• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jim Gardner leaving 11p newscast tonight; Rick Williams to replace him

Another interview as the farewell tour in underway. This one seems to confirm Gardner’s last day at the station is 12/31; perhaps his actual last airdate is going to be Friday 12/30?

Great in-depth interview to read overall with a lot of insight. I didn’t know Jim’s son worked for NBC Sports:

Last edited:
Will they even have a 6 pm show that night? Sports bumps so many weekend newscasts there it seems more frequent that they don’t than they do.

That said, I think you’d want the weekday farewell. Be it the 30th or earlier, more staff would presumably be on hand and sticking around for the farewell than a holiday weekend. And they’re likely to fill that studio to the brim for the big goodbye.

At the very least I am guessing they will do a one hour special similar to Action News’ 50th anniversary back in 2020 during the 7PM hour one evening for his final newscast probably around Christmas.

Unless he goes the low key Tom Brokaw-esque route with his final newscast airing on a Tuesday/Wednesday.

Jillian and Walter have been co-anchoring weekend evenings lately including the past couple of weekends. I’m wondering if it’s an experiment that would eventually spill into weeknights?

Yeah, that’s been interesting. What if…just throwing totally random things out for shiggles, Walter Perez somehow slides into the weekday lineup and she takes over weekends?

Ok, I don’t believe that, but what the heck.

It seems weird to still be running the Rick Williams promo if the plan is to give him a co-anchor. Nothing is impossible, but in budget conscious times, that seems a waste. They don’t even seem terribly interested in a permanent Saturday morning anchor, and stripped Sunday back to one person.

If it were me, I’d put the resources into reporting and keep it solo for those slots.

Did not see that coming: Brian Taff takes over 6 pm. Leaves noon (presumably someone else moves in there? Walter Perez, maybe, with reporting for the evening shows?)

Huh.

Did not see that coming: Brian Taff takes over 6 pm. Leaves noon (presumably someone else moves in there? Walter Perez, maybe, with reporting for the evening shows?)
I’m not surprised. I felt when they had him anchoring 10 Pm newscast they were grooming him for something larger.

I once thought that. But then he was pushed back to noon while Rick moved up. Oh well, good for everyone. Also makes clear Gardner is done on 12/21.

Interesting choice indeed. Brian’s a good guy and he’ll do good. I do wonder now if they ever had Sarah in mind as well at some point as she has more seniority but who knows.

It took them forever to give her the 4 pm show. Sure, she was the “third wheel” anchor for a bit, but it wasn’t until Jeanette Reyes left that they made her full anchor for that one. The Sunday night gig was good visibility, but for now it seems like this is where she is.

It took them forever to give her the 4 pm show. Sure, she was the “third wheel” anchor for a bit, but it wasn’t until Jeanette Reyes left that they made her full anchor for that one. The Sunday night gig was good visibility, but for now it seems like this is where she is.
With all those silly “the VOICE you know for news” ads I guess it was bound to happen as Taff does have an authoritative voice for the role of alpha male anchorman.

I meant to comment on those weekend morning anchors. Yikes they’re green. The one new guy for Sunday’s noon newshour is rather generic IMO hopefully they’ll grow.

With all those silly “the VOICE you know for news” ads I guess it was bound to happen as Taff does have an authoritative voice for the role of alpha male anchorman.

I meant to comment on those weekend morning anchors. Yikes they’re green. The one new guy for Sunday’s noon newshour is rather generic IMO hopefully they’ll grow.
I remember the spots, but then they stopped “hyping” him when he was bumped out of 10 pm. Meh, whatever. 😉

I’ve found most of the weekend rotation to be good. Kent, Gomez, Thomas and Lee all seem to have it down. Probably some I’m not remembering and haven’t seen Sunday at noon in some time due to work. Not sure who they popped in there.

Not at all saying they’d go this way, but Bob Brooks has subbed at noon a few times. Could be a fit.

Or maybe they dial it back to just Sarah and the meteorologist du jour, given it’s a semi-rotating slate.

Taff’s come along way from his days in Upstate NY on a regional cable news net. I remember there was slightly mixed reaction on this board when he first came back in late 2009.

WPVI’s historic stability was shaken a few years back with Monica’s abrupt dismissal/contract non-renewal. Since then it’s been interesting to watch as budget cuts also kicked in and surprises thrown in as well with a rotating door, the most notable departure before Jim was that of 13-year sports vet Jeff Skversky as he left for Detroit earlier this year.

The 12PM news anchor on Sundays is John Paul, who initially came on board in this past summer.

Ahha. Was he on with Nydia? Maybe getting acclimated as they seem to like to do with new anchors. Alicia seems to often get that assignment, working with a new person on a weekend show to get the hang of things. Reminds me of when they sort of buried Brittany Boyer’s first on air appearance at 6 am, with David Murphy there and doing the rest of the shows when people were actually awake.

Skversky is a weird case in itself. Not that there was a budget cut, such is life for everyone now. Weird that he is mentioned as being in Detroit, has a couple of videos available, but mentions nothing on his super active Twitter feed, where he continues talking only Philly sports. But then again, CBS Detroit is barely getting a news operation started.

A few predictable retirements of really long timers, and a reset to one morning meteorologist after one of those retirements isn’t really shocking, and they’re still keeping it as officially a four person morning team. Losing Ali Gorman was a blow, but I get specialty beats aren’t easy to justify when the belt needs to be tightened.

Wednesday will mark the end of an era for sure.

They'll also be running an hour long special this Thursday at 8PM to say good bye to him.

For as long as I can remember, Jim Gardner has been the voice of local news. I left and came back, and there he was, as if I’d never spent time elsewhere.

I tend to be an early to bed person, so the 11 pm change didn’t do much for me. But when the 6 pm show rolls around and he’s not there…not on vacation, not sick, just gone…that’s going to be a shock to the system. Much as I felt the introduction of Alex Trebek as a welcoming presence for nearly 40 years, the change was jarring initially.

It has been a remarkable career by any measure.

And that’s a wrap!

The montage was wonderful.

Jim was remarkably somber in his final newscast but gave a pretty robust and powerful farewell speech.

And that’s a wrap!

The montage was wonderful.

Jim was remarkably somber in his final newscast but gave a pretty robust and powerful farewell speech.

And not a surprise here that WPVI would upload his final-ever newscast for those who missed it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom