• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is it the end of Hot AC?

As you may know, many Hot AC stations are evolving into at least Adult Top 40 (WDVD in Detroit, KYKY in St. Louis, and KHMX in Houston to name a few.) Is Hot AC slowly dying? Why do you think Hot AC is changing? Obviously, times are always changing, but it seems that Hot AC is changing with them.

Hot AC has always primarily targeted women 25-44. In the 90s, they were into Alanis, Sarah McLachlan, and Dido. Today, the women who grew up on Katy Perry and Rihanna aren't just gonna ditch them for Daughtry and The Fray just because they got a college degree. Sadly, it's a sign of the times, but Hot ACs are getting great ratings nonetheless.

chrocket87 said:
In the 90s, they were into Alanis, Sarah McLachlan, and Dido.

Actually, Dido didn't really make an impact on the U.S. pop music scene until the early '00s. Her huge hit "Thank You" wasn't released until December 2000, and her second big hit "White Flag" came out in 2003.

I'm not surprised. CHR is becoming more popular among female listeners in their 30s, who make up a lot of Hot AC's audience. It's not just kids and young adults listening to it anymore. Hot AC is likely losing some of its target audience to CHR, thus they are having to evolve to remain competitive. There is a TON of overlap/crossover on Hot AC and CHR right now.

I've mentioned this on the AC board, but I think AC is in more trouble than Hot AC.

new_friends_gr said:
chrocket87 said:
In the 90s, they were into Alanis, Sarah McLachlan, and Dido.

Actually, Dido didn't really make an impact on the U.S. pop music scene until the early '00s. Her huge hit "Thank You" wasn't released until December 2000, and her second big hit "White Flag" came out in 2003.
Ahhh, mixed up the dates for her. My point was the 25-54 y/o ladies were listening to GRRRRL power artists in the late 90s/early 2000s, alternative as well, hence the Third Eye Blind, Lifehouse, MB20 in the early part of the decade. This also led to the watered-down alternative, such as Train and John Mayer. Today, this demographic likes the rhythmic material. And just as Hot AC played watered down Alternative a decade ago, it now plays watered down rhythmic material, as MOST Hot ACs stray from harder rap.

Another thing that's making Hot AC and CHR more similar is that Hot AC can't really make the "without the rap" claim anymore. How many "true" rap songs are really on the CHR chart (excluding a song like "Payphone") anymore? All there really is is the "lighter" rap like Pitbull, Nicki Minaj, and Flo-Rida - the harder rap like Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, etc. has pretty much disappeared or failed to have a big impact.

carolinaradio said:
Another thing that's making Hot AC and CHR more similar is that Hot AC can't really make the "without the rap" claim anymore. How many "true" rap songs are really on the CHR chart (excluding a song like "Payphone") anymore? All there really is is the "lighter" rap like Pitbull, Nicki Minaj, and Flo-Rida - the harder rap like Lil Wayne, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, etc. has pretty much disappeared or failed to have a big impact.

Ironically, our local Hot AC station WMYI, used to make the claim that they played all the fresh new songs "without all the songs that you don't want to hear". That seemed to heavily imply the lack of hip-hop/rap in their mix. With the past few months, even that station has begun to mix in songs that have rap and/or hip-hop influences. (Frankly, I personally am not all that pleased with that decision, but they still are less urban leaning than most CHRs). I would have never thought they'd even dig up something like "Gold Digger".

Not sure if that's an effort to take more of the CHR pie locally, but what you say is at least true here in Greenville, SC, now.

awp69 said:
Ironically, our local Hot AC station WMYI, used to make the claim that they played all the fresh new songs "without all the songs that you don't want to hear". That seemed to heavily imply the lack of hip-hop/rap in their mix. With the past few months, even that station has begun to mix in songs that have rap and/or hip-hop influences. (Frankly, I personally am not all that pleased with that decision, but they still are less urban leaning than most CHRs). I would have never thought they'd even dig up something like "Gold Digger".

Not sure if that's an effort to take more of the CHR pie locally, but what you say is at least true here in Greenville, SC, now.
Hot AC overall has become more rhythmic friendly which in turn is making it sound more like CHR. I don't like these songs like "Sexy & I Know It" crossing over, either, but it may have some appeal with 25-44 females that listen with their kids. Keep in mind that the younger end of that demo grew up when hip hop/rap started becoming and was popular, so they may be more accepting to the rhythmic material that now makes up a sizable portion of the format.

At least acts like Grouplove, Ed Sheeran, Jason Mraz, Neon Trees, and Andy Grammer can cross over to pretty much any Hot AC without much effort unlike CHR. I think Hot AC is now more cutting edge than CHR -- taking risks with new songs/acts (read: pop/rock) that all don't sound the same, unlike most CHR's.

Also, CHR is becoming more popular with females in to their 30s, so Hot AC is having to keep up with CHR somewhat to keep their prime demo.

Some of these rhythmic songs that WMYI is playing, though, like "Yeah!" by Usher, "Gold Digger" by Kanye West, etc. really don't belong on Hot AC.

carolinaradio said:
At least acts like Grouplove, Ed Sheeran, Jason Mraz, Neon Trees, and Andy Grammer can cross over to pretty much any Hot AC without much effort unlike CHR. I think Hot AC is now more cutting edge than CHR -- taking risks with new songs/acts (read: pop/rock) that all don't sound the same, unlike most CHR's.

Totally agree with this. Even with the rhythmic material that's being played, Hot AC definately still is more pop/rock friendly. There's been several songs that I first heard on WMYI before, if ever, hearing on WFBC in Greenville. They've been playing "Some Nights" by Fun. quite regularly and I haven't heard it yet on our CHR, but they probably are at night or in less rotation.

awp69 said:
carolinaradio said:

Totally agree with this. Even with the rhythmic material that's being played, Hot AC definately still is more pop/rock friendly. There's been several songs that I first heard on WMYI before, if ever, hearing on WFBC in Greenville. They've been playing "Some Nights" by Fun. quite regularly and I haven't heard it yet on our CHR, but they probably are at night or in less rotation.
I haven't heard it on the B either, but I have heard it on Channel 96.1 who does a good job with pop/rock AND rhythmic. The latter is my choice for my CHR fix.

carolinaradio said:
I haven't heard it on the B either, but I have heard it on Channel 96.1 who does a good job with pop/rock AND rhythmic.  The latter is my choice for my CHR fix.

True, even Kiss 95.1 is more diverse (and I've heard "Some Nights" on it as well), although 96.1 is better overall. Train's latest single is another one I've heard on MY as well as the Charlotte CHRs, but not B yet.

Anyway, even if Hot AC someday goes away, I think Adult CHR would take it's place. For the most part, Hot AC/Adult CHR is willing to play more cutting-edge bands that may sound slightly different. Even Adele was popular on Hot AC and, if you go back far enough, on Alternative stations before she became the over-played CHR sensation she is today. I think there will always be a place for stations that show a bit more love toward pop/rock.

I think Mainstream AC has much more to worry about than Hot AC. I guess if Hot AC's eventually all sounded like Adult CHR's, Mainstream AC could evolve in to what Hot AC is/was. Mainstream AC lost its "niche" of being "Soft" so now it's just a hodge-podge of the Hot AC, Adult Hits, and Classic Hits/Oldies formats. Not much unique about it anymore. Hot AC is actually out-performing Mainstream AC in a number of markets. I think listeners who want newer music are going to Hot AC/CHR and older music are going to Classic Hits/Oldies and Adult Hits. AC is kind of the odd format out and is losing its way. Unless it evolves or re-invents itself, I actually think AC will be in more trouble than Hot AC once they lose the upper end of the 25-54 demographic.

I don't get to listen to Kiss 95.1 much, their signal is less reliable than Channel's.

carolinaradio said:
Mainstream AC lost its "niche" of being "Soft" so now it's just a hodge-podge of the Hot AC, Adult Hits, and Classic Hits/Oldies formats. I think listeners who want newer music are going to Hot AC/CHR and older music are going to Classic Hits/Oldies and Adult Hits.

When people talk about "Adult Hits", do they really mean "Variety Hits"? I'm trying to figure out the difference between Variety Hits/Adult Hits and Classic Hits.

new_friends_gr said:
carolinaradio said:
Mainstream AC lost its "niche" of being "Soft" so now it's just a hodge-podge of the Hot AC, Adult Hits, and Classic Hits/Oldies formats. I think listeners who want newer music are going to Hot AC/CHR and older music are going to Classic Hits/Oldies and Adult Hits.

When people talk about "Adult Hits", do they really mean "Variety Hits"? I'm trying to figure out the difference between Variety Hits/Adult Hits and Classic Hits.
Adult Hits/Variety hits are the same thing, really. The "We Play Anything"/Jack-FM formats.

Classic Hits is totally different - mostly 60s/70s/80s pop/rock and pop from the late 60s-mid 80s. Basically the evolved "oldies" format. These stations are more structured and have personalities. They don't play hard rock, 90s/00s, or newer stuff like Adult Hits.

Jasonthegreat said:
As you may know, many Hot AC stations are evolving into at least Adult Top 40 (WDVD in Detroit, KYKY in St. Louis, and KHMX in Houston to name a few.) Is Hot AC slowly dying?

It's not dying - it's evolving - if the CHR in your market is nearly Rhythmic, there's now a hole in the market for Adult Top 40 (for Hot AC to take advantage of)

atlantaboy said:
Jasonthegreat said:
As you may know, many Hot AC stations are evolving into at least Adult Top 40 (WDVD in Detroit, KYKY in St. Louis, and KHMX in Houston to name a few.) Is Hot AC slowly dying?

It's not dying - it's evolving - if the CHR in your market is nearly Rhythmic, there's now a hole in the market for Adult Top 40 (for Hot AC to take advantage of)

That's exactly what KDMX here in Dallas did.. they dropped the "Mix" Moniker for "NOW" and they play everything from Usher, to LMFAO, to Flo Rida, as well as throwing in older tracks by Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, and even Def Leppard and Bon Jovi..It's a breath of fresh air from the 3 rhythmic-leaning CHR's here

While I don't care for the extra rhythmic/CHR on Hot AC, it seems to be working out well. For one example Q104 in Cleveland has driven even more CHR than it used to (always leaned CHR, as per most CBS Hit ACs) and it has recently taken over longtime rival WAKS, a CC "Kiss FM" CHR in the 6+ ratings. In Columbus, the HOT AC station was consistently in the 1.5-1.9 AQH before adding more CHR material, in the last subscribed book, it shot up to the low 3.0 share, and that's with a weak signal.

carolinaradio said:
Adult Hits/Variety hits are the same thing, really. The "We Play Anything"/Jack-FM formats.

Speaking of these Jack-FM-type stations ... there's a discussion in another thread (on the Detroit board) about how Doug FM/Detroit should be classified. Based on the music that they are playing, they really should change their classification to Classic Rock. Do most Jack-FM-type stations actually include a wide variety of music, including pop/rock stuff from the '90s, '00s, and now? Or do they really skew closer to Classic Hits (where the majority of the music they play is older)?

Sorry for veering this off the topic of Hot AC, but I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are. (I'll probably post a similar topic on the '80s/'90s board.)

new_friends_gr said:
carolinaradio said:

Speaking of these Jack-FM-type stations ... there's a discussion in another thread (on the Detroit board) about how Doug FM/Detroit should be classified. Based on the music that they are playing, they really should change their classification to Classic Rock. Do most Jack-FM-type stations actually include a wide variety of music, including pop/rock stuff from the '90s, '00s, and now? Or do they really skew closer to Classic Hits (where the majority of the music they play is older)?

Sorry for veering this off the topic of Hot AC, but I'm just curious as to what your thoughts are. (I'll probably post a similar topic on the '80s/'90s board.)

My local Jack KJKK plays everything from Kelly Clarkson to CCR..So it's not uncommon at all for Jack-type stations to play current pop songs

There actually is a difference between Hot AC and Adult Top 40. Hot AC usually plays the top songs from the 90s, 2000s, and today (though some Hot ACs played 80s music a few years back.) Adult Top 40 usually plays adult-leaning currents or recurrents.

Remember I mentioned those former Hot AC stations that were leaning toward Adult Top 40? They are still considered Hot AC, but are leaning heavily toward Adult Top 40 (meaning a majority of the songs in their playlist are currents or recurrents.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom