• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDGE 102.1 is Imploding

Jagger Morning Show seems to be falling apart. Dean Lewis never really came back, Jasmine bolted for KSCS and now Mondo Mike has left the building. Does anyone smell a format flip? Stay tuned.

They should've nuked the poor thing years ago. The music will blend with 102.9 decently anyway, the rest would go to The Eagle.

Then the question raises, what the heck could CC even put on 102.1?
Maybe go "The Bull" route and take on Cumulus' monopoly on Country music in the market.

I constantly hear that Country Classic can't work because of the demos. If done correctly, I think it will work. But, I'm an ex-Classic Country jock - what do I know.

They should've nuked the poor thing years ago. The music will blend with 102.9 decently anyway, the rest would go to The Eagle.

Then the question raises, what the heck could CC even put on 102.1?
Maybe go "The Bull" route and take on Cumulus' monopoly on Country music in the market.

I agree that the (W)Edge(ie) should've left years ago. I figured iHeart could reformat it with "Alt 102.1" similar to 98.7 in LA and focus on indie bands that won't blend with 97.1 and 102.9. These days, I've been listening to 103.3 the App in San Antonio using their app on my phone and even their playlist and their imaging is way better than Edge.

On another note, I call 102.1 "Kiss FM #3" as 102.9 is "Kiss FM #2" since both stations lean more CHR than their actual formats.

I agree that the (W)Edge(ie) should've left years ago. I figured iHeart could reformat it with "Alt 102.1" similar to 98.7 in LA and focus on indie bands that won't blend with 97.1 and 102.9. These days, I've been listening to 103.3 the App in San Antonio using their app on my phone and even their playlist and their imaging is way better than Edge.

On another note, I call 102.1 "Kiss FM #3" as 102.9 is "Kiss FM #2" since both stations lean more CHR than their actual formats.

I agree

I constantly hear that Country Classic can't work because of the demos. If done correctly, I think it will work. But, I'm an ex-Classic Country jock - what do I know.

It works very well in Rural areas, done properly in DFW I think it has a chance. Maybe toss Red Dirt/Texas Country in the mix as well as any Nashville song that still sounds close enough to work well with the older hits.

That being said, I would be seriously surprised if iHeart put Classic Country on 102.1.

Tell that to the folks at KKUS/Tyler. Granted, I realize Tyler isn't as "urban" as the Metroplex....but it certainly supports your statement of "it'll work if done correctly". www,theranch.fm

"Country Legends 97.1" in Houston actually does surprisingly well in the 6+ numbers for a rimshot signal, but I suspect the audience is quite old.

"Country Legends 97.1" in Houston actually does surprisingly well in the 6+ numbers for a rimshot signal, but I suspect the audience is quite old.

Sure is an appropriate choice for the heart of the coverage area, though. Nothing else tried on 97-1 has ever matched the level of success Country Legends has had on the stick. It does well, absolutely, but put another classic country station on the air from Senior Rd., and KTHT withers and dies on the vine rather quickly. Glad we have it, and hopefully it sticks around for another few years. I suspect you're dead on that most of its listeners are on up there in age.

Of course, we're getting there, too...

It's no wonder The Edge is struggling. Sandwiched in that "rock wall" iHeart has in Dallas really does it no favors. History shows us that changing The Eagle was a mistake. Perhaps it's high time to hand the KDGE library over to KEGL, combining them as one, and trying a new direction at 102-1. Who really knows what iHeart may cook up, other than them?

It's no wonder The Edge is struggling. Sandwiched in that "rock wall" iHeart has in Dallas really does it no favors. History shows us that changing The Eagle was a mistake. Perhaps it's high time to hand the KDGE library over to KEGL, combining them as one, and trying a new direction at 102-1. Who really knows what iHeart may cook up, other than them?

KEGL has been playing bands like Weezer, Cake, and Radiohead (at least "Creep" but not any other songs). Also I haven't heard it but a friend did tell me bands like Imagine Dragons, The Black Keys, Cage the Elephant, Awolnation, and Mumford and Sons have had some airplay on KEGL as well. That could mean something...

Last night I listened to KDGE driving home and was impressed by the updated playlist. More currents and a WHOLE lot less grunge. I heard "Daughter" and one Alice in Chains song during the two hours I listened. There were still some old non-grunge 90s stand-bys like "Intergalactic" mixed in.

Flipped over to KEGL for just a second and the song that was playing was "Interstate Love Song." So I guess that's where the grunge library went.

My brother was listening to them one day between 11am and 8pm. He told me they still play a lot of 2000s gold and some 90s, but not enough new music. The moment I hear more indie bands (i.e Animal Collective, Beach House, The Kooks, The Parlotones), less poppy alternative (Lorde, Fun, Fall Out Boy), adding new wave and 80s alternative and deep cut 90s (not your typical "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Under the Bridge" playlist), all live DJs, and the return of Adventure Club and Edge Club, then maybe I'll go back to listening to them. In the meantime, they are still nails on the chalkboard to me. Yes, I ask for a lot from them since their move to 102.1 back in 2000 and how then-Clear Channel ruined that station.

My brother was listening to them one day between 11am and 8pm. He told me they still play a lot of 2000s gold and some 90s, but not enough new music. The moment I hear more indie bands (i.e Animal Collective, Beach House, The Kooks, The Parlotones), less poppy alternative (Lorde, Fun, Fall Out Boy), adding new wave and 80s alternative and deep cut 90s (not your typical "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Under the Bridge" playlist), all live DJs, and the return of Adventure Club and Edge Club, then maybe I'll go back to listening to them. In the meantime, they are still nails on the chalkboard to me. Yes, I ask for a lot from them since their move to 102.1 back in 2000 and how then-Clear Channel ruined that station.

Why did the Edge play "A Hard Days Night" by The Beatles around 3 this morning? Dosen't even fit their format.

Why did the Edge play "A Hard Days Night" by The Beatles around 3 this morning? Dosen't even fit their format.

Judging from the facts that the station has never played that song, and that according to BDS, it did indeed play not once, but twice during Monday's overnight shift - I would assume that there was an error along the lines of misplaced/mislabeled audio in their system and that it was not an "intentional" airing; once the error was caught it did not air again.

Judging from the facts that the station has never played that song, and that according to BDS, it did indeed play not once, but twice during Monday's overnight shift - I would assume that there was an error along the lines of misplaced/mislabeled audio in their system and that it was not an "intentional" airing; once the error was caught it did not air again.

A while back, I saw a post here that Edge "randomly" play "Enter Sandman" by Metallica at some point after the Eagle came back. Probably the same type of error before. Wouldn't be surprised if Edge "played" an Ariana Grande or Maroon 5 song soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom