• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEZ's Silent Night (& Day) Ends 11/09

Jeez...Santa's little helpers at KEZ have awaken and will bring All Ho-Ho-Ho Music to the Valley on Friday https://kez999.iheart.com/featured/...-to-christmas-music-this-friday-november-9th/ Guess those elves got blitzed on hot buttered rum and completely forgot KOOL has been having a Wonderful Christmastime since last Friday! Never in Media Hut history have Nurse Jeff and I seen a station that owned a franchise for decades roll over so easily. A tip of the fez to Entercom for catching I ♥ Bankruptcy completely off guard!

The great transition to Christmas music was at 5:18 P.M. today on (11/09/2018). Last song played before Beth flipped the switch from AC to Christmas music? Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars. First Christmas song? It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by Andy Williams. Within the first hour, Felix Navidad was played twice! Quite a tight Christmas playlist there by I Heart Radio!

Quite a tight Christmas playlist there by I Heart Radio!

Actually it's a very broad list, playing everything from Gene Autry to Lady Antebellum. Multiple versions of classic titles. I see lots of novelty songs including The Chipmunk Song in there. But the one thing I notice is it's basically the same list in the same order that you'll hear on WLIT, KOST, and other iHeart stations nationally. Not that anyone in Phoenix will actually care, but it seems to be coming from the same hard drive.

Within the first hour, Felix Navidad was played twice!

Hey...Felix went to Buckeye H.S. with Nurse Jeff and me. Glad to hear he's simply having a wonderful Christmastime!

The elves at KEZ aren’t having a happy Thanksgiving as they’re on their low power backup transmitter with some crosstalk from some other station. Scrooge must have visited their transmitter last night. Bah humbug indeed!

No wonder the HD signal is turned off and the FM signal sounds awful! I thought the Christmas songs sounded weird with some talk in the background. It’s clear that nobody is working at IHeart Radio today because the two feeds coming through is something that should not be lasting as long as it has.

Bad egg nog served at 99~Nine this Turkey Day? No prob...we're KOOL in the Valley!

No wonder the HD signal is turned off and the FM signal sounds awful! I thought the Christmas songs sounded weird with some talk in the background. It’s clear that nobody is working at IHeart Radio today because the two feeds coming through is something that should not be lasting as long as it has.

It’s even worse tonight. There’s spurious emissions three channels below and above 99.9. Sign of transmitter meltdown, or at least, a bad exciter. Maybe it was “The Breeze” that broke it!

It’s even worse tonight. There’s spurious emissions three channels below and above 99.9. Sign of transmitter meltdown, or at least, a bad exciter. Maybe it was “The Breeze” that broke it!

It is much worse tonight! Driving around Gilbert, I couldn’t even get a solid signal, it was all garabled nonsense, as if the station was a million miles away. Obviously no one from I Heart Radio was working today to fix it. Who does this benefit? KOOL-FM!

Sure you're not getting some tropo ducting from a temperature inversion? What you're describing is what it sounds like and there's nothing you can do other than wait for it to warm up. Usually rolls in around sunset and sticks around until 10 or 11 the next day.

Last time it happened to me in Houston, I sat in the station's parking lot and heard Tejano from San Antonio on top of my station. Punching around I had Oklahoma City coming in like a local, 3 Dallas stations, and a bunch of FMs from Louisiana.

Bud Wilkinson caught a Kansas City FM in the middle of Phoenix on a major skip years ago. Good times.

While KEZ was dealing with bad trope (or massive flatulence coming from the Buckeye Media Hut), 94~Five KOOL-FM had a sky writer in the atmosphere Thursday night billboarding themselves as "The Christmas Station". It flew over major shopping centers and high traffic streets in a oneupmanship with 99~Nine. Will there be a changing of the guard when it comes to All Ho-Ho-Ho Music domination? The Nurse and I will wager a yule log that that KOOL gets traction from getting to the North Pole first this year.

Sure you're not getting some tropo ducting from a temperature inversion? What you're describing is what it sounds like and there's nothing you can do other than wait for it to warm up. Usually rolls in around sunset and sticks around until 10 or 11 the next day.

Last time it happened to me in Houston, I sat in the station's parking lot and heard Tejano from San Antonio on top of my station. Punching around I had Oklahoma City coming in like a local, 3 Dallas stations, and a bunch of FMs from Louisiana.

Bud Wilkinson caught a Kansas City FM in the middle of Phoenix on a major skip years ago. Good times.

I caught some good midwest activity this summer when monitoring E-skip. As far as Decatur, IL. E-skip/tropo normally happens during the summer months.

But, the issue with KESZ last night seemed more like homegrown transmitter/exciter issues. They were able to fix it this morning, but I don't know if that's just a "Band-Aid™" for the problem. KRDE out of Globe had the same issues this summer, but we know that iHeart is running higher end equipment than a PTEK (or whatever KRDE is using) transmitter.

This year I nabbed five stations, including one in the St. Louis era, and an unidentified Mexican. Probably could have gotten more if not for the glut of translators here (some of which, like 94.9 for 95.1, seem utterly redundant by me)...

This year I nabbed five stations, including one in the St. Louis era, and an unidentified Mexican. Probably could have gotten more if not for the glut of translators here (some of which, like 94.9 for 95.1, seem utterly redundant by me)...

I agree. The FCC ruined the AM band by licensing too many stations, now they are doing the same thing with the FM band. Case in point, 102.9 FM. I can drive from the west valley to the east valley and hear 3 different stations fighting it out with rarely one station dominating.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom