• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jeopardy times in your city?

Here in Los Angeles, Jeopardy! has aired on three different stations over the course of its now-23 syndicated seasons...

It lasted for about a year on KCBS, airing weekdays at 3:30pm. In 1985, it moved to KCOP (where it joined Wheel of Fortune), and aired weeknights at 7pm (the same slot it has been since then), but around 1989 (just about the same period the network version of Wheel moved from NBC to CBS), KCBS got Jeopardy! back (and got nighttime Wheel for first time) and kept them until Fall 1991, when KABC acquired both shows.

Down the road in San Diego, KCST/KNSD (I believe) has had both shows since they entered syndication...I know for sure they've carried J! and WOF for a very long time. When KNSD picked up Access Hollywood (right around the time they officially became a NBC-owned station), they moved J! ahead a hour (from 7:30pm to 6:30) to accommodate AH.

PTBoardOp94 said:
WFIE TV 14 Evansville
No Wheel (TTBOMK), Jeopardy at 3:30.

What the H*ll is TTBOMK? Anyway, Wheel airs on WFIE at 6:30pm (EVV is in the Central Time Zone) and has since about 1984 (moved there the last season of Dawson-era Family Feud, which was on WTVW-7-Then ABC) prior to that, I believe it aired sometime in the late afternoon (3:30pm comes to mind for some reason) while re-runs of M*A*S*H filled the 6:30 slot.

Jeopardy! now airs on WFIE at 2:30pm CT, back an hour due to the station picking up Dr. Phil. When the station first picked up Jeopardy! it aired at 5:00pm before the station premiered a newscast in the slot ("Newswatch at 5:00" premiered the same day Oprah premiered on the station, IIRC).

Here in Mississippi, WTVA-9-Tupelo (NBC) carries Jeopardy! at 11:00am, though I assume it aired at 3:30 prior to the Dr. Phil premiere. It airs at 4:00pm on WAPT-16-Jackson (ABC). Here in Starkville, I can watch the same episode twice as the local cable company carries both stations.

In Boston it runs @ 730pm after Wheel of Fortune on WSBK TV 38 (Indy) it also airs @ 9 pm before the 930 newscast. WSBK was formerly UPN 38 and used to run it @ 630 but this was pushed back because it didn't get as good ratings as people were still commuting home and could not watch. I believe the 730 would be the new and maybe the 9 is a replay of it.. Not sure.. I'll check it out

Based on all the posts so far (and thanks very much for the huge response), it would appear that the 3 and 7pm hours are by far the most popular slot for the current Syndicated Jeopardy!

Some interesting things that I've read about the current version:
The set concept that the current Alex Trebek version which began airing in 1984 uses, was not the original conecpt, it's actually based on the second pilot. Merv Griffin's first attempt to resurect the show (after the disasterous 1978-79 NBC version) was actually similar to that version. However, instead of the hight tech set it has now, orignally, the first pilot in 1983 used a set that had the original game board style and logo, but was themed like a Personal Compute. Although this was ahead of it's time, Merv Griffen must have decided that it was too much of a theme, and that money would be better spent on true technological advances to the show (don't know, just a guess). The second pilot (which resembles what we see now) was all techno, but did away with the PC's. The set did have more yellow and red in it (which woudln't be incorporated until a few seasons later). Also the first pilot relied on older theme music, not on the remixed version of "Think" from the final Jeopardy segment. Either way, the current version is by far the most popular version of this show, often ranking as the #2 syndicated program.

Seeing as how the internet has become commonplace, perhaps they should dust the old PC idea off?
Also, perhaps CBS or some other network should consider picking up this version.
Thoughts on this?

Garrett said:
Based on all the posts so far (and thanks very much for the huge response), it would appear that the 3 and 7pm hours are by far the most popular slot for the current Syndicated Jeopardy!

I would think that those hours would be the most popular for any syndicated fare, especially in the East, where the 7-8 PM timeslot is animportant local TV slot, coming off the evening network news and leading up to the prime time family hour at 8.

FWIW, KNXV used to run Jeopardy! at 4 PM before putting a local newscast there last Sept. 11th, and they're the 3rd station in Phoenix to have the syndicated show. The first was KTSP channel 10, then a CBS affiliate, now Fox O&O KSAZ, who had it from the current syndicated show's inception in 1983/84 until they took the Fox affiliation in 1994. KTVK, who was losing the ABC affiliation at the time and going independent, acquired both Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune to lead off their evening programming - they had Wheel at 7 and Jeopardy! at 7:30. KNXV added Jeopardy! to their lineup in 2004.

Find out Jeopardy! times in all US markets: http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/jeopardy/showguide_whentowatch.php

M.J. said:
WDIV (NBC) in Detroit has aired it at 12:30 PM weekdays for as long as I can remember - so at least 15 years. However, they air year-old repeats. So in other words, in June 2005 I was watching one of the first Ken Jennings episodes. :p

I don't have my retro Detroit listings from the 70s right here, so I don't know how long they have done this.

WDIV also runs Jeopardy! at 7:30 pm. Maybe they run the new episodes in the evenings and the repeats at lunchtime?

When I moved to the Toledo market after having lived most of my life in Chicagoland, it felt almost sacriligious to see Jeopardy! that late at night.

anoldguy said:
I can give you a partial list of New York State.
All these stations run Wheel of Fortune at 7 PM and Jeopardy at 7:30.
WABC -7 N. Y. C. ABC
WKTV-2 Utica NBC
WWNY-7 Watertown CBS
WSYR-9 Syracuse ABC
WROC-8 Rochester CBS
Not sure about Buffalo, Albany, or Plattsburg
Actually, in NYC Jeopardy is on at 7pm and Wheel is on at 7:30 on WABC.

Actually, in NYC Jeopardy is on at 7pm and Wheel is on at 7:30 on WABC.

I stand corrected. Haven't been to "Big Apple" in a while.
Happy New Year!

The cable system in Richmond, Kentucky, circa 1988, had three choices for Jeopardy. It aired in the afternoon on WLKY Louisville and early evening on WCPO Cincinnati and WKYT Lexington.

Once in a while I would watch the early run of "Wheel" and later screw with my roommates responding to a few of the hard answers....I mean questions. :)

In Seattle it's been on KOMO (ABC) for as long as I can remember at either 7 or 7:30. I doubt our local NBC KING has ever had it in syndication because they've run a locally-produced show at 7 since at LEAST the 70's.

As for Seattle, KIRO had the late-70s version in syndication. I remember watching it as a teenager. I always wanted to be on Jeopardy -- I was pretty good at home. Alas, my memory is now not what it used to be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom