• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

If There's a Game Seven

Maybe, and maybe not.

Also, such a simulcast may extend to any potential championship-clinching games, not just a possible Game 7.

Maybe:

It would give fans in outlying areas a chance to listen to the game on radio.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Dial Global is doing a national radio broadcast of the Finals, and if that's the case, their deal with the NHL may force regular Boston Bruins' radio affiliates outside of Boston to carry the Dial Global broadcast instead of the local WBZ-98.5 broadcast (I know that's the case with Dial Global's broadcast of the NFL Super Bowl).

Such a scenario would favor a simulcast since WBZ-1030, being in Boston, would be the only other station that could carry the local broadcast, and the only way fans in other parts of New England would be able to hear Dave Goucher and Bob Beers' call of a potential championship-clinching victory.

Maybe Not:

In the 2010/2011 season, the Bruins' radio network had only two or three affiliates outside of Boston. I believe now, there are about 25 stations in other parts of New England that carry the games. The big WBZ-AM signal might not be "as needed" as much as it was two years ago, especially if these outlying stations are able to carry the local Boston broadcast.

One other problem is this: Should CBS Radio Boston decide to simulcast Saturday's (June 22nd) Game 5 on WBZ-AM (if the team wins Game 4 tomorrow, June 19th), it would displace several hours of paid programming WBZ-AM has on Saturday nights (Other than the "CBS Weekend Roundup", the hours between 6 and Midnight on Saturdays are filled with paid programming; in fact, I think even Kim Kommando is a paid program).

My view: There is, in my opinion, a 50-50 chance that WBZ-AM will simulcast any potential Bruins' Stanley Cup-clinching games.

There is no over-the-air USA national broadcast of the Stanley Cup Finals (by Dial Global or any other national radio network).
Westwood One (as known at that time) had NHL Radio from the 1992-93 season to the 2007-08 season.

There are broadcasts available via SiriusXM satellite radio. I believe they're the local feeds of the two teams involved with choice of "home" or "road" feeds on separate channels. See SiriusXM NHL play-by-play page linked below:
http://www.siriusxm.com/nhlschedule

These channels are in addition to the NHL Network channel on XM Channel 92/Sirius Channel 207 which will also carry the games:
http://www.siriusxm.com/siriusxmnhlnetworkradio/weeklyschedule

pjc1961 said:
There is no over-the-air USA national broadcast of the Stanley Cup Finals (by Dial Global or any other national radio network).
Westwood One (as known at that time) had NHL Radio from the 1992-93 season to the 2007-08 season.

There are broadcasts available via SiriusXM satellite radio. I believe they're the local feeds of the two teams involved with choice of "home" or "road" feeds on separate channels. See SiriusXM NHL play-by-play page linked below:
http://www.siriusxm.com/nhlschedule

These channels are in addition to the NHL Network channel on XM Channel 92/Sirius Channel 207 which will also carry the games:
http://www.siriusxm.com/siriusxmnhlnetworkradio/weeklyschedule

Fortunately, the NHL doesn't prohibit their flagships from streaming hockey games. The games have been available online via WGN Chicago, so I'd think WBZ-FM would stream them as well.

B's games are streamed.

A couple years ago when I didn't have a good smartphone, it was nice to have 1030 airing the game. (I was living in D.C. at the time.)

Now it doesn't matter, I'm back up here but even if I weren't, I could stream through the app.

I have XM plus pay a few bucks extra for web streaming (all in all it comes to about 50 cents a day). My smartphone has the XM/Sirius app. A few weeks back I was able to hear the Chi-LA games
on it while at work; I think they were doing the "home team broadcasts" in that respect because it was the Blackhawks On WGN. Nice and clear.

Wonder if Howie will be giving away tix to tomorrow's game 7 in Chicago*--you'll have to provide your own transportation, though. Kidding. Game 6's result means the boys of winter-spring-summer are
done for the year and there's no "if" about it.

*--in the past WRKO/WEEI would get playoff tickets for giveaways. If the Sox or C's fail to make the playoffs, or lose in a certain round, they would still get there tickets for the "next round" printed up "just in case" and Howie would give away these priceless mementos on the air.

raccoonradio said:
I have XM plus pay a few bucks extra for web streaming (all in all it comes to about 50 cents a day). My smartphone has the XM/Sirius app. A few weeks back I was able to hear the Chi-LA games
on it while at work; I think they were doing the "home team broadcasts" in that respect because it was the Blackhawks On WGN. Nice and clear.

On the XM radio's they only carry one feed (usually home feed), on the internet they carry both H & A feeds

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom