• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jazz Listener Demographics

Radiofan101

Inactive
Inactive User
Does anyone have any information on the listener demographics for Smooth Jazz? Would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The smooth jazz listener demographic is still known as one of the most "desirable" and sought-after by many major advertisers because they still (other than classical music listeners) represent a group of listeners with one of the highest amount of discretionary incomes (and I mean not only CAN they spend, but they DO). Affluent adults ages 30-54 years old (44 is the median age) earning $150,000-$400,000 per year, college-educated, professionals, enjoy imported beer and fine wine, travel extensively, dine out in fine restaurants above the average weekly norm, drive a luxury import (like a BMW, Mercedes-Benz), actually still READ BOOKS, and more importantly -- are usually one of the most MEDIA POOR on many subgroups. Meaning, they are not as driven on Facebook and Twitter, and they usually aren't a huge crowd for downloading music (these are still listeners that buy CD's if you can believe it). They are very selective in what outside media they want and choose to participate in. And interesting enough -- if there is a local radio station they embrace that does the format RIGHT, chances are their media usage is either dedicated mainly that radio station in that market OR their own cds (they are not button pushers and scanners on FM). You either lose them to their own CD collection and not to one of 8-10 country or rock stations being duplicated in the same market. Keep in mind this is niche audience and is much smaller of a "universe" than many major "Big Box Broadcasters" care to target these days, but which would a local advertiser have? 1000 listeners in the store with little or no money and buying power to purchase their product as result of an advertising campaign, or 100 who are ready to spend right now (given the right message and the right call to action). No...smooth jazz is not going to win any ratings war in any market. But who cares? It appeals to a segment of the Baby Boom audience WITH MONEY and the ability to still spend it. Even in this economy, the listeners with money are still out there, just more conscientiousness of how open they spend it. And many to most markets, this demo is the most under served, forgotten and eventually disenchanted group of listeners out there.

In the brief time the Lounge has been going (Since Father's Day 2011) the age demo's (as of 1/29) are shaking out like this...

25-34...Males 7.3%/Females 3.6%
35-45...Males 7.1%/Females 8.9%
45-54...Males 16%/Females 21%
55+......Males 18%/Females 15%

Total....Males 49%/Females 50%

Most stations are in this range (give or take 5-10%) for both male/female listening and for black/white listening. I'm got younger and older males (25-34/55+) and 35-54 females. Pretty much like a terrestrial station. Wsbzjazzkat (Hi Mark) is correct in that the current landscape in radio will not allow this type of format to exist because they have to have a larger return for their investment and they don't want to dig for this audience with a seperate sales staff. The audience did not go away but were abandoned by the large companies. I have noticed though that instead of just retreating to their CD's or iPods, the SJ audience is becoming more tech savy and are starting to look to options like the Lounge, the Wav, K-High, etc. because they have discovered apps on their phone. The music is better than ever and the audience is still there. Our quest is to provide an entertainment source that serves the niche and lowers the age demo at the same time.

Mr Seabreeze, (We have a couple of mutual friends and one day we might actually meet) you do a very good job of nailing the demo. Listened closely when I was in your area of the world back in late Nov. Paid real close to your commercial spots. Your station is still sounding the best I have heard in my many times I have been in the area over the years. Now if only others could follow your lead!

Nock

Thanks for noticing the changes in programming (and targeting of commercial advertisers)!! Also want to mention how devoted the smooth jazz audience is to concerts. Many stations don't understand this. Our 14th annual Seabreeze Jazz Festival tickets are selling strong ...[EDIT]

http://www.seabreezejazzfestival.com/

And once you start doing these shows and the get the P1's talking and excited about it -- the whole effect snowballs. If more SJ stations embraced funding these concerts (like when the format started), even on a small scale, maybe they would see that ratings doesn't matter quite as much as long as revenue is coming in from other sources. Especially when its revenue your competition can't touch (plus they are too busy beating each other up to even pay attention to the smooth jazz station in the market -- i.e. you're in stealth mode!). Even with Clear Channel, Cumulus, and other groups in our heavily radioed market (47 listenable FM signals here, more than the city of Atlanta)--none of the local stations are doing concerts. The most they do is park their remote truck in front of the Destin Seafood Festival and wave at cars. (Oh...we can't forget about the free Pepsi and pizza --that's a real draw to the money demos!) This is a great opportunity to again emphasize the brand (and most important THE LIFESTYLE) of smooth jazz to your listeners and step out of the "cookie cutter" mold that is strangling most if not all terrestrial radio today.

In a side note --- WSBZ has been approached by Sirus/XM Radio to carry the audio for the Seabreeze Jazz Festival as a special event on WaterColors. Remember the quote from the movies: "Build it...and they will come"?

[EDIT-unauthorized advertising]

We've preached this TIME and TIME again here, guys. So glad to see it's playing out the way we all expected it to when it's done right and ratings don't rule the day or programmers decisions. Bill, Mark, Chris...keep doing what you do are doing. There is an underserved audience out there that needs us and appreciates what we all do. I hear it on a daily basis. Loyalty does in fact mean something when it comes to this format. And if you are loyal and true to your convictions, your audience WILL return the favor. You can count on it.

Thanks for the great information on demographics. I appreciate it.

The reason I asked for the demographic information is because I am trying to start a local internet/Part 15 radio station and I am leaning towards a Smooth Jazz format. Here are the demographics for my area:

15-24: 11.1%
25-44: 21.8%
45-64: 25.3%
66-79: 13.8%

And there's no Smooth Jazz station. I believe that by starting a Smooth Jazz station and combining it with local news/weather, it could be a smash hit.

wsbzjazzkat said:
The smooth jazz listener demographic is still known as one of the most "desirable" and sought-after by many major advertisers because they still (other than classical music listeners) represent a group of listeners with one of the highest amount of discretionary incomes (and I mean not only CAN they spend, but they DO). No...smooth jazz is not going to win any ratings war in any market. But who cares? It appeals to a segment of the Baby Boom audience WITH MONEY and the ability to still spend it. Even in this economy, the listeners with money are still out there, just more conscientiousness of how open they spend it. And many to most markets, this demo is the most under served, forgotten and eventually disenchanted group of listeners out there.

Smooth Jazz disappeared for the most part as a terrestrial radio format because the majority of the listeners were over 55 and the number under 55 was dwindling and aging.

There is essentially no agency money for 55+. With 2/3 of the boomers now over 55, there is no incentive to serving that audience as there is no revenue as advertisers specifically specify no targeting of 55+ on radio... and look at TV, where network shows are made or canceled based on the 18-49 numbers and shows that have too much over-50 audience get nuked.

Radiofan101 said:
Does anyone have any information on the listener demographics for Smooth Jazz? Would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Before it moved towards smooth AC, heritage soft jazz KIFM in San Diego was 28% 45-54, 29% 55-64 and 28% 65+ with the small remainder under 45.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom