• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jimmy Buffett, "Margaritaville" singer, passes away at age 76

One of the best singalongs ever, "Margaritaville" helped make Jimmy Buffet famous. He once remarked that it took him five minutes to write it. I really enjoyed his country/western sound, combined with lyrics about beach life and island life. His fans called themselves "parrotheads". He will be missed.

Last edited:
I can't claim to be a Parrothead, but I did see Jimmy live five different times. He put on a great show. One that sticks out in my mind was at the Palace of Auburn Hills. The Neville Brothers opened for him, and Ed Bradley from 60 Minutes was in town and acted as emcee. When it came time for the encore, the Neville Brothers joined him on stage, and Ed was there, too...singing and playing tambourine.

RIP Jimmy. Hope you make that Labor Day weekend show in the sky.

Buffett had many great tunes. COME MONDAY,
BANANA REPUBLICS, A PIRATE LOOKS AT FORTY are a few that stand out. "Margaritaville" is burned out so badly, that's one I never need to hear again. His concerts were always enjoyable. His Beach Bum image was not exactly accurate as he was actually an entrepreneur. He built himself quite a Brand. RIP...

Buffett! Two T's! Buffett! Can someone please change the subject line, especially since Jimmy's name probably has been misspelled more than it's been spelled correctly during his long career? RIP, Jimmy. May you enjoy countless cheeseburgers in paradise.

Buffett! Two T's! Buffett! Can someone please change the subject line, especially since Jimmy's name probably has been misspelled more than it's been spelled correctly during his long career? RIP, Jimmy. May you enjoy countless cheeseburgers in paradise.
Yes, it's not a diner like Jimmy's Buffet.
Jim stepped on his last Pop Top and Blew out his
Last Flip Flop.😑

"He Went To Paris" is another great Buffett track.
"Fins" and "Volcano" were good comedy songs. His discography is actually really diverse...

Yes, it's not a diner like Jimmy's Buffet.
Jim stepped on his last Pop Top and Blew out his
Last Flip Flop.😑

"He Went To Paris" is another great Buffett track.
"Fins" and "Volcano" were good comedy songs. His discography is actually really diverse...
"God's Own Drunk."
"Why Don't We Get Drunk."
"Boat Drinks."
"If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me."

And for my money, his 1995 album "Barometer Soup" is one of his best.

I have heard his musical style described as Gulf and Western, and that makes a lot of sense. Had a unique niche, was a savvy businessman, and a strident environmentalist. He made his mark, and he will be missed.

This is a huge loss to the world. Just like with Bob Barker last week. My heart just sank because I love his music, especially some of his album cuts. Parrotheads forever.

RIP :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP, Jimmy. Last year when we went to NYC for a few days, we stayed at the Margaritaville hotel which is right on Times Square (in fact, we could see the back of the ball they drop each New Years Eve just outside our window). Great places to stay if you liked Jimmy's music and the lifestyle they conveyed...and there's no shortage of Buffett's music; in the bars and restaurants, in the elevators, etc.

I’m sorry! I’m usually a stickler for spelling. I was trying very hard to get the title into bold face type, and the bold face command would not work. I tried for about 20 minutes. I must have overlooked the missing “t” in the last name.

David or other moderators, could you please correct Jimmy’s last name? It has two T’s. Thank you.

Last edited:
I’m sorry! I’m usually a stickler for spelling. I was trying very hard to get the title into bold face type, and the bold face command would not work. I tried for about 20 minutes. I must have overlooked the missing “t” in the last name.

David or other moderators, could you please correct Jiimmy’s last name? It has two T’s. Thank you.
Why don't we forget about the minor spelling faux pas, don't worry about the small stuff and just do what Jimmy would do in this case - smile, have fun, appreciate each other, put on some fun music and break out the tequilla :)

Jimmy Buffett’s Cause of Death: Skin Cancer (Report)​

Jimmy Buffett’s cause of death has been attributed to cancer, sources tell TMZ. He was 76 years old when he passed away on Sept. 1.
The singer best known for “Margaritaville” was reportedly first diagnosed with skin cancer four years ago, which ultimately turned into lymphoma.

RIP, Jimmy.....
May there always be "booze in the blender....."!!;)
Back in 1979, during Mardi Gras, I met Scott Seagraves, executive producer of Jimmy's "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" album.....he was a friend of the girl I was dating at the time.
Never got to meet Jimmy, though.....:(

WLML (real standards) played "Death of an Unpopular Poet", a song that Bob Dylan said showed Buffett was one of the greats. Not a song that gets played. The DJ also told a story about him being nice to Paul McCartney, and said years from now people will remember where they were when they heard the news.

Manana, Lage Nom Ai and One Particular Harbor were always my three favorite Buffett songs. The first two didn't get that much radio airplay, but I did hear Manana on The River 105.9 out of Hartford back in the early 2000s when they used to always play the "Parrothead Paradise Song Of The Day" by Jimmy Buffett at the end of the commercial free 5:00 All-Music Hour.

Eventually they came up with a contest where the first three callers when the song played would get tickets to their "Parrothead Cruise" along the Connecticut River. I eventually called at the right time and won the tickets, although the cruise out of downtown Hartford wasn't quite as special as they billed it to be. In fact I almost missed the boat!

I always believed there was a deeper meaning to Buffett's music than just the partying/drinking lifestyle that it conveyed on the surface. Even a song like Cheeseburger in Paradise, which may seem like just a fun song, was really a deeper commentary on the kind of lifestyle that sailors truly lived. His music was all about wishing you could be in a certain sort of paradise even if you were not physically there, and that is what made it so powerful and influential.

It is unfortunate that he never got to do an official farewell tour before he passed away, which is something I was really hoping would happen. We all knew his health issues were serious, but most of us didn't realize they were already serious enough to be life threatening this year in the months before he eventually died. I knew that it was going to happen eventually, as we all did, but thought he was still going to live for another year or two and perform a few more shows before it did. The timing came as a shock to everyone. But his music will of course live on forever.

Back
Top Bottom