• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is this adult contemporary?

He's thinking Soft AC. AC generally is "listenable" familiar music, while it appears this one is a blend with Adult Hits, which is more rock-driven and about variety.
Soft AC, as defined going back to the WDUV success story, is basically very light on recurrents, few currents and consists of mostly gold that is not rock, dance, urban or country. In its earliest form, it was Barry Manilow and the Carpenters with a dash of John Denver.

Today, "soft" AC is less soft and more gold based, but without the nostalgia of pure gold and the inclusion of some currrents and recurrents.

AC began as "chicken rock" and was Top 40 without the harder rock but with more adult ballads. That began around '71 or '72 and, of course, had lots of gold mixed in. In more recent years, some AC stations started playing more currents, becoming Hot ACs and some reduced the currents and some of the "hottest" stuff while playing older gold and became Soft AC.

Adult hits, or the "Jack" format, can be more rock driven in rock-partisan markets, and much less in more rhythmic or AC driven markets. In fact, the Jack stations in the top 50 markets all have locally determined playlists.

Soft AC, as defined going back to the WDUV success story, is basically very light on recurrents, few currents and consists of mostly gold that is not rock, dance, urban or country. In its earliest form, it was Barry Manilow and the Carpenters with a dash of John Denver.

Today, "soft" AC is less soft and more gold based, but without the nostalgia of pure gold and the inclusion of some currrents and recurrents.

AC began as "chicken rock" and was Top 40 without the harder rock but with more adult ballads. That began around '71 or '72 and, of course, had lots of gold mixed in. In more recent years, some AC stations started playing more currents, becoming Hot ACs and some reduced the currents and some of the "hottest" stuff while playing older gold and became Soft AC.

Adult hits, or the "Jack" format, can be more rock driven in rock-partisan markets, and much less in more rhythmic or AC driven markets. In fact, the Jack stations in the top 50 markets all have locally determined playlists.
The current ac seems more like mor pop music to me. Cumulus has the same playlist for many of their jack stations, including ours in kc. Alpha media's 98.5 jack fm in Topeka has the exact same playlist as well. Since I'm able to pick up both in kc, I often hear 102.5 jack fm play a song and can pick up 98.5 playing the exact same song minutes later due to the shared playlist (they're on a short delay.)

WEZV Myrtle Beach SC has finally started showing what song plays now. However, there doesn't seem to be a "last songs played" so this isn't a complete list from yesterday afternoon. It was relatively easy to remember because the title and artist are the name of the web site shown when I am going back and forth between windows. Unlike the station in the first post, this station has both a lot of 20th century gold and quite a few relatively new songs.

"Mad about You" Belinda Carlisle
"I'll Be" Edwin McCain
"Candle in the Wind" Elton John
"Don't Speak" No Doubt
"Take My Breath Away" No Doubt
"We Belong" Pat Benatar
"I Hope" Gabby Barrett and Charlie Puth
"Leave the Door Open" Sonic Silk
"A Moment Like This" Kelly Clarkson
"Lean on Me" Club Nouveau
"Best Day of My Life" American Authors
"Take On Me" A-ha
"Sucker" Jonas Brothers
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" Cyndi Lauper
"Dreams" Cranberries
"Somebody That I Used to Know" Gotye
"Before You Go" Lewis Capaldi
"Quit Playing Games" Backstreet Boys
"When Doves Cry" Prince
"Use Somebody" Kings of Leon
"Heaven Is a Place on Earth" Belinda Carlisle
"Holy" Justin Bieber
"Tell Her about It" Billy Joel
"Hold My Hand" Hootie and the Blowfish
"Lips Are Movin" Meghan Trainor
"Memories" Maroon 5
"Missing You" John Waite
"You Can't Hurry Love" Phil Collins
"Run Around" Blues Traveler
"Delicate" Taylor Swift
"Good to Be Alive" Andy Grammer
"Danger Zone" Kenny Loggins
"When I Was Your Man" Bruno Mars
"Here I Go Again" Whitesnake
"I Don't Care" Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber
"Roar" Katy Perry
"Margaritaville" Jimmy Buffett
"Stay" Rihanna
"Stuck with You" Huey Lewis and the News
"Iris" Goo Goo Dolls
"Treat You Better" Shawn Mendes
"A Million Dreams" P!nk
"When I Think of You" Janet Jackson
"Royals" Lorde
"Set Fire to the Rain" Adele
"Total Eclipse of the Heart" Bonnie Tyler
"Hero" Mariah Carey
"Against the Wind" Bob Seger
"Break My Heart" Dua Lipa
'Glory of Love" Peter Cetera
"Girls like You" Maroon 5
"Losing My Religion" REM
"Shur Up and Dance" Walk the Moon
"Holiday" Madonna
"Speechless" Dan + Shay
"I Think We're Alone Now" Tiffany

Finally! Someone has defined exactly what K-104.7 is.

Also, he's saying WDUV is no longer soft AC.

Also, he's saying WDUV is no longer soft AC.
When they found that the soft and old AC format imported from WDUV would not work in Miami, they also realized that the changing ethnic composition that affected Miami also affected Tampa. So, when they saw the changes that made the ratings improve radically in Miami, they decided to blow off the older demos on WDUV and "modernize" the format for the new Florida.

WDUV with old demos had been #1 in 12+, but was about 15th in 25-54. Suddenly it was in the top couple of stations in 25-54 and revenue started catching up. It's a bit more gold based than more traditional AC stations, but both tempo and average song age are much more up and new.

Wow. I was aggressive with my music when I programmed AC in the 70s and very early 80s, but that Doors record does not fit with the rest of that music at all.
Maybe the DJ needed a bathroom break, and it's the first 7+ minute song he could think of. ("Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" is another good one.)

Maybe the DJ needed a bathroom break, and it's the first 7+ minute song he could think of. ("Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" is another good one.)
I'd be very surprised to hear the long version of "Light My Fire" on anything but a classic rock station, in the '80s or now.

Wow. I was aggressive with my music when I programmed AC in the 70s and very early 80s, but that Doors record does not fit with the rest of that music at all.
In the 80s and early 90s, WLW described the music it was playing between talk shows as "male A/C". The Doors, (even Roadhoue Blues and Break On Through)., Heart, J. Geils Band and more in that vein.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom