• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAAY-"the Mighty 10-90"

and in other's opinions, it's a waste of a great monster signal.

On the current version of Religious programming at K-Double A-Why...Yes! We sell air time, why? Oh! I see no problem with a paid ministry proclaiming that on the 8th day, God changed his nature and became a bhrama cow... Bow Down To The Cow! Brought to you by Chuck-Filled-Lays Potato Chips.... (Only Kidding)... I do remember some paid stuff on 1B / 1510-WLAC that taught us not to say the name of Jesus.. That it is incorrect and we can't say his name without being in 'sin'... I think the guys on that 15 minute show were tired of hangin' in bars after taping their show and hearing the name "Jesus" spoken each time the big chested barmaid walked by the guys playing on the pool tables... WE'VE GOT TROUBLE...RIGHT HERE IN RIVER CITY...That starts with "T" and rhymes with "P" and that means "POOOOOOOOOL"! I am a music man....

anotherguy said:
KAAY actually had a short run as a CCM format between dropping Top 40 and changing to Dollar a Holler. In the 70's and 80's I could get them in West TN at night. Now they come in OK in the daytime, but not at all at night. I guess it's because of the mostly North-South directional signal. Not that I particularly want to get them now anyway. Although I listen to Christian radio, KAAY is now in the same category with WWCR shortwave and its sister AM stations like WMQM in Memphis in allowing anyone on who flashes enough money in the station management's faces. They're an embarrassment to Christian radio. :-\

IMHO there are too many stations claiming to be "Christian Stations", that are cash cows or cash cow wannabes that are an embarassment to the many sincere operators in the genre. My prediction is that KAAY (and WWCR/WMQM) have Christian committments that will remain firm until when and if the prospect of a bigger revenue stream comes along.

One quote I remember from a discussion of WMQM on the Memphis board (from Radiosaur I believe) was that the god (little g) of the owners of WMQM/WWCR was green. It definitely applies to KAAY as well.

I could always get KAAY right before sunset in Little Rock where I lived in Ohio. As soon as the pattern changed it was gone. I guess they're making the bucks with the fire and brimstone.

Vibe--if it is still on the air, it might even be WSLG, which is in Gonzales, LA, between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

I can remember a preacher by the name of Buddy Tucker from Des Moines, IA on KAAY coming on twice a day on either side of Garner Ted Armstrong. Would this be the same person or member of his family (maybe) that at one time (and maybe even does today) runs WMOB-1360 in Mobile, AL??

I can remember a preacher by the name of Buddy Tucker from Des Moines, IA on KAAY coming on twice a day on either side of Garner Ted Armstrong. Would this be the same person or member of his family (maybe) that at one time (and maybe even does today) runs WMOB-1360 in Mobile, AL??

I worked there for a short time earlier this decade. From an engineering perspective it is by far the most fascinating thing I've ever seen. Nothing like being able to open the doors on the old, now decommissioned RCA 50KW transmitter (The building doesn't house the transmitter.. it was built around the transmitter) and walking inside that beast. The tubes for that old rig were massive. It was truly a marvel of Broadcast Engineering. Felix McDonald and co. did a fantastic job and to this day, if the old man is alive, he knows every inch of that facility. He is a true legend from behind the scenes. I'll never forget walking in that building after getting a call from the sherrif's department about a break-in and seeing Felix wandering around making sure nothing was missing, even though he technically doesn't work there anymore (Though he is still used as an extensive reference!) Those old towers and that ground system are things of beauty.

Felix McDonald deserves as much credit as anyone for KAAY's earlier years of success!

I begged them to be an "Oldies" station and play the Top 40 from her hayday... but nay, the cheesy preacher dollars spoke louder than anything I could pitch. It truly is a shame.

i may be incorrect, but i think felix died not too long ago.

i will try to look it up, but i think that he's no longer with us.

between his engineering and pat's promotions, KAAY was truly the "mighty" 10-90.

Noiseboxxx said:
i may be incorrect, but i think felix died not too long ago.

i will try to look it up, but i think that he's no longer with us.

between his engineering and pat's promotions, KAAY was truly the "mighty" 10-90.

i'm probably incorrect - as far as i could search, felix is still around, but not in the best of health.
maybe someone will chime in with better info than i have. :-\

As of a year ago when I left the area he was recovering from a pretty major stroke. I haven't heard anything about him passing, and I believe I would have heard from someone in the LR area if that had happened.

When he does go, it will be a very sad day. They should turn the transmitter off for a few minutes in his honor...

Re: KAAY-"the Mighty 10-90": NEW KAAY BLOGSPOT!

For those who are interested, after A. J. Lindsey passed away on May 17, 2009, several of us have gained permission to start a NEW KAAY blogspot:

http://mighty1090kaay.blogspot.com/

This is a continuance of A.J.'s old blogspot:

http://kaay1090.blogspot.com/

We've just gotten started and things are kicking off quite nicely! If you ever worked there, listened to the station, or what-have-you, we'd love to get your stories and anecdotes to keep KAAY's history alive! Please e-mail me at:

[email protected]

Thank you for helping keep these memories alive!

Bud

FreddyE1977 said:
cyberdad said:
KAAY had a MONSTER nighttime signal in Iowa where I went to college. Easily the strongest top 40 signal on the am dial. At home in Chicago, it still had a decent nighttime signal, but nothing extraordinary. Never any traces of WBAL, however.

KAAY and WBAL were very nicely and tightly engineered to steer clear of one another.
Living in Pittsburgh I could pick up WBAL after dark, but when I was living in
Columbus, Ohio it was all Little Rock at 1090 with no trace of BAL....just a couple
hours down the highway.
I could get it in Pittsburgh sometimes

I get 1090 L.R. occasionally from Englewood FL at nite. Not interested in the current programming however...
Never got WBAL there ever..

vibe said:
I get 1090 L.R. occasionally from Englewood FL at nite. Not interested in the current programming however...
Never got WBAL there ever..

KAAY's signal into the midwest is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I remember DX'ing KAAY in the 60's in VA just before pattern change. Used to hear a jock named Buddy Carr on there. I later worked for him under his real name, Tom Bigby.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom