• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFAQ Hits the Reset Button: New Program Lineup

Just flipped it past KFAQ and heard a promo for America's Radio News coming up next.

I checked the website and program schedule:
http://1170kfaq.com/programs.html

Elvis Polo and Eddie Huff's shows are gone. I don't know what this is America Radio News program is. It sounds like a Fox News Channel wannabe thing.

Anyone know what's up?

Correction:
Elvis moves to Saturday's at 12pm, Eddie Huff Sundays at 4pm. However, they are both no longer heard M-F except on the Pat Campbell Show.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Just flipped it past KFAQ and heard a promo for America's Radio News coming up next.

Elvis Polo and Eddie Huff's shows are gone. I don't know what this is America Radio News program is. It sounds like a Fox News Channel wannabe thing.

Anyone know what's up?

America's Radio News is a new longform news product that I think first became available in March. It is from the same company responsible for syndicating the likes of Michael Savage, Laura Ingraham, Rusty Humphries and some others of their ilk. They produce news in 3 hour blocks or something similar. Sounds like a time-filler to me.

I've heard some demos, and it sounds VERY much like Fox News Channel, so I think we all know what that means.

ionosphere said:
Glenn Quagmire said:

Anyone know what's up?

America's Radio News is a new longform news product that I think first became available in March. It is from the same company responsible for syndicating the likes of Michael Savage, Laura Ingraham, Rusty Humphries and some others of their ilk. They produce news in 3 hour blocks or something similar. Sounds like a time-filler to me.

I've heard some demos, and it sounds VERY much like Fox News Channel, so I think we all know what that means.
Couldn't agree more with the FNC comparison. I listened yesterday and said to myself the exact same thing.

KFAQ seems VERY automated w/local human beings only from 6-9am. Brian Gann is doing news and traffic in the afternoon, but none of it seems "live."

The "Radio News" show seems like cheap filler. They have Jerry Doyle tape delayed from 2-5pm. I just don't see that show gaining any traction around here in the ratings.

Ingraham is one of the most obnoxious people on the radio, however I'm not sure why KFAQ moved her to 9pm-12am. Are her #'s that bad here?

TRN-Home of Savage, Ingraham, etc.... is a poor man's Premiere Radio, so I can't imagine it was a "cost" issue w/Ingraham's show.

It's odd KFAQ, KVOO, and 99.5 get absolutely no play on these boards. These were at one point strong stations.

I remember KVOO on 1170 being country w/weather from KOTV in the 90s and an excellent news team. When it flipped to conservative talk (one can argue the merits) I don't know how this station couldn't be successful. Strong signal, a market that eats that type of thing up, and a rising star in Glenn Beck.

But, the local news is hanging on by a thread, the program lineup does a radical makeover every 18-24 months, the station tries to be local talk, then it doesn't, then tries again.

I can't be the only one paying attention.

You had the Delgornio Debacle, you had Chris Medlock's failed show and subsequent disappearance, you had another afternoon or early evening show in 2006 or 2007 that was very short lived. Anything else I'm leaving out?

That cluster is a mess. Literally a CLUSTER. KFAQ is a joke. The new morning show on KVOO is not good. Rowdy has a big voice, but he sounds like a PM drive guy trying to fit in on a morning show. I give it 6 to 9 months. Morning drive at KVOO has been a revolving door for everybody but Sunny. She sounds great. Brian Gann is a talented guy, but his staff is a fraction of the size of KRMG. (I bet he has Cox Envy.) PLUS he is on the AM dial. AM=ALL MEXICAN!

shaneradio said:
That cluster is a mess. Literally a CLUSTER. KFAQ is a joke. The new morning show on KVOO is not good. Rowdy has a big voice, but he sounds like a PM drive guy trying to fit in on a morning show. I give it 6 to 9 months. Morning drive at KVOO has been a revolving door for everybody but Sunny. She sounds great. Brian Gann is a talented guy, but his staff is a fraction of the size of KRMG. (I bet he has Cox Envy.) PLUS he is on the AM dial. AM=ALL MEXICAN!

Putting Rowdy on mornings was worth the shot, but you're right, he's a PM drive guy. That's what he did for years in Houston. You can't argue with KVOO's airstaff...Rowdy, adding Kellie Cash from K95.5...they have the talent, they just don't have the listeners.

KVOO is lucky to have Rowdy on board. It sounds like in spite of his presence Journal is finding a way to screw things up.

I ran into a friend of Sunny's this past weekend and she confirmed what we hear on the air. There is not much chemistry on or off the air. She will probably ride this one out as well. It is hard to believe how many people have been through that morning show while she remains the constant. The Revolving Door Show w/Sunny. (She is excellent BTW, not her fault)

Do you guys have anything better to do with your time?

Do YOU have jobs?

You are like vultures!!! (shaneradio)

People are doing the best they can in this freakin' economy and you sit around picking people and stations apart.

Find something good to do with your time...volunteer at a hospital, go walk dogs at a shelter.

When something sucks, it sucks regardless of the economy. I understand what you're saying, but understand there's plenty of us on the board that think the general state of radio right now is much worse than the economy (as far as how far downhill it is). Some of us hae been around long enough to remember that what radio is today is a far cry from what it was in the past. I know nothing stays the same forever and a person needs to adapt, but when our industry becomes so lousy that stations become unlistenable, isn't it a natural reaction for PROFESSIONALS not to like it?

Sadly, many of the people that work at stations that have issues discussed on here are just as frustrated with the product as we are. The only difference is they work there with their hands tied (so they can't do anything about it) and mouth sown shut by the beancounters. Since there's only a few players in town these days, it's "shut up and do what you're told" these days. There's no room to try to correct things because there is no other place to go if you piss off the beancounters. Sadly, the more this situation progresses, the lousier revenue becomes so there's even less options and jobs.

Until private owners that actually care about the product step in after the fire sale (when the groups eventually cave in on themselves), it'll just be more of the same. Meanwhile more and more people put Pandora, Slacker, and all the other nice apps on their phones. The public already has a cure for crappy radio programming it seems. We better do something, and do something quick about our indstry lack-of-quality control.

OKCRadioGuy said:
Until private owners that actually care about the product step in after the fire sale (when the groups eventually cave in on themselves), it'll just be more of the same. Meanwhile more and more people put Pandora, Slacker, and all the other nice apps on their phones. The public already has a cure for crappy radio programming it seems. We better do something, and do something quick about our indstry lack-of-quality control.

Sadly, Amen.

OkieDJ said:
Do you guys have anything better to do with your time?

Do YOU have jobs?

You are like vultures!!! (shaneradio)

People are doing the best they can in this freakin' economy and you sit around picking people and stations apart.

Find something good to do with your time...volunteer at a hospital, go walk dogs at a shelter.

You must be in radio management! The problem is, people like you AREN'T doing the best you can. I know the economy is a convenient excuse, but the reality is that management always tries to do what they can to keep money in their pockets. Unfortunately, this is at the expense of the listener, who is subject to a terribly inferior product. Clear Channel is quite often the biggest example of this, but even smaller groups like Journal are guilty as well. Cox can be lumped in with this motley crew, but I actually think they tend to put a decent product out there, with some notable exceptions (KRMG!). I try not to blame corporate bosses for the dismal failures of local management, which I think is the problem with Tulsa's Cox cluster (Joe Kelley!).

As for me, I've been out of radio for nearly 5 years now. I wasn't fired, nor was I forced out. I left voluntarily because radio stopped being fun. It became a massive hassle dealing with people who decided that saving a few bucks was more important than doing their real jobs...entertaining listeners! I've been offered the chance to return to the industry, as recently as last winter. I can't bring myself to do it, because radio has become so corporate driven.

I've never volunteered at a hospital, but I occasionally volunteer at a local nursing home. I don't walk dogs at the shelter, but I do take in shelter dogs when I decide my family needs another furry member. Am I a good person now?

So true. There are those that seem to show up on here as cheerleaders for the beancounters. Why? Who knows. But I'm certainly not going to go on here defending them. THEY ARE the reason the industry is hanging on by a thread. They are the cause. The product has become overall so piss-poor that the public has went elsewhere. It's not unlike a formerly succeful resturant that gets bought by some idiots that let it all go to hell. Given a couple months of bad management and they might as well lock the doors. No one will bother anymore. If our industry can't get it's head out of it's rear soon, we'll be that shuttered business. I for one am not going to celebrate the demise of our industry because someone in a ivory tower somewhere that knows NOTHING of our business wants to cut the last corner that kills us. I agree that Cox in general seems to have a better product, even though it's all top-down from corporate. I just hope KRMG's recent sillyness isn't a long-term trend. If it is, AM might as well stand for ALL MEXICAN.

And 1170 "lost it" ever since the idiots up northward decided to take a perfectly working classic country format (that appearently they couldn't find sales people that could SELL IT) and tried to force more talk radio on the dial. It didn't work for 1170, and it hasn't worked for 1520 in OKC either. Half-harted, low-budget talk is a joke. Why bother...

You must be in radio management! The problem is, people like you AREN'T doing the best you can. I know the economy is a convenient excuse, but the reality is that management always tries to do what they can to keep money in their pockets. Unfortunately, this is at the expense of the listener, who is subject to a terribly inferior product. Clear Channel is quite often the biggest example of this, but even smaller groups like Journal are guilty as well. Cox can be lumped in with this motley crew, but I actually think they tend to put a decent product out there, with some notable exceptions (KRMG!). I try not to blame corporate bosses for the dismal failures of local management, which I think is the problem with Tulsa's Cox cluster (Joe Kelley!).

As for me, I've been out of radio for nearly 5 years now. I wasn't fired, nor was I forced out. I left voluntarily because radio stopped being fun. It became a massive hassle dealing with people who decided that saving a few bucks was more important than doing their real jobs...entertaining listeners! I've been offered the chance to return to the industry, as recently as last winter. I can't bring myself to do it, because radio has become so corporate driven.

I've never volunteered at a hospital, but I occasionally volunteer at a local nursing home. I don't walk dogs at the shelter, but I do take in shelter dogs when I decide my family needs another furry member. Am I a good person now?

Yes, You are a good person..:)

I'm not even close to being in management. I have been in radio 20-plus yrs. I too, agree with what most of you are saying about corporate radio. It's sad that money has become more important than product. No one is being forced to work for corporate radio.

Corporate radio just figured out how to do it faster with less...just like the rest of the world in everything else in America.

Does it suck? Yes, it does. We can sit around and gripe about it, or we can use what we have, that they can't find cheap...LIVE personality, LIVE reports when it storms, Bonding with listeners in person/facebook/twitter.

When we connect with listeners, we bring ratings. Listeners aren't stupid, they can smell fake a mile away. Either you are genuine or you are not.

I just can't stand reading about jocks cutting down other jocks on here. We all know each other, yes, we all wan't to win in ratings...but can't we show a little class and not rip each other apart so much? I have been to too many DJ funerals lately and reading of friends from other stations with heart problems and cancer. A little support for each other once in while or helpful advice would sure be a nice change...I'm just sayin....

That brings up an interesting point in all of this. Most of the time the guys even in "managment" at the local level are just caretakers in most corporate enviroments. Truthfully, most of them are frustrated that they have little control over the product. Corporate yells jump and it's their job to ask "How high today kind sir?" not to question how bad things have become in programming. You either follow the "direction" of the company or find yourself outside looking in. Welcome to today's radio. It doesn't inspire creativity. It doesn't inspire someone even raising their hand to suggest something as a fix to what they see is wrong or could be better. It's all about "shut up and do what you're told!". Again, the only fix for any of this eventually is for the bean-counter companies to loose so much they have to sell some properties, allowing someone that actually gives a damn to come in and take a few risks to do something right for a change. For the industries sake I hope that happens sooner than later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom