• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCBS 740 AM 1987 Aircheck

KGO was the 800 lb gorilla in those days, so KCBS decided to compete. Their slogan was "News and More on 74." The "more" was talk shows, including Peterson late nights and ("Mayor") Art Finley from 8:00 to midnight. Both were good, IMO, but the format didn't last so I guess it didn't get ratings. Not sure what happened to Ruby- I knew her socially in those days but haven't seen her sine the late 80s. Earlier in her career, she had been "Miss Nancy" on Romper Room. I recall that she married Bob MacKenzie of KTVU fame.

I remember when KCBS was a News/Talk Station. What year did they switch from All News to News/Talk? I believe it was in 1988 when they switched back to All News? Also didn't Ted Robinson do an evening talk show on KCBS?

Did other CBS O&O's like KNX, WBBM and WCBS attempted to do the "News and More" format like KCBS did or was this limited to San Francisco in 1987.

KNX never did NewsTalk type shows, as far as I know, but they always ran a lot of specialty talk show like Chef Mike Roy - at least in the late 60s and 70s. After KNX branded as "Newsradio" (late 60s - about the same year as KCBS), they were not 24 hour news. Everybody in LA knew they should tune to KFWB for that. Even in the 80s, KNX ran the CBS Mystery Theatre in the evening, while KCBS punted it over to KSFO because it would have broken the all-news format.

WCBS 880 airs the Yankees during baseball season technically WCBS is the News and More station in NYC. WBBM does News and More and its the Chicago Bears during football season.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom