• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IF the Whalers come back to Hartford, who would get the broadcast rights

Let me begin by saying I don't believe under any circumstances that the NHL comes back to Hartford. However there is early discussion about a huge renovation of the XL Center in the hopes of bringing back a team. So in the hypothetical scenario that Hartford does win a franchise what network would get the rights. Would a current RSN want the rights, YES, SNY, CSNNE? Or would we see a knew regional sports network just for one team. Again I don't believe this would ever happen but it did get me thinking.

Whoever got the rights would have to set up a "spillover" channel for nights when the NHL team's games conflict with the network's premier attraction, be it UConn basketball, Bruins, Celtics, Knicks, Rangers, whatever. NESN already has one: NESN+, which often is activated in April and May when the Bruins and Red Sox have games on the same night. (It also carries who-cares college hoops and football when the main channel is carrying college hoops and football that maybe a hundred people care about. Such is the state of interest in college sports in most of New England.) But you're right. The NHL won't come back to Hartford no matter how much lipstick the state tries to put on the XL Center pig.

Whoever got the rights would have to set up a "spillover" channel for nights when the NHL team's games conflict with the network's premier attraction, be it UConn basketball, Bruins, Celtics, Knicks, Rangers, whatever. NESN already has one: NESN+, which often is activated in April and May when the Bruins and Red Sox have games on the same night. (It also carries who-cares college hoops and football when the main channel is carrying college hoops and football that maybe a hundred people care about. Such is the state of interest in college sports in most of New England.) But you're right. The NHL won't come back to Hartford no matter how much lipstick the state tries to put on the XL Center pig.

I would rule out NESN as I doubt they want to compete with the Bruins, and I would imagine it's in their contract not to compete. Doesn't the team own 30% of the network anyways.
Yes has the Nets, SNY is already the UCONN network so they might be the obvious choice. What other major sport do they have in the winter?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom