• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IHeartMedia Sacramento Brings AC To 92.5 The Breeze

As David explained, it's all psychoacoustics -- giving the listener the impression that the music is higher-energy that it is on the station up the dial. It worked well. I remember how much more exciting the 1967 hits sounded on WRKO than they did on WBZ when I was a 12-year-old listening in suburban Boston, and I was hooked on 'RKO from the minute it flipped to Top 40, even though I'd been a devoted WBZ fan (over WMEX) for a couple of years before then.

Which is exactly what I stated above, we did it in the 90's to make us sound brighter than KYMX and K108 (before). It was never about saving time. It was a setting on the Dennon CD Players. In fact, we had to play the Casey's AC Top 30 in '93 in the production room on Sundays. so that we didn't speed up the pre-loaded commericals on the pre-recorded countdown show on CD. We didn't take that kind of Care in 1995 with Leeza Gibbons...lol

Anyway, it would surprise me if they did it now since the station is truly a Soft AC now.

Which is exactly what I stated above, we did it in the 90's to make us sound brighter than KYMX and K108 (before). It was never about saving time. It was a setting on the Dennon CD Players. In fact, we had to play the Casey's AC Top 30 in '93 in the production room on Sundays. so that we didn't speed up the pre-loaded commericals on the pre-recorded countdown show on CD. We didn't take that kind of Care in 1995 with Leeza Gibbons...lol

Anyway, it would surprise me if they did it now since the station is truly a Soft AC now.

The down side, for me, was being disappointed in how "flat" the singles would sound. Pitching up really did improve -- to my young ears -- the excitement level of many of the Motown hits I would wind up buying after hearing them on the radio. Not that playing the 45s at actual 45 rpm speed turned "I Was Made to Love Her" or "Bernadette" into ballads, but they just didn't seem to have the same energy.

The down side, for me, was being disappointed in how "flat" the singles would sound. Pitching up really did improve -- to my young ears -

And you know who noticed that? The artists. They listened to their music being played on the radio, heard what they sounded like straight and pitched, and went back to the studio and started affecting the sound of their voice. That's what led to all the technologies being used for current records.

Michael,

I joined Y92.5 within a week or two of you leaving, I remember it well. :) I imagine we know A LOT of the same people.

Opinions are like... well, you know. I'm just stating that what "worked in the 90's" might not work like it did in 2018. With the number of places to discover music these days, I don't see why anyone would pitch up music these days. I had my wife (who is NOT a radio person) listen and she literally asked, why does it sound a little wierd.

I think we're all a bunch of "old time radio people" with a skewed view/perception of what listeners think. But, what do I know, I'm not in the business anymore for good reason. :)

Michael,

I joined Y92.5 within a week or two of you leaving, I remember it well. :) I imagine we know A LOT of the same people.

Opinions are like... well, you know. I'm just stating that what "worked in the 90's" might not work like it did in 2018. With the number of places to discover music these days, I don't see why anyone would pitch up music these days. I had my wife (who is NOT a radio person) listen and she literally asked, why does it sound a little wierd.

I think we're all a bunch of "old time radio people" with a skewed view/perception of what listeners think. But, what do I know, I'm not in the business anymore for good reason. :)

I just pitched up my Internet radio station by 2% to see if anyone notices. :)

So far today I noticed all the songs running at a consistent 2%-plus. All fine and good if that is the station’s intention; to sound bright. It was just weird hearing songs at normal, 2%-plus or 3% at random. Kinda like a jock suffering boardum fiddling with the pitch control to see if anyone noticed the pitch changes. I was just presuming someone was loading music not paying attention to the pitch setting on the deck used for building the library.
BTW - Starship - “Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now” is dubbed in mono. The drums in the beginning have killer separation. Sorry couldn’t help myself there! 😉
Anyway - to the staffers at iHeart - I know it’s a work in progress. Keep up the good work!

Hi! Would you be to tell me when you heard Lady Gaga?? Was it on stream or terrestrial? We do play the other tracks you mentioned, but no Gaga..

Sorry, was driving when it played. Couldn’t write down the time and day it aired. Now it may have been an artist sounding ‘similar’ to Gaga. It just seemed rather out of place for the intended format positioning. I have only monitored KBEB via terrestrial broadcast.

Hi! Would you be to tell me when you heard Lady Gaga?? Was it on stream or terrestrial? We do play the other tracks you mentioned, but no Gaga..

Just checking out the station the past couple of days (12-21/12/22). All the music is running at a perfect 0% pitch. Sounds fantastic. Kudos!

92.5 audio sounds great to me. I like the station and presentation, farily upbeat and bright for a Soft AC, and jocks sound polished and local for SF VT'd. My only gripe is the tight playlist. I'd like to see them expand on some of the heritage AC artists. I'd drop Free Fallin' and Hotel California. My guess is their 400-500? song rotation is heavily researched and closely mimics their KISQ counterpart.

92.5 audio sounds great to me. I like the station and presentation, farily upbeat and bright for a Soft AC, and jocks sound polished and local for SF VT'd. My only gripe is the tight playlist. I'd like to see them expand on some of the heritage AC artists. I'd drop Free Fallin' and Hotel California. My guess is their 400-500? song rotation is heavily researched and closely mimics their KISQ counterpart.

I agree about the station sounding great. I do notice, however that some of the audio sounds a little hot as I notice some distortion. I don’t hear that on the other stations in the local cluster.

Sorry, was driving when it played. Couldn’t write down the time and day it aired. Now it may have been an artist sounding ‘similar’ to Gaga. It just seemed rather out of place for the intended format positioning. I have only monitored KBEB via terrestrial broadcast.

all good - thank you! Was worried it might have pulled a weird fill song or something. Its nice to get feedback from folks who notice the details!

JammerDave,

One song that I have noticed a great deal of distortion or data reduction on steroids is Dire Straits - “Walk of Life”. Note how the processing seems to have no idea how to handle the keyboard effects. It especially gets obnoxious as the song fully builds. Listen about :45 seconds to a minute in while it is actually playing on the air as opposed to just running off-air in a production room. It may not be as apparent playing out of the air chain. Hope the tip helps - Happy New Year!

I have heard the hot/distortion sound also, but rarely. Trying to put my finger on the issue. Let me know a song name if you can. Jusst email me if you like, [email protected] . Thanks!

I was wrong. In earlier posts, I mentioned the pitch of 92.5 being +1-2% above normal. I listened over the air and it is not pitched up. My previous claim was for the Internet stream which I assumed was the same. For whatever reason (and it's probably a sample rate issue) it sounds pitched up in my home studio.

JammerDave,

One song that I have noticed a great deal of distortion or data reduction on steroids is Dire Straits - “Walk of Life”. Note how the processing seems to have no idea how to handle the keyboard effects. It especially gets obnoxious as the song fully builds. Listen about :45 seconds to a minute in while it is actually playing on the air as opposed to just running off-air in a production room. It may not be as apparent playing out of the air chain. Hope the tip helps - Happy New Year!

Is it possible the song is out of phase?

The only realistic description is digital splatter. A raspy effect. As if someone selected a samplerate too low to deal with music when it was dubbed to the library.

Totally know what you're explaining.
Probably a bad encode or original rip.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom