• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEGL

Let's also remember, WMMS has one of the best rated rock morning shows in the Country. THAT is going to be something The Eagle needs to build if they are going to truly take a run.

iHM has an obsession with "Sister Christian" for some reason.

Here is the KEGL log:

A lot of song repetition since Monday, which is unsurprising given the fact the rebirth of the Eagle just occurred.
That log may not pick up everything that’s played. I’ve noticed recently 25-30 minute gaps in some of the iHeart recently played lists, songs have played but haven’t logged for some reason.

Ben & Skin started a YouTube show on Monday.

About 18 minutes in, they address The Freak going away, how they're all sad because they put a lot into it, but there's a lot they can't say because they're still under contract.
I think there was some confusion regarding B&S coming back to 97.1 as The Eagle on one of the other threads. It seems their “comeback” is their YouTube show, not on 97.1FM.

Real Radio 104.1 Orlando 90s to Now
102.5 The Bone Tampa 2012 to Now
97.9 The Loop Chicago in the 90s
Also many FM Sports stations (especially those owned by Audacy that evolved from CBS' "Free-FM" debacle) have retained many of the Hot Talk morning shows and format elements

Real Radio 104.1 DID have Howard Stern in the morning from the early ‘90s until 2004 when Clear Channel dumped him from most of their stations and he got added to Infinity stations, before he left for satellite radio.

A meat and potatoes rock station playing Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Breaking Benjamin etc. in DFW is better than nothing. Within a week or so it fades into the "nothing special" realm, but for now it's quasi-new to that market and sounds good.

There is plenty of separation between this incarnation of KEGL and KVIL.

They're using the talkback function on the iheart application and airing voice messages for the station before going to breaks.

It's not much, but qualifies as more over the "air" listener interaction than takes place at 99% of other so called radio stations here in 2024.

Side note: Looking at the music log of 98 KUPD/Phoenix, this station, once considered one of the country's preeminent Active Rockers, played Aerosmith "Living on the Edge" (?!) and Scorpions within the last hour, two artists they hadn't been playing much of over the last 20 years or so, showing that the lines are blurring between the Mainstream Rock and Active Rock format.

Last edited:
Oh, dear. I hate to break it to you, but maximum profit was always the goal. Listeners aren’t the customers, advertisers are.

Boy, is that one of the most misunderstood facts among people not in the industry ...

Conversation I have had more than one time too many with an "ordinary listener" who took me to task for not playing some obscure song which they loved but which has so little airplay history that it is missing from Mediabase:

Listener: You have to play more of my personal favorites. I'm your customer and "the customer is always right".
KMR: Ummm ... no, you're not my customer. The radio station is my customer. I provide the programming to them.
Listener: Okay, so I'm the radio station's customer, and they should tell you to play more of the songs I like.
KMR: Actually, you're not the station's customer ...
Listener: No? Then who is?
KMR: The local businesses. The station sells advertising to them based on the number of listeners. My job is to provide programming that attracts as many listeners as possible, and that means playing songs that the highest number of people agree that they want to listen to.
Listener (by this time sputtering because "their music" is getting lost in the explanation): But ... but ... but that means that ...
KMR: That you are the "product" the station is selling to the businesses.

There is a further punch line ...

Listener: And just how long has this been the mindset?
KMR: Longer than you and I have been alive. This has always been the business model of radio.

Listener then goes away, very unhappily ... but will still advocate for wider playlists or saving "their" format the next time the subject comes up. And the cycle continues.

Last edited:
Listener then goes away, very unhappily ... but will still advocate for wider playlists or saving "their" format the next time the subject comes up. And the cycle continues.

The relationship between listeners and radio stations has changed in the 20 or so years since on-demand streaming began. Some users confuse the two platforms. The point I always bring up is that radio stations ask nothing from its listeners. They don't require a subscription, a credit card, a username or password. Just turn it on and listen.

I think there was some confusion regarding B&S coming back to 97.1 as The Eagle on one of the other threads. It seems their “comeback” is their YouTube show, not on 97.1FM.

No. They are going back to the Eagle.

Just sit back and watch.

Woody - mornings
PD - mid days
B&S - afternoons
Mavs and Klinger at night

No. They are going back to the Eagle.

Just sit back and watch.

Woody - mornings
PD - mid days
B&S - afternoons
Mavs and Klinger at night
Ive heard the same thing from my Dallas radio source. I’m surprised they’re not on already since the Mavs are on playoff run, just eliminated the clippers the other day. I think they need B&S so they wont tank their relationship with the Mavs.

I'm still a little confused with some of the music. There are glimpses of perfections - and then they slip off into lala land. I don't want to knee jerk . . . but I think it deserves some credit for how it sounds right now.

You can be sure they tested all those songs. Sorry you weren't on the email list but rest assured those songs were favorites of other people just like you! 😂

I said this a few days ago and y’all said there was no difference.
The only potential difference I see is a little wider selection of 90s alternative.

All the "heavier" artists 103.7 plays - and that list is fairly small - have already been heard on that station for many months.

I see little discernible difference between 103.7's playlist and most of the other Audacy alternative stations.

You can be sure they tested all those songs. Sorry you weren't on the email list but rest assured those songs were favorites of other people just like you! 😂

Did they test Sabotage by the Beastie Boys?

If they tested Tears for Fears and everyone liked it, would they play it?

And because some unknown poster on a message board says it, should I "rest assured those songs were favorites of other people just like me!"?

Back
Top Bottom