• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iHeart and me

Truth be told: I was not an admirer of iHeart, especially after what transpired here in Boston after CBS exited the radio business.

However, I'd be lying if I said I'm avoiding them like the plague; I cannot, for the stations to which I listen on a daily basis, are now all iHeart properties, and are on the iHeart Radio app; to wit, WBZ-AM, WRKO, The Smooth Jazz Network, Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel.

"If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

Someone on FB wondered how iHR could afford to buy WBZ etc. I pointed out they didn't buy these stations, they swapped for them.This came about because of the market caps for ownership and market share.Stations were sent to iHeart, and to Beasley to keep Entercom within limits. That being said, iHR got some popular stations.

Due to the swap, Jeff Katz is working for Entercom again I believe...I think Ent. owned RKO when he was there.Now iHR sent WRVA Richmond to Entercom. (All Access 2009:
"Veteran talker JEFF KATZ is celebrating his birthday TODAY by filling in for HOWIE CARR at ENTERCOM Talk WRKO-A/BOSTON, where KATZ once held down mornings")

Tai criticized iHR on FB.Three stations where he used to work are now iHeart: WBWL had been WFNX under diff ownership, then there's RKO and ZLX.(Think he was at ZLX...)

Why all the animosity towards iHeart? Let me ask you, what makes Entercom or Beasley any different from iHeart? They are all corporate radio giants and to be honest the most known out of the three is iHeart! What gives?

True they are all corporate media giants and not the only one to go bankrupt.They overreached and got into huge debt..the bankruptcy will take care of much of that.Going back to its days as Clear Channel they got a reputation of job cutting and cheapness.

They are the national McRadio that comes into town to give national cookie cutter websites to beloved longtime local stations like WBZ and WRKO.They did cut the WBZ program director but so far no real other cuts there.We'll see.Frequent ads for their app, music awards...features like This Day in Rock History airing on talk stations (those are kinda fun)...an umbrella approach to market their brand and make money.They do make money though the debt is huge.

Did their Premiere syndication help to save AM with mostly conservative shows like Rush?
Yeah we can nitpick about stuff like 2-day old newscasts on 1200..They are current on 1030 though.Their HD offerings are often simulcasts of AM rather than unique formats like what CBS did with blues on Radio Mojo.

Mixed bag...some good stuff but the cheap reputation, lack of local flavor on websites, etc and the spots about their app..but they gotta make money.
I saw one complaint from a WRKO listener disappointed that they went away on TuneIn to exclusively iHeart...because (like me) she had the pro version of TuneIn where you can record and iHeart app doesn't (unless they have a paid version where you can?)

They are the national McRadio that comes into town to give national cookie cutter websites to beloved longtime local stations like WBZ and WRKO.

Isn't that what NBC did in 1928? National network programming from New York on radio stations coast to coast? Fibber McGee & Molly wasn't a local Boston show. Then after that you had some mega chains like RKO with their approach to certain formats in markets like LA and Boston. national PDs like Bill Drake. Then you had mega consultants like Burkhart-Abrams guiding stations like WBCN on what to play, how the DJs should sound, and that kind of thing. The WBCN style of AOR was being done in every city in the 80s. CBS used Mike Joseph's Hot Hits format in lots of places including Boston. NPR has its national programming right now on WGBH and WBUR. Tell me what's different? If you're fair about it, radio has a long history of cost cutting, national programming, and doing stuff on the cheap.

The web sites? Do you think the CBSLocal website was unique to Boston? It was a forced template that CBS required all of its stations to use. Original URLs were routed to the main corporate site. Now that CBS is owned by Entercom, they're doing the same thing with Radio.com. There are all kinds of tricks to fill local web sites with national content, regardless of who owns the station.

The problem is that someone has to own these radio stations. So look at individual station owners in the Boston area. The ones who are buying the AM stations around town. Are they doing a better job than the big corporate guys? Are they programming on the cheap? You tell me. I'm just suggesting a little fairness here.

All I want to know is who wins the text contests? I’ve texted to 200-200 plenty and never won, but I’ve never heard of a local or national winner either.

Why all the animosity towards iHeart? Let me ask you, what makes Entercom or Beasley any different from iHeart? They are all corporate radio giants and to be honest the most known out of the three is iHeart! What gives?

Beasley has very strong financials, and although they have a reputation for being frugal, they have not cheapened their product in order to stave off bankruptcy.

Entercom... they were a sinking ship for a while, they got a de-listing letter, a single share if their stock was worth less than a copy of the Herald on any given day. Was there cost cutting and job losses? You bet! But they managed to bail out the boat and they seem to be in pretty good shape now.

I get it radio is a business, and although we as listeners might not like the programming decisions made in order to be profitable, it is part of life.

Now we get to Clear Channel and their subsequent radio entities....

At the absolute top of the frenzy where radio stations licenses were considered a license to print money, Bain Partners and Lee Capital ( IIRC) decided to get into the radio game and signed a P&S to buy what was then C.C.

After the P&S was signed, and before the deal closed, radio stations started tanking in value, and the deal almost didn't go through, it was actually delayed, because the new owners realized they would be upside down from the start, and all of it was financed by notes with huge interest rates.

Then the Economy crashed... they had enough money to run the boat, but not enough to pay the bond holders.

This issue goes back almost a decade, and they got people to double down by offering even higher payments in they would extend the life of the debt in hopes things would turn around.

In the midst of all this were the frequent and predictable cuts to front line staff, talent, producers, etc.... every September the axe would swing and more people would be shown the door, oh by the way we will empty your desk for you and send you your personal property.

Sometimes the cuts were done at random times as revenue did not meet expectations and things needed to be balanced out.

Things did not get any better, cut after cut, more and more local talent and support staff were sent to the beach, more cookie cutter programming ( Seacrest, et al) sent to the stations to run instead of local talent.

So that is my gripe with CC, CCM&e, IHrt, etc. They went into a deal that was never going to work, they kept swinging the axe and ruining the product, they cooked the books in order to stay above water, and after 12 years the inevitable has happened, they have no more tricks up their sleeve, and the wolf is at the door.

No other radio entity, even CBS and Cumulus... I'll even toss in Nassau and Greater Media, inflicted the damage to the "little guy" who slaved away at the Mic, or close to it the way IHrt did. I will admit Nassau and Greater Media did swing the axes fast and furiously at the end of their existences.

I don't think there is anyone who is going to read this, that does not know at least one person who was sent to the beach by IHrt in a cost cutting move.

That is my gripe with IHrt, the bean counters ran the place into the ground and inflicted a lot of pain on good people in the process.

In the midst of all this were the frequent and predictable cuts to front line staff, talent, producers, etc.... every September the axe would swing and more people would be shown the door, oh by the way we will empty your desk for you and send you your personal property.

However, the ax never hit the prime stations like KIIS or WHTZ, the big revenue generators. They never cut the salaries of their top talent. They never cut the staff of people like Elvis Duran. They knew who was bringing in the money and who wasn't. Even in smaller markets like Chattanooga with a heritage station that got 10 shares. There are a lot of local talent that still have jobs, still get big contracts, and have avoided the national syndication because they deliver. You take a look at their New York and Los Angeles clusters, and they are among the most listened-to stations in the country. They're beating Entercom and other owners.

Talk1200 is becoming RKO on the weekends...holy bleep, paid programming for financial shows.

What were they running before?

When Premiere was running on 1430 AM, Beck and Rush had "week in review" shows between noon and 3:00 PM (albeit I've never listened to Beck, only to Rush), but I don't know what else either 1430 AM or 1200 AM ran at other hours during weekends. Can you fill me in?

It really should come as no surprise, though, since even WBZ runs some paid financial programs on weekends.

It was either Al Herskowitz or Holland Cooke who had an interesting article a few months back on talkers.com re talk stations who cede their weekend air time to lawyers and financial planners, and how this was not necessarily in the best interests of these stations. Naturally, I agreed with the premise of the article.

It was either Al Herskowitz or Holland Cooke who had an interesting article a few months back on talkers.com re talk stations who cede their weekend air time to lawyers and financial planners, and how this was not necessarily in the best interests of these stations. Naturally, I agreed with the premise of the article.

Then again, how else do you expect a station that gets no ratings to make money? I'd suspect the paid wknd shows cover the costs of the weekdays.

I believe the paid programming only runs on wknd mornings.

Then again, how else do you expect a station that gets no ratings to make money?

From your previous posts, I have the impression you are an industry insider (which I'm not), so I'll grant that you know with more certainty than do I that 1200 AM's ratings are abysmally low. (I don't disbelieve you, BTW.)

Then how is it that iHeart can claim to advertisers that they "clear" Glenn and Rush and Sean in Boston on a station to which practically no one is listening? Don't advertisers get to see the ratings of the stations to which they are willing to give their money?

Don't advertisers get to see the ratings of the stations to which they are willing to give their money?

Yes advertisers see the ratings. So can you. Here's a link to the public ratings for all listeners 6+:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb013

As you can see, WXKS-AM (Talk1200) gets less than one share. That's not very good. Ad agencies don't typically buy ads on conservative talk stations because invariably someone says something that angers one group or another, and that's bad for business. So these shows make their money from advertisers who want to target the kinds of people who listen to these kinds of programs. Which is why they end up running infomercials on the weekends.

Yes advertisers see the ratings. So can you. Here's a link to the public ratings for all listeners 6+:

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb013

As you can see, WXKS-AM (Talk1200) gets less than one share. That's not very good. Ad agencies don't typically buy ads on conservative talk stations because invariably someone says something that angers one group or another, and that's bad for business. So these shows make their money from advertisers who want to target the kinds of people who listen to these kinds of programs. Which is why they end up running infomercials on the weekends.

Yes, I've seen the 6+ ratings, but many, if not most, posters on these boards disparage them as being next to useless, since they are not broken down into the various demographics. And it has also been said that conservative talk radio is "toxic" to advertisers. So, in effect, you are saying that the advertisers who do buy time on conservative talk radio know that their potential audience is small and of a certain demographic (typically, aging white male conservatives), and this is more or less sufficient to keep the programs - and the stations - running at least on weekdays. And the legal/financial infomercials on weekends cover the rest of the bills.

As far as iHeart-Boston: I do prefer they focus their energy on WBZ and WRKO to keep their former on top and to improve the latter, which they seem to be doing. Too bad there are probably no takers, but might it not be a good thing if iHeart were to spin off 1200 AM?

Too bad there are probably no takers, but might it not be a good thing if iHeart were to spin off 1200 AM?

To whom? Right now they're looking for a buyer for Talk 1430. You see how many people are rushing to buy that one.

For now, those who want Rush, Hannity and Beck can hear him on a good signal. In exchange, they have to put up with infomercials on weekend mornings. That seems to be a fair exchange, no? If that's objectionable, switch to BZ for a few hours.

They haven't even sold 1430 yet, yes...so what if they do? Rush and Sean on 680, Howie and Kuhner on 1030...or all talk on one station, syndie and local, news and some talk on the other?

WRKO has to have some value to have talk all these years.As for iHR, formerly Clear Channel, having Rush on close to 600 stations generated enough revenue to justify him getting paid $50 million per year for 8 years (less now, of course).That's not bad for older conservative talk radio.Political talk radio of all stripes has been taking a slight beating though in some areas, especially on the left.Hearing Saga may change 3 of its stations to Pure Oldies and I wonder if its progressive talkers in Brattleboro and W. Mass are among them.

There was "toxic talk" argued about but Rush only lost a handful of stations (Rutland, Pittsfield--and that Barre VT station that went CHR to justify an FM translator running it).

However, the ax never hit the prime stations like KIIS or WHTZ, the big revenue generators. They never cut the salaries of their top talent.

Some "top talent" took pay cuts.....and some saw no increase in their new/next contracts. KOST lost 1/2 of their morning show and went to 5-1/2(?) hour shifts.

I doubt that Valerie Smaldone would agree.

LOL! Not only Valerie Smaldone, I think WLTW basically ended replacing their whole staff, replacing them with cheaper talent, and added their own syndication product, Delilah.

ANd WLTW is one of the top revenue generators for the company.

I think WLTW basically ended replacing their whole staff, replacing them with cheaper talent, and added their own syndication product, Delilah. ANd WLTW is one of the top revenue generators for the company.

And how did those personnel changes affect the ratings and revenue of the station?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom