• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Internet only High School radio start-up

I'm involved in the planning for a high school internet-only radio station. It's being planned along with the re-building of a TV production center. I have so far suggested an audio console, and equipment for live broadcast, live assist and for full automation, as needed. Since one of the goals will likely be to train students for careers, what is best for them to learn voice-tracking? Since many on-air jobs are in the news/talk and sports categories, I suggested a radio studio with multiple microphones for live and pre-recorded interviews, and the acquisition of AP news print service.
One thing I haven't gotten into is how to connect to/set up the internet feed. What's the best audio console? I've worked with Radio Systems and Wheatstone. Both have been good. Ideas and opinions welcome.

I think you're on the right track as far as consoles is conerned :). If you're thinking of training students, I'd most certainly train for sports broadcasting because there are at least some jobs for them out there still. I'd make sure you had a nice remote system like the Tieline G3 or Comrex system with the 3G-enabled (IP-based) equipment so they could deal with real-world challenges of cell systems, pots systems, and internet (hard-wired). Today's talent is more and more being called apon to have some technical skills to do remote broadcasts. I'd also make darn sure that you have Adobe or at least Audacity set up in a small edit booth to train them how to edit audio. That's something that's an almost must these days to get a broadcasting job in the talent side of life. If I were picking an automation system to train for, I'd pick Nexgen. More stations are using it than pretty much any other. Plus, it's a good system. I'd teach them how to use the digital reel-to-reel and how to set up contact closures in the automation system so it can run sat shows, etc. Again, if you arm them with some tech skills and they prove this to their new potental bosses, they win. Also, I'd go ahead and buy selector for your station and train people on how to run that. If they want to play in broadcasting, folks that can schedule the music might be kept when the best jock in the world is let go due to cuts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom