• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KASA sold to Ramar; FOX affiliation moving?

Nexstar is selling Albuquerque's FOX affiliate KASA to Ramar Communications for $2.5 million, in another divestiture aimed at getting Nexstar under the cap as it merges with Media General.
APA: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101732463&qnum=5040&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

Take a look at this tidbit from the Multiple Ownership Showing:

The Station is currently a FOX affiliate. In connection with the transaction, Ramar will not acquire the FOX affiliation for the Station. Instead, Ramar will change the affiliation of KASA-TV to Spanish-language Telemundo on the Station’s primary signal, MeTV on its .2 signal, and Heroes & Icons on its .3 signal. This is the same programming that KRTN-TV, KTEL-TV, and KUPT currently air, although the various multicast streams on which each network airs differ for each station.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101732463&qnum=5170&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

FOX would most likely move to KRQE 13.2/KBIM 10.2/KREZ 6.2. At No. 48, Albuquerque would be the largest market by far (and first Top 50 market) to have FOX on a subchannel of a Big 3 station. Folks, this is Chattanooga all over again, only this time Sinclair isn't involved.

the reason they arent keeping FOX is because per the agreement they CANT

1. Buyer hereby agrees that, for a period of ten (10) years from the date hereof, it shall not, and it shall cause its affiliates not to, enter into, or otherwise solicit or seek to enter into, any affiliation agreement with ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX in the Station’s Market.

2. Buyer hereby agrees that, for a period of ten (10) years from the date hereof, it shall not, and it shall cause its affiliates not to, air any programming other than Spanish language programming on the Station’s primary signal.

page 44 of the purchase agreement

Guess there won't be any more Sunkist/KASA FOX 2/Cliff's Amusement Park sody-pop cans. I'm keeping mine from 2006 with the others in my meager collection of pop cans with broadcast side-panel promos.

Is there any way that Media General could move CW or MNTV to a subchannel and add Fox to KWBQ or KASY's .1? Thus eliminating the need for Fox on a subchannel...in a market this big.

Is there any way that Media General could move CW or MNTV to a subchannel and add Fox to KWBQ or KASY's .1? Thus eliminating the need for Fox on a subchannel...in a market this big.

You mean Nexstar. MG is going away ;)

They can't move it to a -1. That gives it 2 of the 4 biggest stations in the market. Thats why they are selling KASA in the first place. If they put it on one of their stations it CANT be a -1. If there was a LP station Nexstar owned then they could. But not a full power.

upon further looking Nexstar doesnt own the CW or My in the market. Tanner Media does. When MG owned KASA and KRQE they provided (per wiki) " technical, engineering and accounting services for KWBQ through a shared services agreement, though the station is otherwise operated separately from KASA-TV and KRQE as Tamer handles master control, programming and advertising services."

so the only Nexstar station it can go on would be the CBS.....Now if Nexstar and Tanner make a sweetheart deal, theoretically FOX could be on the -1 of KASY (My) or KWBQ (CW) as Nexstar doesnt own the station nor have a JSA/LMA.

The plan appears to be for Ramar to take KASA-TV to Telemundo. Media General/Nexstar most likely intends to take Fox to a .2.

"2 KASA Telemundo" ? (Your Home Telemundo ?)

Confirmed FOX moving to 13-2 per a member elsewhere

The organization I work for once advertised with 2KASA, so they got a flyer confirming that Fox is moving to 13.2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom