• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ISED Canada and Allocation Records

Formerly Industry Canada, now called "Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada" has data bases for spectrum such as FM/TV broadcasting stations.

How does one locate source records for all those placeholder allocations? These can be the "gotchas" when trying to plan for cross-border interference. (Yes, Michi Bradley does a wonderful job with integrating both the Canadian live-stations and allocations into a single view ; still I want to dig into the raw data at times.)

I did some NCE applications a few years ago in northern Minnesota, and the FCC's standard is that you have to protect what's reported internationally and appears in the FCC database.

Having said that, I was able to get an error in the FCC database corrected - there was a conflict between the channel number in the FCC records and what the ISEDC had in its records for one vacant allocation across the border. (I used Michi's site to parse the ISEDC data.)

I worked with the FCC's international division, which reached out to their Canadian counterparts and cleared things up in my client's favo(u)r. It actually moved a lot faster and more efficiently than I expected.

I worked with the FCC's international division, which reached out to their Canadian counterparts and cleared things up in my client's favo(u)r. It actually moved a lot faster and more efficiently than I expected.
There is, similarly, a lot of "allocations but no stations" in the Mexican listings. Historically, Mexico has reserved channels via notification. For a while, they all had the same XE-or XH- calls (AM or FM) when the third and fourth letters stood for "pending operation".

Unlike your Canadian experience, getting one of those removed or even corrected could take "more time and money than it was worth" and that was likely intentional.

There was also supposed to be an increase in Night power from 500 to 1000 watts on Class I-A Mexican Clear Channels. Almost all of those former strict Class D Daytimers are still stuck at 500 watts Night maximum. There are a few which were apparently negotiated on a car by case basis which are now more than 500 watts Night. They were negotiating and it reportedly broke up because of an unrelated US NAFTA vote, and it's never been resolved. Those exclusive Mexico I-A channels are 730, 800, 900, 1050, 1220, and 1570. CKLW 800, WHN 1050, and WGAR 1220 were single exceptions authorized with 50000 watts under a "Gentlemen's Agreement" under early NARBA provisions. Note that there were no other stations in the US at Night until circa 1980 on those frequencies. Canadian stations were allowed later on these frequencies just over the border, with as much as 50000 watts Night.

Back
Top Bottom