• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jack-FM production

D

dm101066

I had a friend of mine visit Minneapolis about a week ago and he tuned into the Jack station there in town...I believe its 104.1. He said on two different occasions he heard the same testimonials that run on 96.5 run on that station as well.

I am curious if this was the norm that stations rely on outside markets to receive testimonials when I would imagine a general local feedback line should generate enough locally to run on the air.

> I had a friend of mine visit Minneapolis about a week ago
> and he tuned into the Jack station there in town...I believe
> its 104.1. He said on two different occasions he heard the
> same testimonials that run on 96.5 run on that station as
> well.
>
> I am curious if this was the norm that stations rely on
> outside markets to receive testimonials when I would imagine
> a general local feedback line should generate enough locally
> to run on the air.

I'm not sure about what Minneapolis runs (and you're right it's 104.1) but I can tell you all the calls on 96-5 are local from our 206-805-1265 line. I have the pleasure of listening to them every morning.

Maybe the callers just happen to be saying the same things - how much can really be said about "why I like JACK" anyway? ;)

Jack-FM automation "burps"

Hey Jeff - you may want to tell your crack engineering staff that the Jack automation system has a tendency to "burp" (meaning it pauses for a second or two while playing a song). I don't get a lot of chances to hear the station - but each time I tuned in over the last week - there was at least one "burp".

Re: Jack-FM automation "burps"

> Hey Jeff - you may want to tell your crack engineering staff
> that the Jack automation system has a tendency to "burp"
> (meaning it pauses for a second or two while playing a
> song). I don't get a lot of chances to hear the station -
> but each time I tuned in over the last week - there was at
> least one "burp".
>

I am familiar with the concept of "burping" and wasn't aware that was going on at Jack. I'll pass that along to TPTB, thanks.

> I had a friend of mine visit Minneapolis about a week ago
> and he tuned into the Jack station there in town...I believe
> its 104.1. He said on two different occasions he heard the
> same testimonials that run on 96.5 run on that station as
> well.
>
> to run on the air.
>

I remember someone else saying that our JACK had a problem where it accidentally played another city's call letters. I believe this was early on when it switched. Though it might be a glitch, and probably not a common occurance, maybe it's just how they're sent out.

Any insights on it? The whole automation thing for multiple cities might cause people to accidentally load wrong stuff! :O

> Maybe the callers just happen to be saying the same things -
> how much can really be said about "why I like JACK" anyway?
> ;)
>
I'm not a big JACK fan. Talk about taking the local personality and feel out of radio. No wonder XM and Sirus are growing; if you are going to get a nationally programed radio station, you might as well pay $12 to $15 to get it commercial free.

> I remember someone else saying that our JACK had a problem
> where it accidentally played another city's call letters. I
> believe this was early on when it switched. Though it might
> be a glitch, and probably not a common occurance, maybe it's
> just how they're sent out.
>
> Any insights on it? The whole automation thing for multiple
> cities might cause people to accidentally load wrong stuff!

I think someone had a vivid imagination. That story was that we aired a "93-1 JACK FM" jingle on 96-5, however, that would have been very difficult for two reasons.

1. None of the Jack jingles (on the Infinity Jacks) have included a frequency sung, and the package that we used to launch were just "jack fm" and "we play what we want...jack fm."

2. 93-1 Jack FM - LA - doesn't (as of yet) have jingles...thus...hard to air it on the wrong frequency when the right frequency doesn't even have them.

> if you are going to get a nationally programed
> radio station, you minus well pay $12 to $15 to get it
> commercial free.
>

Do you mean "might as well pay"?

> to run on the air.

Doesn't seem all that different to me than the ARTIST liners that stations run....we've all seen

"Hi...this is Bono on Z-100"
"Hi...we're Los Lobos on Z-100"
"Hi...we're Maroon 5 on Z-100"
get mixed via the network with
"Hi...this is Kelly Clarkson on KIIS"

to get

"Hi...this is Bono....we're Los Lobos...we're maroon5 ... this is Kelly Clarkson ... on KIIS"
even though only ONE of those was from original testimonial for that stn.

I would suspect the same thing is happening whenever someone COULD get away with it (if they wanted to) on the testimonial side.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize "I like the Music...." "The Music is cool" "They play my stuff" can be used on any station...any format...any market...(ok, maybe not News/Talk...but you know....)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom