• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

In a future filled with electric cars, AM radio may be left behind (off-topic)

It may be off topic, but this discussion of turntables and the variability of vinyl record quality is interesting!

Which reminds me of this: Back in late 2020, I bought on eBay a box of ~200 45s that were allegedly from a defunct Top 40 station someplace back east, and the quality is variable.

Some are in pretty bad shape with lots of noise (the popular ones, I'm surmising), but then there are some that look like they'd sound bad, but they actually sound quite good (better than I can find on Youtube or Amazon Music).

Maybe those were backup copies that never got played?

c

RCA Victor (except for Red Seal releases) also had problems with using "reprocessed" vinyl in their LP's.
That along with the shall we say "less than loved" Dynaflex albums gave them quite a few problems during the 70's.

It may be off topic, but this discussion of turntables and the variability of vinyl record quality is interesting!

Which reminds me of this: Back in late 2020, I bought on eBay a box of ~200 45s that were allegedly from a defunct Top 40 station someplace back east, and the quality is variable.

Some are in pretty bad shape with lots of noise (the popular ones, I'm surmising), but then there are some that look like they'd sound bad, but they actually sound quite good (better than I can find on Youtube or Amazon Music).

c
Could be. Generally, when I was programming, we'd ask for five duplicates when we added a record to the current playlist. It was a rare case (usually a 45 pressed on styrene instead of vinyl) where we'd use all five. Typically, it was more like two for the chart run, a fresh copy into the Gold library, with two backups in case of loss or breakage.

RCA Victor (except for Red Seal releases) also had problems with using "reprocessed" vinyl in their LP's.
That along with the shall we say "less than loved" Dynaflex albums gave them quite a few problems during the 70's.
Man, Dynaflex---one step better than those records on a tear sheet inside a magazine.

c
Maybe they transferred them to carts and only played them a few times.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom