• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's About The Money

M

Mouth1390

The New York Daily News reports that WNEW-FM, New York billed $ 9.2 million last year with its 'dance' format.

Others on this web site have reported that WNEW-AM billed $ 9 million in its last full year on the air. It would seem to me that there is more potential in some sort of Adult/Standards format than there is with dance based on the figures.

What say you ?

> The New York Daily News reports that WNEW-FM, New York
> billed $ 9.2 million last year with its 'dance' format.
>
> Others on this web site have reported that WNEW-AM billed $
> 9 million in its last full year on the air. It would seem to
> me that there is more potential in some sort of
> Adult/Standards format than there is with dance based on the
> figures.
>
> What say you ?
>

I say what does that translate into 2006 dollars??
BTW how did WQEW bill their first year on the air (after they picked up the baton dropped by WNEW-AM?)

> > The New York Daily News reports that WNEW-FM, New York
> > billed $ 9.2 million last year with its 'dance' format.
> >
> > Others on this web site have reported that WNEW-AM billed
> $
> > 9 million in its last full year on the air. It would seem
> to
> > me that there is more potential in some sort of
> > Adult/Standards format than there is with dance based on
> the
> > figures.
> >
> > What say you ?
> >
>
> I say what does that translate into 2006 dollars??
> BTW how did WQEW bill their first year on the air (after
> they picked up the baton dropped by WNEW-AM?)
>
Under a typical growth scenario, that $ 9 million would have more than doubled by now. Figure somewhere around $ 18 to $ 20 million, given the slump in advertising after 9/11/01.

It is my understanding that WQEW billed $ 2 million in its first year. Their sales staff primarily sold WQXR with WQEW being the step child in the family.

> >
> > I say what does that translate into 2006 dollars??
> > BTW how did WQEW bill their first year on the air (after
> > they picked up the baton dropped by WNEW-AM?)
> >
> Under a typical growth scenario, that $ 9 million would have
> more than doubled by now. Figure somewhere around $ 18 to $
> 20 million, given the slump in advertising after 9/11/01.

NYC revenues, market wide, have gone from $845 million in 2000 to $839 million today. So $9 million in 2000 is $9 million today.

The 2001 slump was due to the Spring "adjustment" of the sotck marekts and a temporary economic downturn. 9/11 only prolonged it, but did not cause it.
>
> It is my understanding that WQEW billed $ 2 million in its
> first year. Their sales staff primarily sold WQXR with WQEW
> being the step child in the family.

WQEW went out with about $5 million.

Today, the core audience is nearly a decade older, and all the more undesirable with advertisers.

In NY, nearly all quality business is agency business. There is very little direct buisness (as stated on another board) that fan afford the $500 to $700 spot rates needed to bill $15 to $20 million.

WQEW, were it to have attained decent 25-54 (or 35-44 or 45-54) numbers, would have gotten bought with our without sellers. NY is a transactional market, and without ratings it is bretty rough unless you are a suburban station where you treat your market as a separate entitity... something a 50 kw NY signal can not do.

Today, with the ageing core, it would be unlikely that a staiton with that format could make $3 million in gross sales. WBLI, which is top 10 in the LI market 12+ (but not even top 20 below 55) barely gets over a million in billing... but probably is a good use for a virtual daytimer.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom