• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jack Greene has passed away at age 83.

Thought I knew all there was to know about Jack Greene, til I read that same story on-line this morning, copied to the MSN page. Seems Jack was a drummer for Ernest Tubb for a while. Never knew that.

For me, Jack Greene symbolized the flavor of pure, sweet country. Like Ray Price, Jack was a country crooner. Unlike Price, Green's songs always sounded country. Hate to see us lose performers like him. Love and prayers to the Jack Greene family.

allenv,

I MIGHT have that..will have to look through the vinyl!

jfrancispastirchak said:
Thought I knew all there was to know about Jack Greene, til I read that same story on-line this morning, copied to the MSN page. Seems Jack was a drummer for Ernest Tubb for a while. Never knew that.

For me, Jack Greene symbolized the flavor of pure, sweet country. Like Ray Price, Jack was a country crooner. Unlike Price, Green's songs always sounded country. Hate to see us lose performers like him. Love and prayers to the Jack Greene family.

You could not have known too much about Jack not to have known that he was once a Texas Troubadour. He came to Nashville as a drummer and was hired by ET. Ernest was one of the old style entertainers who often featured his back up musicians in his shows. Once Jack had a couple of records out and appeared to be headed to stardom Ernest cut him loose. Same for Cal Smith who was also a member of the Troubadours. Jack was paired for a while on record and on the road with Jeanie Seely.

To learn about the old timers you need to tune into www.myclassiccountry.com on Saturdays and Sundays for the Chubby Howard show. Or to WSM online for Eddie Stubbs. What those two don't know about country music isn't worth knowing.

nmoore6676 said:
jfrancispastirchak said:

You could not have known too much about Jack not to have known that he was once a Texas Troubadour.

Guilty as charged. As I've noted in other posts, by the time a small town Mom & Pop C/W station hired me in '73, 'country' was new territory for me. Jack Greene had already carved his niche as a popular solo performer.

I think I'm remembering the lyrics correctly. My Dial Global standards station played "Don't You Ever Get Tired" yesterday morning. I really liked it.

The morning show is hosted by the man who owns the station and I didn't know he spent 20-plus years as a country DJ. He has a tendency to play country records that don't seem to fit, but I hadn't really noticed that or heard him mention his love of country music until recently. I thought he liked oldies--the softer ones.

Jack Greene had a voice that was made to sing country music. "You Are My Treasure" his #1 hit from 1968 is my favorite. His duet work with Jeannie Seely is great as well. My favorite Jack Greene/Jeannie Seely recording is "What In The World Has Gone Wrong With Our Love" from 1972. RIP Jack, you gave a lot to country music and you will be missed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom