• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Terry Dorsey the Longest running morning show in DFW Ever?

I was driving in to work this morning listening to the morning guys on various station when a question pop into my head,
Who has been on morning radio the longest in DFW? I am talking from the start of time for DFW radio... Terry Dorsey has to be on top of that mountain if not then who?

radionosey said:
I was driving in to work this morning listening to the morning guys on various station when a question pop into my head,
Who has been on morning radio the longest in DFW? I am talking from the start of time for DFW radio... Terry Dorsey has to be on top of that mountain if not then who?

He's the only one I know, I think the second longest morning show is Kidd Kraddick In The Morning.

Hal Jay might have something to say about that...mornings on KPLX when they first went country in 80, and since about '81 or 82, WBAP...and he did AM and PM drive for a number of years. KSCS remained "continuous country" long after the Plex hit the scene.

I think Willis Johnson has been on the air in the mornings on KKDA since 1978 or 1979

Don't forget Bo and Jim. (with a short break between Q-102, Bo@the Bone and KZPS)

Not sure if my memory is correct but didn't Dorsey start at KPLX in the early 80's is so that would give him 30+ consecutive years doing mornings in DFW... WOW

radionosey said:
Not sure if my memory is correct but didn't Dorsey start at KPLX in the early 80's is so that would give him 30+ consecutive years doing mornings in DFW... WOW

Ron Chapman started in the early 70s on KVIL...I think his run is still longer than Dorsey's.

I think Chapman is the longest in recent history, but back in history to the 40's and 50's, there has probably been somone longer, like George Erwin on KFJZ.

There have been several that have been in the market for a good number of years, not necessarly at the same station.

radionosey said:

Bingo.. Circa '82.. Darn, seems like yesterday when you're an old toot...

Chapman started on KLIF in 1959. He was on the air in the market for over 50 years. Not sure how long George Erwin was on KFJZ but it was a long time. Ditto Hal Jay.

Morgan Choat started at KCUL (Fort Worth), stayed through the KBUY (Fort Worth) years, later went to KJIM (Fort Worth) was at KXOL (Fort Worth), then to KCLE (Cleburne) and to KTFW (Studios in Cleburne), with stops at KBEC (Waxahachie) and a few others. It took him from 1956 though 2006, for 50 years years in radio. He started at age 30 and finished at age 80 and he could still do it today. He knew and still knows all of the well known older country artists that are left and remembers all of their names and songs. The guy is something else! The key to his longevity was that held a First Class License through the years that it was necessary to do so and in so doing was Chief Engineer for the stations that he was at early on when the First was necessary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom