• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

John Trevino Named VP-GM Of KDAF Dallas

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/239347/john-trevino-named-vp-gm-of-kdaf-dallas/

These are part of management changes coming to Nexstar.

Nexstar Media Group today announced today appointed John Trevino vice president and general manager of its CW affiliate KDAF Dallas (DMA 5).

One of Nexstar’s newest CW affiliates, KDAF joined Nexstar following the company’s recent acquisition of Tribune Media. Trevino will be responsible for the strategic direction and day-to-day management of KDAF and its related digital and mobile operations serving the greater Dallas/Ft. Worth area and north Texas.

God I hope not. It was attempted during its Tribune days and kept failing to compete with the powerhouses that are 4, 5, 8, and 11. Then it kept hitting rock bottom when it went anchorless with Newsfix (or what I like to call Newsbroke). Glad they ditched it before the Nexstar merger.

The only way I can see CW33 have a news is if it's backed by NBC 5 or WFAA by a partnership of some sort but I doubt that (4 and 11 are out of the question since they have sister stations).

CW33 had news because there were some advertisers who would only advertise in news. That was even true for Newsfix. But that was just a terrible format. The ratings were too low to justify the expenditure of resources.

I'm not sure what Nexstar's view on news is. If they want to do news on CW33, they will need to put a lot more money behind it than the previous attempts. And frankly, they'll need to compete in all news slots, not just at 9pm. That means running a 4 hour morning show, maybe a noon show, likely an early evening 5 or 6pm (or both) and a 9pm newscast. Get enough crews on the streets to actually cover the market and develop a bond with the viewers. They never did that when they debuted the newscast in 1998.
They tried to expand, but didn't know how to do it right. Then they tried Newsfix because someone keeps thinking they can magically make news viewers out of people who don't like news. It does not work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom