• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Hot AC shifting away from 80's and 90's

When I moved to Florida in 2004 I started listening to Citrus 95.3. (WXCV-FM) In 2004 they were mixing Maroon 5, Gwen Stefani and Gavin McGraw with the Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode, Cindi Lauper and Hall and Oates. 95.3 was all over the map too. Playing Pop as well as Rock songs from the 80's and 90's

However recently the station stopped playing 80's and 90's entirely. For the exception of the Music Choice during the Bob and Sheri show. For the exception of the occasional Dave Mathews and John Mellencamp song. Now the heavy rotation is centered on LMFAO, Rhinia, Adele and other such artists.

WXCV is broadcast via ABC Radio under ownership of WGUL-FM. The music feed comes from ABC Radio as well as the syndicated Bob and Sheri feed. Its a Class A in Citrus County that serves the Nature Coast.

Is Hot AC abandoning Pre-2000's music This totally sucks. Maybe I liked Adele, KT Tunstall and Kelly Clarkson mixed in with The Culture Club, Billy Idol and New Order.

gamefreak said:
When I moved to Florida in 2004 I started listening to Citrus 95.3. (WXCV-FM) In 2004 they were mixing Maroon 5, Gwen Stefani and Gavin McGraw with the Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode, Cindi Lauper and Hall and Oates. 95.3 was all over the map too. Playing Pop as well as Rock songs from the 80's and 90's

However recently the station stopped playing 80's and 90's entirely. For the exception of the Music Choice during the Bob and Sheri show. For the exception of the occasional Dave Mathews and John Mellencamp song. Now the heavy rotation is centered on LMFAO, Rhinia, Adele and other such artists.

WXCV is broadcast via ABC Radio under ownership of WGUL-FM. The music feed comes from ABC Radio as well as the syndicated Bob and Sheri feed. Its a Class A in Citrus County that serves the Nature Coast.

Is Hot AC abandoning Pre-2000's music This totally sucks. Maybe I liked Adele, KT Tunstall and Kelly Clarkson mixed in with The Culture Club, Billy Idol and New Order.

B&S are syndicated by Dial-Global, so if they are airing a satellite format, I would assume it would be from DG.

But, I thought they were locally programmed...

It seems that the station is locally programmed during the day part. From 10 am to about 7 pm With the Bob and Sheri in the AM. However I heard a while back the station also runs off a ABC Radio feed. I know sister station WJQB 106.3 is Scott Shannon True Oldies but with a morning show done by Marvelous Marvin. Formely of WRBQ, The Lengenary Q-105 I guess the feed may only be used in the afterhours/ overnght periods.

I not entirely sure thugh. I also believe the station is live on Weekend Afternoons as well as nights that play specialty music. Such as Open-House show on Saturday Nights or the Friday night all request show.

I know one program I really liked that Citrus 95 did was the 70's at 7, 80's at 8, 90's at 9 than all Request at Ten on friday evenings.

Bob & Sheri were based out of Charlotte, and syndicated by 107.9 The Link, at least as of 5 years ago - I didn't think Dial Global Hot AC stations aired them at all, unless it happened in the past couple years

WXCV has programming with ABC Radio according to its Wikipedia Page.

Does anyone else noticed to Hot AC's are getting rid of music over 10 years old. I also noticed this with Hot AC's in other markets as well. Even with WMTX Mix 100.7 in Tampa. The station plays some older music but not nearly enough as before.

Sample Hour of WXCV 95.3 from 2006.

Blister in the Sun- Violent Femmes (80's)
Irreplaceable- Beyonce (Current)
Black Horse and Cherry Tree- K.T Tunstall (Current)
Chasing Cars- Snow Patrol
Hips don't Lie- Shakira (Current)
This Love- Maroon 5
I don't wanna be- Gavin McGraw
Ants Marching- Dave Mathews Band (90's)

The playlist on WXCV used to consist of primarily artists such as Maroon 5, Gwen Stefani, Colby Caliet, Snow Patrol and KT Tunstall. With some hits from Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Black Eye Peas and so on. The station did play Currents, Re-Currents from the past decade as well as 80's and 90's music. Music from Dave Mathews Band, Goo Goo Dolls, Madonna, Ace of Base and even Billy Idol had some rotation on WXCV as of 5 years ago.

Why is the reason Hot AC is shifting from older music.

Does anyone else have sample hours of various Hot AC stations. Especially the ones that play a broad variety of Music from the 80's through Today. Does anyone also a a sample hour of a Hot AC that has largely ditched 80's and 90's.

I only consider stations that do play Currents. I don't feel a station is Hot AC if they don't play currents. I would count stations that don't play Currents is either Mainstream AC or Adult Hits.

gamefreak said:

Are you serious? That's what they're supposed to be doing - playing current music mixed in with music from the last 10-15 years.

atlantaboy said:
gamefreak said:

Are you serious? That's what they're supposed to be doing - playing current music mixed in with music from the last 10-15 years.
If you listen to most CBS Hot ACs, you're lucky to hear much anything from before the past few years...

Hot AC isn't what we knew it as before. WOMX has gotten rid of 80's and 90's music too. WSJO gone the same rute.
Here's what I think happend.
the 80's music is being morfed onto Oldies stations. (Shocked to hear Pore Some Sugar on me" on WOCL this weekend.
It is possible that Adult Hits is the format that concintrates more on 80's and 90's music (but with les currents then a Hot AC would play)
IT is also possible that the 80's rock stations (those that are still left) are playing more of the Hot AC 90's that was once heard on Hot AC (WPOI in its last incarnation.)
Seems to me formats have gotten even more fragmented.
Hot AC (rock leaning) more rock bassed, not so much CHR) Hot AC (with CHR lean) seems the way most Hot AC's have gone today) Perhaps the Hot AC's that you are sspeaking about in the past would now be called a Moddern AC. Yeesh all these fragmented formats is enough to make ones head go spin...

Asking why Hot AC doesn't play the 80s anymore is like asking why CHR doesn't play the 90s anymore - they are current-based formats, and obviously what is current changes with the times

So would WCVQ-FM in Clarksville, Tn be considered today. The Hot AC format is heavy on Rock-Based hits, Country Crossovers as well as older music. The station as of last year still airs both additions of Backtrax USA. As well as Retro Pop Reunion.

The problem here in Central Florida is the 80's and 90's music is being neglected more and more. While WWRM has been playing more of that music lately they are not going to get that deep in that kind of music. Unless of course the music mixes in well with its AC image.

WOCL I believe is the only station playing 80's in regular rotation. (Other than Max 98.3) Even then its mainly the Pop Hits. No INXS, The Clash, Talk Talk, Erasure, Depeche Mode, R.E.M, New Order, and so on. The New Wave selection is somewhat sizeble and the Classic Alternative is zilch.

The 90's is a little different. A variety of Hot AC's in the area play a limited 90's selection. WMTX comes in mind in the fact that it would occasionaly play a Counting Crows or Alanis Morrisette song.

Other than WWRZ nobody in the Central Fl area will try the Adult Hits format. If I'm not mistaken ratings had a lot to do with Cox dumping the 80's/90's format on WPOI. So when Market Researchers look at Tampa as a whole for new formats they would look at the Adult Hits and say "The last time 80's and 90's Adult Hits was tried the format was only ranked #13." Not even considering the format on WPOI was for most of its existence poorly-programmed. Hense was the big reason ratings were OK but not high by any means as of May 2011.

The 80'S and 90's music as a whole has been neglated. The Oldies station would touch some of the music but not all and the Hot AC's Avoid music over 10 years old. Then the Mainstream Ac's will only touch the softer tracks. How many times must I hear "Don't Speak" by No Doubt.

So the only way you will hear some Classic Alt Tracks on terrestrial radio is if an Adult Hits format was pulled off or your Hot AC was friendly with old music. WPOI was the last station paying exposue to this music.

Lets summarize this some more.

WOCL Sunny FM- Plays the CHR/ Top 40 from the 80's. Great Station overall! The music the station doesn't play is more of the New Wave/ Classic Alt breed of artists. However that is understandable considering Sunny FM is by far CHR based.

WWRM- Plays mainly some softer Top 40 hits from the 80's and 90's. George Micheal, 90's Micheal Jackson, Shaggy, Rod Steward, Matchbox 20 and as of recentely Sugar Ray, Goo Goo Dolls and Dunken Shiek. The music selection has broaded out as of recentely to include songs from Duran Duran, Alanis Morresette and some of the Soft Rock selections from WPOI. I had it on Magic yesturday (other than Delilah) and have noted what music was played. You not going to hear the Violent Femmes on Magic anytime soon.

WMTX- Adds a few retro songs in for flavor. Heard SImples Minds "Don't You Forget About Me" last night.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves 80's and 90's music. I just wish that a station in my area would play all the music from that era. Including the Lost Hits, Classic Alternaive, Post-Punk, New Wave and even some of the Dance music. (The Grunge gets overplayed on Rock stations.) So far the only station that does is Max 98.3. (I can't hear them up near Ocala.)

I think you are screwed. WKTK is in the way and unless someone else tries it (which I dont see happening any time soon) its probably not comeing back.
I dont get 94.9 out of tampa, but that sounds like it is going away from Mainstream AC. Hmm. maybe Shawn should post another topic on if AC's are becomeing not only more CHR friendly but perhaps simply just going more in a Hot AC direction as well.

Good thing airchecks exist.

Here in Columbus, Saga owns Mix 1079 (WVMX) which is billed as Hot AC, but more of an Adult CHR. They also own Sunny 95 (AC) and Rewind 1035/1043 (Adult Hits). When Mix first launched, they were "80s, 90s, Now" taking the place of WBNS FM that flipped to Sports, just a day before the launch. The 80's disappeared eventually and they changed their positioner to "Today's Best Mix". Here they are at 12am:

Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me
Michael Franti & Spearhead - Say Hey (I Love You)
The Fray - Heartbeat
Goo Goo Dolls - Name
Bruno Mars - It Will Rain
Cee Lo Green - Forget You
No Doubt - It's My Life
All-American Rejects - Gives You Hell
Ke$ha - Your Love Is My Drug
Snow Patrol - Called Out In The Dark
Kevin Rudolf - Let It Rock
Lady Gaga - Poker Face
Katy Perry - Firework
Gavin DeGraw - Not Over You
Matchbox 20 - Push

They tend to be more CHR-leaning at night during Billy Bush from 7-11p (MyMix1079.com)

atlantaboy said:
Asking why Hot AC doesn't play the 80s anymore is like asking why CHR doesn't play the 90s anymore - they are current-based formats, and obviously what is current changes with the times
It's like the people on here that get upset about AC doing away with the 70s - we're a couple of years in to a new decade, and these stations can't mix music from 3 or 4 decades ago with new stuff very well...

80's and 90's music is in a catch-22. Hot AC will not play the stuff because it is too old. Oldies and Classic Hits won't because its too new for its demos and Mainstream AC will only play the Ballads mixed with an occasional Erythmics or Cindi Lauper song.

Sad to say but KTK is in fact the only station in the area playing some of that music.

John Holcomb II said:
I think you are screwed. WKTK is in the way and unless someone else tries it (which I dont see happening any time soon) its probably not comeing back.
I dont get 94.9 out of tampa, but that sounds like it is going away from Mainstream AC. Hmm. maybe Shawn should post another topic on if AC's are becomeing not only more CHR friendly but perhaps simply just going more in a Hot AC direction as well.

Good thing airchecks exist.
94.9 is still AC, they're just evolving with the format.

gamefreak said:
The 90's is a little different. A variety of Hot AC's in the area play a limited 90's selection. WMTX comes in mind in the fact that it would occasionaly play a Counting Crows or Alanis Morrisette song.
WTMX plays few 90's songs, and now, even fewer 80's songs. I noticed more current songs & most songs being from the last 5 years. WTMX's sister station WILV is focused more on 80's & recently, more 90's music. They however haven't dropped the 70's or the 2000's songs completely. WILV seems to almost be considered to me, Gold Hot AC (if the term were to exist). WTMX & WILV's other sister station, WDRV/WWDV simulcast (known as the Drive) has played a 90's song here & there for their Classic Hits format. So for Hubbard Broadcasting (former Bonneville stations in Chicago), they're simply moving most 80's & 90's music over to sister stations. They however don't want to eliminate the 80's & 90's completely from WTMX, since it's the highest billing station in the cluster, with The Drive being the next highest biller. WILV always being the flanker. At least WILV isn't overlapping as much with WTMX, as it did when it was WNND. As WNND, they were 80's & 90's only for about 2 years with a poor playlist, in order to protect WTMX, & that intentional poor playlist was meant to not compete with sister station WTMX (the ratings showed it too).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom