• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

It's 2015! Time to get rid of the '70s.

Which, I've heard from vinyl collectors, fetches big bucks.
On the subject of vinyl, I watch a TV series called "The 100" which is set about a hundred years in the future, or at least 100 years after nuclear war destroys the Earth as we know it. A group that survived underground has a leader who last night played classical music on an LP. Something to think about. I wonder why the writers thought people would be listening to LPs that far in the future?

Of course, everyone else who survived on Earth is living in the 10th century.

I have You Light Up My Wife err Life in my Vocals/Standards folder for weddings. I've never played it for dinner music. I'm almost afraid to. LOL.

"It Sucked Then...............and It STILL Sucks Now!".......(So appropriate that John Records Landecker chose that song for the bit on the 2008 Big89 Rewind ;) )

I almost threw up playing it as a Top40 jock in the 70s...even with a 3-4 hour rotation on currents!!

I saw the Mediabase report for a IHeart AC station that mostly plays hot AC based out of San Antonio and guess what? Barry White's "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up was believed to be included as part of the station's playlist! WTH? This song pretty certain does not belong there, sounds very old, a very sleepy song and personally, I hate listening to it. Worst song ever made by a recording artist, past or present.

Classic hits, soft AC, urban AC, urban oldies, gold AC: OK. But mainstream AC: Never.

Keep in mind that SA is over half HISPANIC and that kind of song tends to show up well in audience research in Hispanic markets.

I still occasionally hear "I'm Gonna Love You (Just A Little More) from Barry White. Perhaps, more on Oldies/Classic Hits rather than A/C.

Worst song ever made by a recording artist, past or present.

Really?

I nominate William Shatner's recording of "Rocket Man" for that honor.
http://youtu.be/5hARDXYz2io

Or if you don't think that was awful enough, here's "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds":
http://youtu.be/V1Ar79f8aN8

Barry White, on his worst day, suffering from laryngitis and a hangover, sounded at least five times better than either of Shatner's gems.

Last edited:
This song pretty certain does not belong there, sounds very old, a very sleepy song and personally, I hate listening to it. Worst song ever made by a recording artist, past or present.

Highly disagree. Worst song by a recording artist? Well then, I can then make the claim that cats do indeed, bark.

Salable Audience.

Nope. San Antonio.

The response was a reply to the post that said "I saw the Mediabase report for a IHeart AC station that mostly plays hot AC based out of San Antonio and guess what? Barry White's "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up was believed to be included as part of the station's playlist! WTH? This song pretty certain does not belong there, sounds very old, a very sleepy song and personally, I hate listening to it. "

Last edited:
Really?

Barry White, on his worst day, suffering from laryngitis and a hangover, sounded at least five times better than either of Shatner's gems.

I heard Lou Rawls had the same fate while singing "You'll Never Find....." live, back in the early 80's somewhere. Just coughing non stop!

Oh come on, it's a classic. I've heard far worse crap than this, far worse!
If I were featuring the top hits of the 70's, that song would be played.

This time I agree with you. The song is a classic. I have both of those Barry White songs loaded in my MP3 player.

This time I agree with you. The song is a classic. I have both of those Barry White songs loaded in my MP3 player.

It'll great that you can agree. I'm all for it. Heck if Democrats and Republicans can somehow agree... See I've kept the KRTH rants quiet for a time now on these boards (since it's a lost cause to today's target)... It's all good KM Richards.

Actually, that post was related to Debby Boone's 1977 smash. See posts 762 thru 764

Actually, that post was related to Debby Boone's 1977 smash. See posts 762 thru 764

I'm not going to say I'm a big fan of "You Light Up My Life" but I also wouldn't punch out of a station if it started playing. It's one of those that I personally can tolerate once in a while ... but then, you are already aware that my personal music tastes are all over the map and don't necessarily reflect my professional work. :cool:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom