• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jim Healy recordings?

Colleague and I were discussing baseball and the late great Jim Healy's name came up. So we were wondering if there's an archive of any or many of his great shows available somewhere. Anyone know? Thanks

Colleague and I were discussing baseball and the late great Jim Healy's name came up. So we were wondering if there's an archive of any or many of his great shows available somewhere. Anyone know? Thanks

I commented on this a few months ago (See http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?691473-What-Radio-Station-will-carry-the-Rams/page4 and scroll down to the bottom).

For those who didn't click over, the short story is that for many years a guy named John Speedie had the definitive, and essentially only, Jim Healy site (at http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/healy.swf ) with nearly all of the great sound bites, the final show, and a few full 1/2 hour shows, unscoped if I remember correctly. But sometime within the last year or two, the site has gone dark with only a placeholder. I hope Mr. Speedie, wherever he is, can find the will, resources, or whatever else it takes to get the site back up and running. Jim Healy was a radio genius and for years his show was must-listen programming for myself and many others - and he had the ratings to prove it. He and his great show deserve to be remembered. ("Who goofed - I've got to know!!)

Last edited:
I was able to download most of the sound clips from the archived version. (Otherwise archive.org doesn't work well with the site, since it was mostly written in Flash, not HTML) So far it's a 14 meg zip. Let me find a place to put it and I'll give you the link.

I may even try to reconstitute the old site somewhere, though that might take longer.

Thanks - good to know. I'll check them out. I've never been a huge sports fan - other than actually watching some games, the intricacies of athletes' statistics and their contracts bores me. But I always liked Healy's eccentric style of reporting and his fun formatting, borrowed from Walter Winchell

Thanks to radiocph as well. I didn't know a Healy YouTube channel existed (although in this day and age, I should have guessed it so). I listened to one from 1991 this morning and was surprised at how clear it sounded. Usually Jim Healy recordings are bad tape jobs made from over-the-air AM broadcast with all of the static, hiss and noise that goes with it.

Thanks - good to know. I'll check them out. I've never been a huge sports fan - other than actually watching some games, the intracacies of athletes' statistics and their contracts bores me. But I always liked Healy's eccentric style of reporting and his fun formatting, borrowed from Walter Winchell

I was never a big sports fan either, but I always liked Jim Healy's show.

Pity he passed away practically right before the O. J. Simpson story....he would have had a field day with that one!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom