• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Classic Rock/Album Oriented Rock being done away with as a format?

N

nativeatlanta

Since the late 1990s,I have notice a trend. Classic Rock which started as Album Oriented Rock is getting phase out in major markets by Corp Radio Station owners. Examples; 96Rock-Atlanta, KLOL-Houston, KZPS-Dallas,WSHE-Miami/Ft.Lauderdale,WDIZ-Orlando. KMET-Los Angeles(I known they flipped in 1987). The markets that still have a classic rock station,how are the ratings for those stations these days?

I started to wonder. Is classic rock a dying format on local/commercial radio these days? Will it be done away for good?

Please give me some feedback.

My opinion on KZPS is that it was done away with becuz it just got bad. I used to flip back and forth ALL THE TIME between KZPS and THE EAGLE. At the point, they were really good stations. However, something happened over at KZPS at one point...and it just changed for the worse. However, that is my opinion.

Off hand... I do not know what the ratings were for KZPS the last few years before it was dumped.

Here in the Chicago market we are fortunate to have WDRV (97.1 The Drive). They are as close to a classic AOR as you could probably get these days. They mix deep cuts with "classic hits", span from about '64 to the early Nineties, and play everything from Stevie Wonder to the Doors to Pink Floyd. They lean slightly soft (no AC/DC or Rush..usually...they do get spun on their 10@ 10 feature), but IMGHO they are the best radio station in Chicago. Their HD2 "Deep Tracks" station & stream is even better than the main signal.

It was that way in Cincinnati too. AOR was pretty much fazed out & the classic rock stations become AOR Top 40 meaning the same tracks over and over. I was so sick of it, I started my own FM to return AOR/Melodic Rock/Classic Rock to Cincinnati. We call ourselves ClassX and are kicking ass here. We are hoping to expand into other markets as a network. Some great music out there and the boomers deserve its return after 20 years of waiting. You can check us out at http://classxradio.com and let us know what you think.

88.9 Miracle said:
It was that way in Cincinnati too. AOR was pretty much fazed out & the classic rock stations become AOR Top 40 meaning the same tracks over and over. I was so sick of it, I started my own FM to return AOR/Melodic Rock/Classic Rock to Cincinnati. We call ourselves ClassX and are kicking ass here. We are hoping to expand into other markets as a network. Some great music out there and the boomers deserve its return after 20 years of waiting. You can check us out at http://classxradio.com and let us know what you think.

I would like to see a log of what songs ClassX has played in the last 24 Hours or your Top 100, or something like that. I understand the depth of ClassX's artist listing.... but what I am really interested in is a log of what album tracks are currently being aired on ClassX.

Do you have that linformation linked at the website??

Thanks

You can look and see what was played in the past hour. That's the extent of what we show online. We are constantly adding and probably will be for several years. There is so much music out there. Is is incredible. Our format is perfect for boomers who are absolutely sick of radio, and are the largest audience for radio out there. Our format is getting them to turn the radio back on, with a passion. It is cool to see.

88.9 Miracle said:
You can look and see what was played in the past hour. That's the extent of what we show online. We are constantly adding and probably will be for several years. There is so much music out there. Is is incredible. Our format is perfect for boomers who are absolutely sick of radio, and are the largest audience for radio out there. Our format is getting them to turn the radio back on, with a passion. It is cool to see.

I understand where you're coming from. You must realise that as a boomer, that I have been disapointed so many times with stations that were claiming to be different... but did not come through. Obviously, listeneing tells the tale. It's just that after so many disapointments, I am doubly cautious about even spening my time listening to a "new" station, without first seeing a list of what they have been playing. It's a good way to see where a station is coming from, by what they have been playing, verses, what they might or could play.....

So, in the case of ClassX, I suppose I will take some time and give it a listen.....

But, for skeptical boomers that have been burned so many times before.... a list of songs played is always helpful, as merely listing artists, can leave a lot of room for leeway, in just playing the same old hits that CR has steadily been running into the ground for their "special" audience . . . 8)

OK, I've listened for awhile, and I think ClassX deserves some serious listening time!

A Live cut from Chicago's Carniege Hall set. That's so not Classic Rock material ! ! !

I actually remember when, in the early 70's that you could hear tracks from that collection on FM Rock Radio.....

So I'll be listening to see if the deep tracks are often, occasional, or now and then.... :D ;D

http://classxradio.com/listenspeed.html

I agree with the OP. It seems to be a problem with the rock genre in general however, not just album oriented and classic. 10 years ago, I had over 10 stations to choose from in some kind of rock format. Today, including a classic rock station, that number is 2. It is very rare to hear anything other than the hits anymore.

A deeper question would be, where did the audience go? Sat, Ipod, or different genre? Or is the rock culture just cheap, broke, or anti-advertiser?

chevling said:
A deeper question would be, where did the audience go? Sat, Ipod, or different genre? Or is the rock culture just cheap, broke, or anti-advertiser?

They're still out there...in our market, not one can really stand out from the pack. We have 4 rock stations in differents variations. All four are in the top-15 rated stations. When you combine the 12+ shares of all the stations, we get a 14.1 share. That's alot of rockers...

On the other hand, we have TWO Country stations, both splitting up a combined 13 share.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom