• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KESZ Christmas

I wonder in 2023 might a competitor emerge for 99.9 KEZ if they got competition i bet you they’d lay off the early Christmas tunes

I wonder in 2023 might a competitor emerge for 99.9 KEZ if they got competition i bet you they’d lay off the early Christmas tunes
Not likely. The core of mainstream AC is 25-54 women, particularly 35-54. In nearly all markets, it's been proven going back to the early 1990's that Christmas music is the music of that group during the 6 to 8 weeks prior to Christmas.

This is why most AC's that go "all Christmas" increase their audience by 50% up to nearly 150% over the other 11 books of the year. In other words, the existing audience listens more and non-listeners come to the station as well.

A traditional Christmas station, faced with a competitor, will make sure it gets into the seasonal music first.

Every station that has tried to take the Christmas crown from KEZ over the years has failed miserably. KOOL flipped to Christmas days or weeks earlier than KEZ a couple of times. KEZ basically ignored them, flipped the switch on the same date as they originally planned, and proceeded to clean KOOL's clock. KOOL actually managed to lose share playing all Christmas music a few years ago despite the head start. I think KOAI in their early soft AC Oasis days tried unsuccessfully to go all-Christmas as well. The Christmas audience in the Valley knows to find it on 99.9 every year. And they expect it in early November.

I really don't like Christmas music. Same 35 songs and every year some artist thinks that their version will be the amazing one. I can think of no worse torture...

Ironically enough, I could be mistaken KEZ still hasn't played the Jimmy Eat World version of "Last Christmas" and they're local. How can a Christmas format skip the local talent? (Rhetorical question, of course.)

Ironically enough, I could be mistaken KEZ still hasn't played the Jimmy Eat World version of "Last Christmas" and they're local. How can a Christmas format skip the local talent? (Rhetorical question, of course.)
I've definitely heard it on KEZ in years past. Haven't tuned in yet this year.

Give Beth McDonald (AM DJ) a call in the morning and submit a request. She mentioned on TV yesterday they take request calls all day long.

Driving down to Phoenix from Prescott at 4 am on Wednesday, November 23rd.
Because of the Thanksgiving Holiday, I thought I'd partake one of the Phoenix
FM stations for traffic reports and a change in music. KOAI/95.1 playing their
"Wow" factor mix, a few commercials, no traffic reports. KESZ/99.9, thought
I'd enjoy some Christmas music to get into the holiday spirit. From 4:12 am to
4:30 am, nothing but mindless commercials. Oh wait, a Christmas song! From
4:33 am to 4:47 am, more commercials. Changed to KAHM/102.1 Prescott,
4 songs, 3 commercials, stations I.d. back to 5 more songs, 2 commercials, then
back to music. Tuned to KTAR/92.3, at 5: 16, commercials, commercials and
more commercials, finally a weather check, news and traffic report.
Precisely why I hate so many "big city" stations. So many commercials that if
I were looking to advertise on radio, I'd avoid most stations because my spot
would be lost among all the others.......

Precisely why I hate so many "big city" stations. So many commercials that if
I were looking to advertise on radio, I'd avoid most stations because my spot
would be lost among all the others.......
I've raised this issue in the past - especially when you've just listened to "six commercials in a row". I would think the advertisers would have caught on by now. Of course the marketing types will insist people actually listen to the stop set. I think otherwise.

I've noticed TV stations are now doing "bookends" where the exact same commercial is shown as the first and last in a stop set. That doesn't work for me any more than on radio. By that time I will have hit the pre-set and if it happens too much I will delete the pre-set.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom