix. But, starting about a week ago, I can barely pick them out; in fact, several times I thought it was a very distant station.

Were they operating a day time power all day? I see that their night time power is 100 watts. Could it be that they got caught?

Someone getting caught? Shirley you jest!

Unable to afford the dependable lamptimer Gumpdusky uses, KFNN relies on board ops trained at KFNX where local sunset is an unknown term. Believe me, the Nurse and I know the difference between a 22,000 watt signal and KFNN's blazing 100 watts at night. Liar liar, pantelones en fuego!

We automate our day and night transition, and it's closely monitored. Posts like Akbar are the reason I can't stand this board - I just thought I'd clear the air. Most of the nighttime hash you hear is interference from a recently upgraded night signal out of Denver that effectively butchers an unprotected night signal here in the Valley. Akbar, please go back to your cute little sayings about KT'R and TMISU. It's really not old at all, and still as witty as ever.

Thanks!

The Nurse and I'll consider your request and handle it appropriately ::). In the meantime, monitor that "automated" system a little closer as we know a boomin' signal after sunset from 100 watts is kinda hard to believe. Thanks for visiting this board...please come back again!

ndugu: Thanks for the explanation. Is that station in Denver a sports talk station? I'm sorry that it has cut into your reception so much. I often listened to some of the night shows on KFNN: Bruce Williams, Jim Blasingame. I also appreciate the Ray Lucia show for it's down to earth advice. Too bad you can't carry all three hours.

Dr. Akbar said:
Someone getting caught? Shirley you jest!

Unable to afford the dependable lamptimer Gumpdusky uses, KFNN relies on board ops trained at KFNX where local sunset is an unknown term. Believe me, the Nurse and I know the difference between a 22,000 watt signal and KFNN's blazing 100 watts at night. Liar liar, pantelones en fuego!

While Akbar may have erred (wax-buildup in his poetic license?) in his portrayl of
KFNN, you have to admit this was one of the best "back-door" skewerings of two
of our broadcastingly-challenged local stations in quite some time--Gumpdusky's
engineering practices and Francis X. Bushman's engineering indiscretions.

And this just in...guess who didn't drop power--again--tonight at 6:00?
If you guessed KFNX 1100 Cave Creek, and are the ninth caller, you win!

It's juuuuust after 7:30 and KFNX is hitting about 75% on my Sangean 909
signal meter here in the 'Tuke. When they are operating legally at night
the meter read is only 20-25%, with more Grand Junction than Cave Creek.

Seems to me the last time they pulled this was on a Tuesday evening.
Just what is on early Tuesday evenings that is sooooooo important that
Francis X. and company deem it necessary to flaunt the rules? Big bucks
to illegally run 50 gallons from the Colon Blow Cocoa Show?

BTW, this morning the Lumberyard was not yet on around 6:10, not even
at 52 watts. A bit after 6:30 (October power-up) I did hear them on
running 5 kw.

I completely understand the blasting of KFNX and FB and the way in which they have consistently ignored the rules regarding nighttime power. It's a shame that that isn't the only disgusting level of disrespect they've shown to an industry. If we've ever had a push of some extra juice when the sun was a little too far around the globe, it pales in comparison to these other violations. You know, I've been managing KFNN diligently for almost 10 years now, and I don't know another station that performs at our level with the limitations we have (signal).

I've just sat by and read post after post wondering what so many people on these boards have ever done to affect radio one way or another besides type, retype, and marvel at their well-worded BS. The more I read these posts, the more I realize that for some on these boards, this may truly be their best work in radio.

Thanks guys for rarely mentioning KFNN except for the occasional bash. Thank you for the kind words that a select few have said. I love making an independent radio station sound bigger than it should, and even with no remarkable "Arbitron" ratings, making countless numbers of listeners happy. I'll keep visiting the boards, and throw in my two cents when asked (or when I'm compelled to whine).

Thanks,
Brian DuBose
Programming & Operations
1510 KFNN, Financial Newsradio

Brian, I do believe that KFNN is an example of what local radio should be. I probably listen to your station more than other. I think you are way above anybody else in broadcasting shows live, not tape delayed. Also, you have quite a few local shows that are interesting, entertaining and informative. I expecially like the Morning Breakfast....those guys are good and fun to listen to.

KFNN reminds me of what radio used to be. I remember before Clear Channel bought KFYI, when Fred Weber owned it and most shows were local. I just regret that that signal is coming in from Denver to ruin your after dark reception.

I like KFNN, except when my stocks are tanking.

And that ain't your fault!

I do agree about KFNX, it is the largest waste of signal out there. The owner doesn't give a rat's ass about running a quality station, just colon cleansing shows.

pberger said:
KFNN reminds me of what radio used to be. I remember before Clear Channel bought KFYI, when Fred Weber owned it and most shows were local. I just regret that that signal is coming in from Denver to ruin your after dark reception.

We interrupt this Oprah moment to bring you two important facts: 1) Prior to the FCC giving up on AM, KFNN was a daytime only station and 2) even with skywave interference from Denver, don't expect miracles with 100 watts comin' from four sticks at 15~Ten.

Contrary to what has been said, the Nurse and I think KFNN consistently delivers on what their listeners want. They're in the same league as KFWhyEye when it comes to knowing their audience. What impresses us about KFNN is they don't need ratings to grab ad dollars. Plus we've yet to hear a COLON BLOW program!

The post is about KFNN's night time signal, not about their programming. We now return you to the list with comments in progress.......

I understand that - but being in charge of our power up and power down makes me defensive about accusations about abusing our sunrise/sunset authorizations. By the way, my standing rule (after I took over) was no Colon Blow on weekdays or between 8a-5p weekends.

Thanks for the nice words, guys!

Forgot to answer an earlier question - yes that's a sports station coming out of Denver. So depending on where you are in the valley, Bruce Williams comes mixed with High School Football commentary for free!

KFNN audible in CenPho? When? I never got them very well even in the car either in the Camelback corridor, Arcadia, or in front of their studio. But if you do want to hear them at night, step over to my neighborhood and we'll travel a few miles east, where they do step all over co-channel KSPA in Southern California.

Brian, nothing personal, but let's lay off the criticism of KFNX. KFNN is an example of what local radio should be? Hmm?! Let's see, the only local shows, other than your morning show (good guy) are hosted by people who, like the hosts at KFNX, pay for them time. The rest of the time is filled by arrogant putzes like Ray Lucia and sheisters like the Stock Doctor, some of whom also pay for the time. Your service elements are piped in from Metro. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you've got people manning that ship 24 hours a day - isn't it mostly automated? At least you know KFNX has someone at the helm because they've got people paying into all hours of the evening. You at KFNN, the business station, should know that radio is a business. Perhaps I'll change my mind the next time 1510 blips in some demo with a 0.3, but until then, let's not think KFNN is exactly mass market radio. It's devised to make Ron Cohen a tidy sum of money, and I think that's great. Even if no one is listening. But let's not call the kettle black.

BTW, can we get it over with the "colon cleansing" shows. Every station runs them, even KFYI. What differentiates KFNX is the same thing that differentiates KFNN. But, an automated, largely devoid of talent, super-niche format is apparently so beloved to some of us that it can do no wrong.

KJCB said:
KFNN audible in CenPho? When? I never got them very well even in the car either in the Camelback corridor, Arcadia, or in front of their studio. But if you do want to hear them at night, step over to my neighborhood and we'll travel a few miles east, where they do step all over co-channel KSPA in Southern California.

Brian, nothing personal, but let's lay off the criticism of KFNX. KFNN is an example of what local radio should be? Hmm?! Let's see, the only local shows, other than your morning show (good guy) are hosted by people who, like the hosts at KFNX, pay for them time. The rest of the time is filled by arrogant putzes like Ray Lucia and sheisters like the Stock Doctor, some of whom also pay for the time. Your service elements are piped in from Metro. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you've got people manning that ship 24 hours a day - isn't it mostly automated? At least you know KFNX has someone at the helm because they've got people paying into all hours of the evening. You at KFNN, the business station, should know that radio is a business. Perhaps I'll change my mind the next time 1510 blips in some demo with a 0.3, but until then, let's not think KFNN is exactly mass market radio. It's devised to make Ron Cohen a tidy sum of money, and I think that's great. Even if no one is listening. But let's not call the kettle black.

BTW, can we get it over with the "colon cleansing" shows. Every station runs them, even KFYI. What differentiates KFNX is the same thing that differentiates KFNN. But, an automated, largely devoid of talent, super-niche format is apparently so beloved to some of us that it can do no wrong.

If you were ever looking for a sign of the Apocolypse, here it is! This posting will adorn the Hall of Fame at our Buckeye Media Hut for being the ONLY positive comment about KFNX Nurse Jeff and I've seen in the past seven years. At least KFNN is listenable (daylight hours only) and you don't feel the need to take a shower when you turn off the radio!

In the late 1970's I used to pick up the Phoenix area 1510 near LAX clearly around 15 minutes before, in those days, sign off.

You're right, Jon, it does sound pretty good in certain areas out here in SoCal. As to the good Doc, I'm happy I could be a source of entertainment. May my words provide for tasteful decoration.

I'm surprised nobody else has pointed this out yet: KGA in Spokane, the dominant western 1510 and the one that KFNN protects, has a pending application to drop its class A status to class B and reduce its night power to 15 kW. (Mapleton Communications, which owns the 1510 in the San Francisco area, bought KGA so it could carry out the downgrade and then upgrade its California 1510.)

The KGA application explicitly lists KFNN as being one of the other western 1510s that will have the opportunity to upgrade its night signal as a result of KGA's downgrade. (The others are in Fresno, Denver and somewhere in Montana, if memory serves.)

Scott Fybush said:
The KGA application explicitly lists KFNN as being one of the other western 1510s that will have the opportunity to upgrade its night signal as a result of KGA's downgrade. (The others are in Fresno, Denver and somewhere in Montana, if memory serves.)

Another upgrade for Denver (Littleton) on 15~ten aint gonna help KFNN. Thanks to our early sunsets (no MST aqui, amigo) the Littleton station sails into metro Phoenix pretty well at night. KFNN would be better served to buy a better signal (could've bought KMVP from TMISU). But one thing Nurse Jeff and I question is: Why? KFNN's target audience aint listening to radio after sunset anyway ::).

Ah...but you and Nurse Jeff are missing the point here: without a class A station in Spokane to protect, it's not just Littleton that can upgrade. KFNN can almost surely get much more than 100 watts out of the deal...probably not a full-metro signal, granted, but enough to overcome the incoming signal from Littleton.

The biggest issue, I'd think, would be that Mesa city of license. As a "class D" signal, KFNN doesn't have to put any nighttime signal over Mesa at all. As a class B signal, it would have to put an interference-free signal over at least 80% of Mesa, which might be tricky from the 960 site. On the other hand, changing city of license is now a pretty simple procedure for an AM station, as long as they're not the only service to that community.

See, KXAM is good for something after all!

You're right about the COL, Scott; it always seemed interesting that Peoria didn't have a local service. I think you could city-grade Peoria from 34th and Pinnacle Peak. Then again, there may be large undeveloped swaths of Peoria that extend further than I know.

BTW, when did Mapleton buy KGA, and why did CDL sell it to them? Besides the obvious reasons, they have one of the bigger, more efficient clusters there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom