• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KBKF-LP 87.7

How about sell 87.7 fm San Jose to KUSC/ KDFCinc. if KUSC has the money to get station 3 to have the simulcast of KDFC 89.9 Angwin.

The point is, it's not salable because the license will go away next year.

It's not really 87.7, it's really 87.75, the analog FM aural carrier for TV 6. Analog TV translators & LPTVs will go away next year and this bogus TV station masquerading as an FM will go with it.

How does that work that the LPTV stations go away?
I had read an article saying this wouldn't happen until the licensees were forced to comply with the digital rule and that could be as long as 3 years.
Would you reference the FCC rules on this.
KLOVE is on a couple of regular radio stations too, isn't it?

KimmiKat said:
If you look at the PDFs from the FCC's "Correspondence Folder" for the station, you can read the xmtr is in someone's house in the Santa Cruz hills.

I'm pretty sure that's old correspondence. They've since moved to Loma 3. If you look at the actual license info here:

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=127882

you'll see that the lat/long places it at the exact same place as KKUP and KSQL. Interestingly enough, I see they have an application for 3 KW from Monument. So what are the EMF people up to NOW?

Dave B.

Looks like it is good until 2015
Low-power TV stations targeting radio listeners get a temporary reprieve as LPTV sunset date is set. Analog television stations at channel 6 have long had a bonus distribution platform: radio listeners could tune into the audio at 87.7 FM. But not until recently have TV operators aggressively gone after radio users by leveraging low-power TV stations. The FCC has now given its tacit approval to the practice. The Commission has not only rejected calls from some broadcasters to have the channel vacated, but it’s also said LPTV stations can have as much as ten-times more power. With the vast majority of its 900 members at the low-end of the FM dial, National Public Radio argued that giving LPTVs at channel 6 and 87.7 FM more power would likely cause additional interference to adjacent noncommercial FMs. But the FCC rejects that, noting LPTV remains a secondary service. “Therefore, regardless of their power level, low-power television stations are required to protect the first adjacent NCE radio stations if there is actual interference to these stations,” the Commission writes in the order. The FCC didn’t address proposals that the 87.7 FM dial position be allotted for radio use, perhaps as a dedicated LPFM channel. Broadcasters should also get used to the LPTV competition, at least for the next few years. The FCC had considered a digital conversion for the end of 2011, but ultimately stuck with the revised analog sunset date of September 2015 for a majority of the roughly 2,200 licensed LPTVs. “It will also be further removed from the prolonged economic downturn that began in late 2007, and will provide more time for operators to secure the necessary funding,” the FCC concludes. But the Commission doesn’t lay a course for how LPTVs targeting radio will be able to hold onto their analog spectrum. So unless it revises its current game plan, those stations will lose their radio audience in four years.

Now I have to hear K-Love at 87.75 with more power in Vallejo :-/

Well I don't hear it, but I have my wireless FM trasmitter on 87.7

Geek-O-Rama said:
Looks like it is good until 2015
...but it’s also said LPTV stations can have as much as ten-times more power. ...

The power increase applies only to digital LPTVs. (and only to VHF digital LPTVs) They will be allowed to run up to 3kw, same as an analog VHF LPTV.

KBKF's "LPTV-as-FM-radio-station" operation will not be affected by this increase.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom