• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCBS-AM was silent for 30 minutes

I was listening to KCBS on AM 740 starting from the 5pm national news on Sunday. Around 5:13, the 740 signal fell silent, so I had to change to 106.9 for the sports report.
Changing back to 740 during commercials, I again encountered dead air. Out of curiosity I kept my radio there, and the 740 signal returned around 5:47 during the second hourly sports update.
It seems that Sunday's stormy weather must have been very severe in Novato where the 740 transmitter is located, compared to Sausalito where 106.9 has its transmitter.

Live 105 is off the air right now and has been for two plus hours as well. Not a word on social media from them either…

This is a partial reason why some Bay Area stations are off the air.

KFBK 1530 in Sacramento was off for awhile... its always s9+60 or way better here 2300 miles away. I hgeard XEUr Mexico City in its place.

Storm was really bad - peak speeds of 102mph at high altitudes and 70mph on the peninsula and city.

Heard KITS-FM offline too, it seems to be on an auxiliary site. It had no HD last I was listening.

And as I was driving to work this morning in the South Bay, I tuned my radio to 90.5 (SJSU's campus radio station) around 8:17, and heard nothing but dead air.
Similarly, 92.3 and 94.5 also had no signal. But 106.5 did.
All these stations have transmitters in the same area around South San Jose (the Santa Teresa County Park, in fact), and PG&E does acknowledge outages in that part of SJ. But how can 106.5 be broadcasting while the other three not?

That's not good. Radio is supposed to be there for people when all else fails and in this case the all-news station was knocked off the air.

When Hurricane Sandy hit New York, WINS was knocked off, they added 92.3 (at the time, temporarily). The more powerful all-newser, WCBS, did not get knocked off the air.

That's not good. Radio is supposed to be there for people when all else fails and in this case the all-news station was knocked off the air.

When Hurricane Sandy hit New York, WINS was knocked off, they added 92.3 (at the time, temporarily). The more powerful all-newser, WCBS, did not get knocked off the air.

KCBS was still on FM, a full power at 106.9

If a site gets water invading it, it will/should go off, back up power or not, not a ton you can do about that

And as I was driving to work this morning in the South Bay, I tuned my radio to 90.5 (SJSU's campus radio station) around 8:17, and heard nothing but dead air.
Similarly, 92.3 and 94.5 also had no signal. But 106.5 did.
All these stations have transmitters in the same area around South San Jose (the Santa Teresa County Park, in fact), and PG&E does acknowledge outages in that part of SJ. But how can 106.5 be broadcasting while the other three not?
Generator

My daughter in Santa Rosa said Novato was "CLOSED".. Hahahaha.. Yeah, the storms have been rough on the Bay Area. Glad I'm not there.

It was fun that KCBS was off for a bit, as it enabled some rare DXing opportunities (CKGO came in loud and clear on 730, I heard KBRT from Costa Mesa, and I heard some stuff on 750. Both are impossible 24/7 because of KCBS' constant slop).

c

Edit: never mind — weather must be getting to me, misread.

Will take this time to say I hope all are safe and well now the storm has passed.

When the big hurricane hit Puerto Rico, out of 130 or so radio stations on the Island, exactly one remained on the air after the hurricane had passed over.

The WINS transmitter & towers are in swampland, the Meadowlands. WCBS is on High Island in the Long Island Sound, with sister WFAN-AM, and it was designed to ride out bad weather. Flooding there is not unexpected, and the water has some place to recede to. In the Meadowlands, once it floods, that water table's going to be high for awhile.

For the second day in a row, 90.5 KSJS is still off the air. That meant that the student broadcast of SJSU's latest basketball game tonight (a 69-57 loss vs. rival Fresno State) was mercifully not available on local airwaves.

Back
Top Bottom