• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Johnstown Radio,way back when

Oh wait a minute......

You say Dave Smith was in "Slapshot"? There's the answer. He's living off his royalties in the Riviera. They paid the extra's an incredible amount of money!

Just a few ?'s...

What frequency was WIYQ?

When did WARD Johnstown change calls? I ask because I remember WARD 1550 in Scranton as early as 1980.

Any WCRO airchecks floating around on the net?

WARD became WJNL at 1490 when it was bought by Jonel Construction Company from the Ben Werk Group. That would have happened around 1971 or 1972.

"Saluting a Johnstown tradition.......AM 1230 WCRO" at the 8th Annual Miners Memorial Day Weekend Fathers Day Car show and Cruise-in. Sunday June 20th, 2010, Noon to 4 in Downtown Windber, Pa. Take a ride down Johnstown cruisin' and music memory lane as the Bossjocks...."The Action Men" of yesteday take to the microphone! (Yes, the gentlemen at George's Song Shop was a terrific reference. Also was able to track down via the web a "Music Boss Survey "from 9/6/70 and an "All Hit Music Survey" from 1/7/72) Anyone care to guess what songs were #1 in Johnstown those two weeks??!! More details regarding this event to be made public in the coming weeks). For what it's worth WJAC-TV6 will apparently not permit J.J. Jefferson (aka Marty Radovanic) to participate.

My name is Jim DeAngelo & I worked at WCRO (1230 Super CRO) from 1975-77 doing nights.
Our main line up at the time was Mike Farrow, mornings, Sandy Dee, doing an hour oldies show, Ken Williams 11-3, Jack Michaels til 6, Scott McCloud's talk show 6-7 and then I did 7-1 a.m. (sign off). Chuck Bender was part time. I ran the board for Herb Ruth's Sunday oldies show.
I am still in touch with Mike and Jack and have great memories of my two years in the Friendly City.
Some of the lessons learned in my Johnstown radio days serve me well working in entertainment here in Los Angeles.
I must admit the L. A. winters are much more enjoyable.
My best to everyone in Johnstown. Great people and I truly enjoyed calling it home.

Hi all!

My name is Katie and I am working on a documentary about an ape named Oliver who came out in the 70s. He made his first public appearance in Altoona, PA, and Denny Bixler from WVAM did several segments on him. Does anyone remember this? Denny Bixler seems like a fascinating person and we want to see if anyone who knew him has any accounts of why Denny got involved with Oliver, and any stories he may have told about Oliver. Some of the people we are looking for or want to know more about are:
  • his children Jason and Courtney Bixler
  • His aids, Sandi and Karen
  • Tom Healy
  • Dave Sacks Greenberg
  • Will Ketner (who sold WVAM to Denny)
  • Randy Birdsall (who bought WVAM with Denny)
Does anyone have any leads for us? We'd love to make radio media a part of our documentary but can't do it without your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom