• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Carrie Underwood a declining artist now?

Carrie doesn't win at award shows anymore, and newer female vocalists have surpassed her with their music,but she does do an amazing live concert. Should she seriously consider going traditional country or full-time rock artist? I think she would be a great traditional singer.

I'd say she has been in decline since her first album. It scored 7 platinum. Her second scored 3, her third 2, her latest only 1. I've never been a fan of Carrie's. I honestly wouldn't care if she went away entirely. She can take her Conway (aka Bray Paisley) with her. But if I had to say traditional or rock, I would say traditional.

To me Carrie and country have never belonged in the same sentence.

God bless you and those who are country always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

As the format's most-played female artist since 2006, and holder of too many country chart records to count, she's not going anywhere; her newest single 'See You Again', will debut in the mid-thirties on Bob Kingsley's 'CT 40' next weekend, so her clout at country radio is alive and well.

Marv-L.A. said:
As the format's most-played female artist since 2006, and holder of too many country chart records to count, she's not going anywhere; her newest single 'See You Again', will debut in the mid-thirties on Bob Kingsley's 'CT 40' next weekend, so her clout at country radio is alive and well.

How few copies do you have to sell to rank in the mid-thirties of a purely country chart?

Still hearing "Two Black Cadillacs" in power rotation on KMPS, so she is not declining that much yet...

-crainbebo

Mediabase is based on airplay, and mid-30s would put you at about 2500 spins on Mediabase's country panel during the week. This, compared to the 15000+ for a top 10 single.

The new hit "See You Again" is at #35 on the Mediabase county chart today with 1165 spins for the period of Apr 14-20th.

I don't think a #1 song on their country chart has ever reached 15K spins.

According to USA Today's publication of MediaBase's numbers, #1 "I Drive Your Truck" got 21668 spins for the currently published chart.

This is one of those discussions about where do you go once you've reached the top. Consider George Strait. He won Entertainer of the Year in 1990. He hasn't won it since. His biggest selling records were in the 90s. He played stadiums for a few years, but hasn't for ten years. So is George Strait a declining artist? He might say he is, and that's why he won't be touring any more after next year. But he still has his fans, and he still gets a lot of radio airplay. I think that's going to be the case for Carrie. Regardless of whether or not she wins another award, she has her fan base. She just celebrated a #1, and every single from her latest album has gone #1. This new one will probably end up in the same place after about 12-14 weeks. But unlike some females, she writes and produces all her songs, so they reflect HER taste in music. I don't expect her to change what she does just because she hasn't won an award in a while.

George Strait is 62. Carrie Underwood is 30. Most of the metropolitan country listeners want to hear the younger guys. Florida Georgia Line's members seem like they are in their 20s or 30s.

-crainbebo

PTBoardOp94 said:
According to USA Today's publication of MediaBase's numbers, #1 "I Drive Your Truck" got 21668 spins for the currently published chart.

I see what you mean, but it's odd that the #1 Country song shows 21,688 spins but the #1 Top 40 song has 15,995. The listing on allaccess.com is the one that I was originally referring to with the lesser number.

Whenever I hear the is it country or is it rock arguments I reflect on that country at the birth of what we of the WWII Korean War generation call Rock is where most of it started. Elvis, Conway, Jerry Lee, Wanda Jackson, Sonny James, and on and on. There is a constellation of lesser know rock-a-billy stars such as Warren Smith and Billy Lee Riley. Some might even put Buddy Holly in there and of course Waylon and Hank Jr.

Once rock turned the corner past Metal and got steamrolled by Hip Hop and Rap, many rock fans of my generation got frustrated and gravitated to country. At the same time many aging rockers saw the opportunity to gain audience by releasing country tinged recordings.

As a kid back in 1950s and 1960s Southwestern Ohio I was in the footprint of WSM's powerful nighttime signal and sure as there is snow in January my Dad and Mom had their radio tuned to 650Am on Saturday nights. The locally produced "Midwestern Hayride" was timed to not completely overlap the Opry. But as a kid I was not that fond of some of the "Hillbilly" stars like Roy Acuff and his like. I tolerated Red Foley, Ernest Tubb and others. But Sonny James, Bobby Lord got my attention. L was a fan of Patsy Cline but not so much Kitty Wells.

My point being that Country evolves and now the circle that is Country has come back around. In the end I take them one at a time and some I like such as Brad Paisley and Kellie Pickler. Others not so much like Taylor Swift. I am solid with George Strait and Toby Keith. But over time I've embraced and now collect some of the oldies and I now own some Kitty Wells and Jean Shepard David Houston and Hawkshaw Hawkins to name a few.

I am also building a library of Rock-Billy and R & B forgotten performers like Wynonie Harris. But at the same time I will listen to new stuff and accept and reject based upon merit,of course by my ears judgement. SO it is all subjective and the problem is the bean counters and statisticians trying to force feed a common and limited one size fits all format on stations across the nation. Live and local has more to offer than tracked and flown on the bird. There is no regional flavor like there used to be.

nmoore6676 said:
Live and local has more to offer than tracked and flown on the bird. There is no regional flavor like there used to be.

Blame mass communication and cheap air fares. We used to be an isolated country. Not any more.

We can only hope. I don't know who was responsible for the mess I heard one night but it sounded like something she might do. Coming right after the great Toby Keith song "I Love This Bar".

She doesn't really sound country but she is way better than Miranda Lambert who has only been winning awards because the whole Blake/Miranda lovefest.

^^^ I wouldn't say that is the reason why she has been winning lately. I believe that she gets her awards because she has delivered well enough musically to really deserve them. I don't think that her personal life has anything to do with her triumphs.

God bless you and Miranda always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. I believe that she was getting awards even before she and Blake became an official item...like her first ever win for ACM Album Of The Year in 2008.

JohnnyDollarBankAccount said:
She doesn't really sound country but she is way better than Miranda Lambert who has only been winning awards because the whole Blake/Miranda lovefest.
Miranda actually shows she has talent when trying to sound country and not pop and writes or co-writes a lot of her own songs, and tries to sound country. "Gunpowder and Lead" and "Kerosene" being exceptions to the rule.

Now Carrie CAN do country and probably would be quite talented if she did it, but she chooses not to.

vchimpanzee said:
We can only hope. I don't know who was responsible for the mess I heard one night but it sounded like something she might do. Coming right after the great Toby Keith song "I Love This Bar".
I'm going to guess this was the song. Once again, I heard a celebrity tell us what show was on as opposed to a DJ telling us what we were hearing. The words "bye bye" kept coming uip and "the preacher said he was a good man". Absolute garbage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom