• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Judge Judy rules in favor of Mike Bloomberg, will join him on campaign trail

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaig...ike-bloomberg-will-join-him-on-campaign-trail

Usually when we think of celebrity endorsements on the campaign trail we think of Cable Pundits siding with a candidate. In this case its Judge Judy who is siding with Mike Bloomberg on the trail.

Mike Bloomberg just released a new campaign ad featuring the most trusted jurist in America. It’s not the Chief Justice, but — for a billionaire candidate who needs to connect with working class voters — someone much better: Judith Sheindlin, known in most homes as TV’s “Judge Judy.”

Celebrity endorsements are a well-worn part of politics, of course, but they typically deliver less than candidates hope for: A quick rush of headlines, maybe, but most voters don’t ultimately make choices based on their favorite television characters.

Sheindlin could be different.

That has a lot to do with her brand of television and how her massive audience — nearly ten million people a day — views her.

The 30-second commercial, titled “Judge Him,” shows Sheindlin sitting in what looks like judicial chambers, advocating for Bloomberg’s “steady leadership” in “very challenging times.” The setting and the atmosphere capitalize on what the former New York family court judge has spent nearly 25 television seasons building: credibility.

Audience studies conducted during my years as a CBS executive working with the “Judge Judy” show consistently ranked her as tough, fair, honest and direct — attributes any politician would die for. Her standing in our wider popular culture runs high: According to a 2013 poll, more Americans trust Judge Judy than any of the Supreme Court justices. A 2016 survey revealed 10 percent of college graduates believe she actually already serves on the highest court in the land.

Of course Oprah famously endorsed Obama. Too bad Judge Wopner has passed away. He did a few endorsements, although they were for products not candidates.

How do you as a politician run against a celebrity? This was the issue facing those who ran against Reagan. Frank Sinatra once endorsed JFK, and later endorsed Reagan.

Personally I think it's a mistake for anybody in her position to endorse any candidate.
You risk alienating half of your audience no matter what you do.

I'm very surprised that Judge Judy have not join the bandwagon years ago in running for the big seat..Same with the other TV judges..
I know she wont take any of their crap down there in DC like she does not allow on her show....

If people are impressed with Judge Judy types for their political guidance this nation has reached total failure.

Canada is looking mighty good.

If people are impressed with Judge Judy types for their political guidance this nation has reached total failure.

I have to agree with you.

I've lived in a number of different countries. I have been through changes of government due to revolutions and military seizures of power. But I have never seen anyplace where political views were influenced by people with no business or administrative experience and whose only qualifications are pretending to be people that they are not.

Of course, there are a few exceptions of true leaders who began as actors and entertainers, but they are exactly that.

Judge Judy is neither the first, the worst or the last. She is just a symptom of a major problem in our democracy.

I'm very surprised that Judge Judy have not join the bandwagon years ago in running for the big seat..Same with the other TV judges..
I know she wont take any of their crap down there in DC like she does not allow on her show....

Politics is real life, not play acting. Do you really think Judge Judy is not playing a part, acting, trying to get more audience?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom