• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Internet Radio as a substitute for XM or Sirius

This post is from the point of view of a listener with no ties to the radio business.

For about 3 years I have grappled with getting satellite radio. Since I am a subscriber to AOL I have access to all the XM radio channels. Everytime I am on the verge of buying an XM radio and subscription I change my mind in favor of Internet radio.

My rationale:

I have 20 or so favorite streams that include broadcast stations in other markets, XM music stations, internet only stations. My only limitation is that I must listen from my bedroom where I have my computer. I am not interested in the XM talk or sports stations. By getting XM I gain portability but would cost me about $100 for a radio plus $13/month for the subscription. Likely the sound quality is better with the XM radio.

Does anyone see my point of view or am I really missing something by not subscribing to XM?

Thanks

Bruce

> This post is from the point of view of a listener with no
> ties to the radio business.
>
> For about 3 years I have grappled with getting satellite
> radio. Since I am a subscriber to AOL I have access to all
> the XM radio channels. Everytime I am on the verge of
> buying an XM radio and subscription I change my mind in
> favor of Internet radio.
>
> My rationale:
>
> I have 20 or so favorite streams that include broadcast
> stations in other markets, XM music stations, internet only
> stations. My only limitation is that I must listen from my
> bedroom where I have my computer. I am not interested in
> the XM talk or sports stations. By getting XM I gain
> portability but would cost me about $100 for a radio plus
> $13/month for the subscription. Likely the sound quality is
> better with the XM radio.
>
> Does anyone see my point of view or am I really missing
> something by not subscribing to XM?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bruce
>

You are missing something. One reason, the warm weather is here (depending where you live) and I don't think you'll want to spend indoors listening to your computer all the time.
The My Fi is almost taking a lap top with you with the stocks and scores and weather etc.
The AOL or internet is fine if you work at home or a rainy day, but you'll feel free that you have music and sports all around you without being a prisoner to your computer inside your house. I take it on my bike, car and on foot.

If wireless broadband becomes more ubiquitous and cheaper, then Internet radio may really be a viable alternative to satellite radio; what would really help it to stick is if someone came out with a "Walkman" for Internet radio that was cheap (i.e., about the cost of an MP3 player).<P ID="signature">______________
chargeradioweb.jpg
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom