• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is THIS our target audience?

The point is in walking into a store full of loudmouthed bozos, ENCOURAGED BY THE SALES CLERK, who are determined to make customers who may disagree with them unwelcome in that store. Get it? Maybe??

I'll ask the question again: If you didn't engage in conversation, how would they know you disagreed with them? And how would you determine that they were trying to make you unwelcome?

There's a vinyl record shop in my town; I've nicknamed it "Old Fart Day Care." The people who work there, and the customers who hang out there, are all old ex-garage rockers who think all music created after they left school is $#!+, but everything from their days was pure gold, and boy oh boy, didn't we fuggin' rock back then, you betcha. That, muscle cars, and Tea Party politics are the main topics of conversation, and they do their damndest to put down anyone who disagrees.

Needless to say, it's a total sausage fest there. Girls don't rock! Female artists are segregated in their own section, possibly to prevent the spread of "cooties?" Blacks don't rock either; except for 50's doo-woppers, all records by black artists are in a bin labeled "R & B, Soul, Disco & Etc."

Not long ago, the clerk and his cronies were holding forth on (of all topics!) Arthur Godfrey's "Too Fat Polka." "Yeah, I got that one for my boy. Y'know, that thing's got some great lyrics if yuh just listen to 'em. But yuh gotta listen to 'em! You can't play that song now, yuh know, ohhhh, myyyy, musn't offend anyone. These modern 'liberated' women all weigh 400 pounds, but god forbid ya should make fun of 'em!"

The conversation then somehow turned to the Blues Brothers; "Yuh know how they got started; it was a reaction against all that black disco crap." (Yeah right, a bunch of millionaire white movie stars start a pseudo-blues novelty band to show 'em how it's really done...) And last but hardly least...

"I just got back from South Carolina; I've never been so happy surrounded by real conservatives, not like this buncha dumb Swedes up here. Wife 'n' I were havin' dinner with a good ole boy down there, and he says to us, this country started slidin' down hill when they let women and (n-word plural) vote, and let all the queers outa their closet! Now that's the kinda thing we useta be able to say and laugh about, but not now, uh-UNH!!"

Well, I don't fit into any of those minorities (except 50% dumb Swede) and I was still offended. I'd been flipping LPS for an hour and hadn't found what I wanted anyway, so it was time to leave.

This story just doesn't pass the smell test. I say that it is a fantasy used to promote your own personal agenda. But you can prove me wrong. I asume that no one at the store knew your name. And I also assume that you won't be returning to the store. So just give us the name of the store and the town that it's located in. Then we can check it out for ourselves.

Look, either you're so dense that light doesn't escape, or you're just using the old tactic of "if you don't like the message, attack the messenger." I have nothing whatsoever to gain by fabricating a story. And if you've been paying attention, you've noted my comments that I do have to patronize this store out of lack of choice. Your demand for background info is obviously an attempt to incite a reprisal against me. Apparently you have your own agenda here; either to discredit anything I say, or to force the site admins to move this thread to the TIO wasteland. My recollections as reported are as word-for-word correct as human memory can allow (I don't wear a wire, after all); your attitude is what "doesn't pass the smell test."

Nor would I have expected them to. Even with all the reissues around, there's a lot of great stuff you can only find on vinyl. This was never the point, and you know that. The point is in walking into a store full of loudmouthed bozos, ENCOURAGED BY THE SALES CLERK, who are determined to make customers who may disagree with them unwelcome in that store. Get it? Maybe??

Didn't see anything here about "lack of choice".

The store probably gets business because they're the only one of its kind within about 150 miles; you do business with them or take your chances on ebay.

Now personally, I would rather "take a chance on eBay" than do business with a store like this. Actually, there is no "chance"............ eBay has a Buyer Protection policy.

I live in Nashville. There is no way that I would go into Ernest Tubb's record shop downtown looking for gangsta rap. There is another record store in Bordeaux, but I would not go in there expecting to find any Conway Twitty records.

I remember back in the early '90s at a record store down in west Tennessee where I used to live, a black customer came in asking the proprietor for a Garth Brooks album. The customer and the proprietor struck up a conversation, with the customer saying that country music was just "the white man's blues." I could agree with that, even though I am not that big of a fan of country music myself. And that proprietor was well-known for special orders for customers, maybe still is. I will have to look him up to see if he is still in business.

Meanwhile, back here in Nashville, there is a local used record store, and when I go in there, I almost always hear some fascinating conversation about WLS back in the '70s, or something like that. Nothing snobbish, although you would need to be of a certain age to relate to some of it. This store often has a better selection than other used record stores, but the drawbacks are that it is now open only three days a week, they are in a "declining" part of town, and their parking lot is extremely difficult to get into, and out of, but the worst is that their prices are often too high. (Hence the selection, I suppose.) They will put "out of print" stickers on CDs, and then jack the price of those CDs up to $25! They don't understand the law of supply and demand. Those CDs are "out of print" BECAUSE of low demand! Jacking up the prices on low demand CDs (regardless of availability) ain't gonna move product!

In the first place, I don't know why some of the correspondents on this thread think I'm going to an oldies vinyl shop looking for Lady Gaga or gangsta rap. I go there looking for oldies on vinyl, admittedly more 1970's than 50's/60's. And there's nothing necessarily wrong with ebay, if you don't mind waiting ten days for a record, paying twice as much for postage as for the disc itself, and sorting through the yokels who think their Andy Williams or Herb Alpert LPS are worth fifty bucks a pop. I will go the mail-order route for items I truly can't find locally. And once in a while, you do find a real bargain too.

For a while, this store was displaying their Timi Yuro LPS with a sign reading "EARLY FEMINIST (READ: LESBIAN) MUSIC." As far as I know, the late Ms. Yuro was neither, not that it matters; though as these guys would say "you know about girls with deep voices..." (When Cher made her first record under a pseudonym, DJS thought she was a man too.) Anyway, they've since removed the sign but have further moved them from the already-segregated female singers section to a bin labeled "Starlets/Harlots" containing LPS by Yvonne de Carlo, Dorothy Lamour, Joey Heatherton, Claudine Longet, and Julie London (?) (And of course, marked them up.)

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment, and yes, I've also been ridiculed for my tastes in music by that same sales clerk (the store owners, who work weekends there, are somewhat more tolerant in that regard.) Ever brought a record to the checkout counter and been told by the clerk how much he "hates that piece of sh!t" and asked why you listen to it? Obviously, you were/are a real salesman, who ran your store to attract customers, not just as a hangout for your pals.
If a store owner thinks that certain music is a "piece of shit," then even CARRYING such music could be considered a judgement on him for even carrying that music. If it is a sales clerk who says that, then he should be fired.
In fairness, I should say the other side of the equation can be just as boneheaded in their own way. We have a local alt-weekly here that is pretty much just a soap box for hipster-wannabees' rants. Their too-cool-to-live music columnist spins out endless variations on the White Stripes and why Jim Morrison was the coolest, most geniusest musician ever. Well, last year he devoted a whole two tabloid pages of praise to a musical group he had never heard of...THE MILLS BROTHERS. His rationale? "I don't listen to granny music!"
I can't stand anyone who thinks that certain musicians have "sold out" if more than three people have ever heard of them. Apparently, such people believe that musicians should not be able to earn a living with their music.

The Mills Brothers performed "Till Then" in 1944, well before The Classics in 1963, who did covers of a lot of a lot of 1920s and 1930s stuff.

That the music was categorized by genre is not a segregationist thing, just as a library is not segregationist for having different sections of reading material.

But where do we put this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qev-i9-VKlY

Last edited:
Considering that one of her groups was called "Big Brother & The Holding Co." I would bank on TheFonz's suggestion...or just cynical about all the "stuff" everyone needed to have then and now.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom