• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

John DeBella to retire June 30th

I remember when John DeBella 'retired' from WYPS afternoons. He joked that he someone should bring him when it got cold. I think this time it will stick. Hopefully he will stick around to pop in for his charitable events. Very nice career, even with Howard Stern tearing him to pieces in the early 90s.

Not that any two situations are exactly the same, but for morning personalities with longevity in the market, DeBella is in there with the likes of Garland, Caraldi and Cannon. That’s some pretty good company.

Mostly likely it would be moving Matt Cord to morning drive, he has spent time on AM drive (Ben FM), Middays (WMGK), Afternoons (Y-100) and evenings (WMMR). Another option would be another Beasley DJ from another market.

I don't think a syndicated morning show would work on WMGK.

Let the rumors begin.

Cord to morning makes sense if he wants that schedule again with his 76ers duty. They could swap a part timer in to his show—like Angel Donato. But pure speculation of course. Could go a number of ways.

Wonder if they asked him to do a 6 month extension to June so he’d still be on the air when Catladi retired so maybe they could attract some WIP listeners that didn’t like the new morning show on WIP

Hmm didn't DeBella work at WLIR for a time?
I wanna say I have an unscoped aircheck somewhere on cassette of his first day on WLIR, July 1982?

According to John himself on-air Friday. Somebody will be paired with Steve. SO it'll be local. No idea whom or when, other than Steve is doing the show by himself for a bit starting July 10th after he gets back from vacation.
Full unscoped aircheck below. Sorry about the right channel, I thought I had fixed the wire, not sure if the cable needs to be replaced or if the jack on the mixer is dirty on the inside.
If anyone has a better copy, please let me know!
Thanks!
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/36rmhy

Yes, I heard that as well. TBH, I have not listed to DeBella in a while (mostly during commercial breaks from P&S). Not familiar with Steve, but I am sure it is the right choice from a financial standpoint and keeping the built in audience. The era of the local morning show with big names and big ad budgets are dwindling. MGK should be more about the music and the community.

DeBella's final show was very nice. Very well timed and didn't drag on making it a mess (i.e. Cheers cast on the Tonight show-dating myself). Good luck in retirement, hope he pops up occasionally for his excellent charity work.

It’s funny how he spent so much more time at WMGK than WMMR, and good for him for that run.

There are probably limited in-market names that would offer that same kind of fit that JDB had there. So maybe find someone who gels well with the producer regardless of where they come from. They can’t replicate what they had for all those years, but also don’t need to.

Barsky. 😉

(Ducking)
Pretty sure he burned bridges with Beasley with the lawsuit after his 96.5 the Point show ended. (I know your comment was a joke). And funny how Steve Morrison makes snide Barsky comments and even Rocco the Janitor comments every once in awhile. He even made one when John was in the P&S studio on their show.

Back
Top Bottom