• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

John Foxx to take over mornings and Brand Manager role at WCBS-FM

AllAccess reports that John Foxx has been named by Audacy as the successor to Scott Shannon as morning show host, and he takes over from Jim Ryan as Brand Manager (PD).

A bit of a surprise that no one here predicted.

My guess: they are trying to disrupt as little of the schedule as possible. Race gets good ratings in middays, they probably don't want to muck that up.

Getting up at 3 a.m. to do mornings isn't for everyone, especially if you have a family life. And then if the ratings are soft your job is on the line. Despite the higher pay it's a pretty high-pressure role with a poor work/life balance if mornings aren't your thing. Maybe WCBS offered the show to Race and he declined. We don't know.

Getting up at 3 a.m. to do mornings isn't for everyone, especially if you have a family life. And then if the ratings are soft your job is on the line.

I think we will see more of this for this exact reason. You couldn't pay me enough to work that shift.

When Rick Dees worked mornings at Movin' in LA, he skipped the first hour. He showed up around 7. No prep time.

Getting up at 3 a.m. to do mornings isn't for everyone, especially if you have a family life. And then if the ratings are soft your job is on the line. Despite the higher pay it's a pretty high-pressure role with a poor work/life balance if mornings aren't your thing. Maybe WCBS offered the show to Race and he declined. We don't know.
This is all very true. If that's the case, I could not blame him.

My take is that nobody wants to succeed a legend. Nobody wants to play David Lee Roth taking over for Howard Stern. Nobody wants that job.

So John Foxx will do this for a few years. When a big name becomes available, they'll sign him. But I don't expect John to be the long term plan here. They just want to cleanse the palate so to speak.

That's just my take. Not based on anything.

My take is that nobody wants to succeed a legend. Nobody wants to play David Lee Roth taking over for Howard Stern. Nobody wants that job.

So John Foxx will do this for a few years. When a big name becomes available, they'll sign him. But I don't expect John to be the long term plan here. They just want to cleanse the palate so to speak.

That's just my take. Not based on anything.
That's a reasonable takeaway. Jim Ryan is also getting to the point where he is likely considering retiring, so this was an opportunity for him to start stepping back as well. He has done a great job of evolving CBS-FM's sound over the last decade, and helping WNEW find new success (no pun intended) as a Hot AC. His work does not go unnoticed.

Coincidentally, if my memory serves me right, when John Foxx was appointed as WPLJ PD ten years ago, he replaced Scott Shannon in that role. Ten years later, he is replacing Scott again, in a different role.

The announcement states that John Foxx will become the morning man in February. Who will take that shift in the interim?

The announcement states that John Foxx will become the morning man in February. Who will take that shift in the interim?
Unclear but it will either be Race or one of the part-time airstaff, Randy Davis, Matt Sneed, etc. if I recall that’s what happened in the lead up to Scott’s premiere in 2014.

Unclear but it will either be Race or one of the part-time airstaff, Randy Davis, Matt Sneed, etc. if I recall that’s what happened in the lead up to Scott’s premiere in 2014.

Hopefully it's Randy Davis. He does a great morning show and could have been a good full-time choice.

It was Dan Taylor who usually did mornings on CBS-FM back in 2007 right up until 2014. He usually took over Harry Harrison back in 2003 and then Mickey Dolenz in early 2005 just a few months before the station flipped to “Jack” after his 100th and last show.

It was Dan Taylor who usually did mornings on CBS-FM back in 2007 right up until 2014. He usually took over Harry Harrison back in 2003 and then Mickey Dolenz in early 2005 just a few months before the station flipped to “Jack” after his 100th and last show.
I am aware. After the announcement that Scott was taking over, Dan went on hiatus until Scott took over.

Jesse was an enjoyable listen on WNSH 94.7-quite witty. He deserves his own show on WNEW, or some other station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom