• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDUS: Bob Kemp whereabouts?

The venerable Arizona sports talk show host Bob Kemp has been missing from KDUS since April 15, unable to do his mid-morning show "The SportsZone." This doesn't seem to be a planned absence, as he had intended to do his usual yearly NFL draft preview and analysis throughout April. Does anyone know his status? He is still listed in the website and Facebook page.

On the April 14 "Extra Point" show, on-air with sidekick and KDUS PD Kayla Mortellaro, Kemp seemed out of sorts, so I'm wondering if it's a health issue.

Mortellaro is currently hosting Extra Point solo, and interviewing the regular guests Kemp used to interview on The SportsZone.

He's still out, and his page is still on the KDUS website. Not a peep on their Facebook page, either, but that seems to have been abandoned other than weekly notes for National Nurses Month. It's been a month and a half. Hopefully all is well with him.

For the first two Extra Point shows Kayla said "Bob is on assignment." Then she didn't mention him again. I am very annoyed. If he is ill then just say so even if you have to put a positive spin that he is recovering. I have noticed when other stations have fired talent the other hosts aren't supposed to mention him or her again. I have been a huge Bob Kemp fan for more than 25 years. He is my favorite sports talk show host (even though he seemed too apologetic of the Suns drafting Afton instead of Luka!).

For the first two Extra Point shows Kayla said "Bob is on assignment." Then she didn't mention him again. I am very annoyed. If he is ill then just say so even if you have to put a positive spin that he is recovering. I have noticed when other stations have fired talent the other hosts aren't supposed to mention him or her again. I have been a huge Bob Kemp fan for more than 25 years. He is my favorite sports talk show host (even though he seemed too apologetic of the Suns drafting Afton instead of Luka!).
I disagree. If someone has a personal reason to be off work, it's none of our business. The decision to share why with anyone, whether it be the public or the rest of the staff is Bob's, and his alone.

I didn't notice Bob being out of sorts on his last show but maybe I need to listen to it again. All I remember was a few jokes of how he was distracted by the bbq in the building. It seems unlikely that Bob said anything for him to be taken off the air suddenly but when Grant Napier can be fired for saying "all lives matter" you never know. Having been a huge Bob Kemp fan I highly doubt he said anything racially insensitive. I don't know his views on gay rights but I hope he wouldn't say anything homophobic. I really don't think so. Anyways I wouldn't have to speculate if Kayla on the extra point would say "Bob is in ill health" or "Bob was let go. If you have any questions call the station." Shame on you KDUS.I disagree. If someone has a personal reason to be off work, it's none of our business. The decision to share why with anyone, whether it be the public or the rest of the staff is Bob's, and his alone.

Ok. Then they.should say "Bob is not here for personal reasons". That ups be acceptable. That is what sports teams frequently do, as is often the case with Kyrie Irving.
I disagree. If someone has a personal reason to be off work, it's none of our business. The decision to share why with anyone, whether it be the public or the rest of the staff is Bob's, and his alone.
Then th
Then they should say " Bob is out for personal reasons" as in "Kyrie Irving is out for personal reasons". They don't have to say what the reason is or describe a medical procedure he is undergoing. But saying Bob is on assignment+ what does that mean? We sent Bob out to do a story and he hasn't come back? Bob's assignment is to be in the studio taking calls and doing interviews.

Thank you, John - I agree that we are not owed an explanation for his absence unless he decides to offer one. The silence indicates, I think, that the absence was health-related, not content-related.

Christopher, my understanding of baseball broadcasting jargon (Diamondbacks and SF Giants) is that "on assignment" is code for "on vacation" or "too sick to work," and only occasionally means "on assignment."

On today's Extra Point (7/11), Kayla M. confirmed Bob is doing the last bits of paperwork relating to his comeback from medical leave. According to her, he will return to The SportsZone this Thursday the 14th.

Bob was back this morning, sounding pretty much back to normal. Hopefully he made a full recovery from his medical issues.

Bob sounded a little softer than usual that day. He was much more himself today (Monday).

During that Thursday broadcast, he revealed he had suffered a TIA (i.e. a mini-stroke) on the air during the April 14 show. He also said he is working from home, not the Mother Hubbard studio complex, and that he may miss days as his medical rehab continues.

For the time being, instead of Kemp's old schedule of hosting the SportsZone for two hours and sitting in on a one-hour Extra Point, the SportsZone is now 1 hour and the XP is 2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom