• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

if 1210 would ever flip the only option is...

It literally lasted a year?

As I said in my post, this was the last year the station existed before NBC sold all their stations and left the radio business. That tells you how they felt about it.

These "time machine" tributes are the kinds of things hobbyists do for online radio stations. I don't see Entercom giving up on talk radio for anything like this.

[You think replaying 50 year old radio is fresh air? Really? You must have loved Fibber McGee & Molley too.]

You think radio is alive and well today?

Maybe you like eating plain pizza day after day as well.

You think radio is alive and well today?

Yes, radio is alive and well. It is just not a growth industry, and has not been for a decade or more.

There are lots of statistics that prove my statement, but they have been posted here over and over.

And the bulk of the larger radio companies are becoming platform independent, with brand extensions into all areas of digital distribution, including streaming and podcasts.

That's not really what they did. They were a hodge-podge of formats with Imus doing AC in the mornings, oldies in mid-days, live sports in the evenings, and back to oldies overnight. NBC had given up on radio by this time. This was the last gasp failure of a format before the station was sold in 1988 and became WFAN. That was a huge success. But New Yorkers who wanted oldies had WCBS-FM.

And at that time, a large part of the audience that wanted '50s-'60s oldies was still under 55. That's not the case today. If everyone there lost their minds and WPHT did flip to a "time machine" format, it would have to play '80s and '90s hits -- which no one in the target demo had ever listened to on AM.

it would have to play '80s and '90s hits -- which no one in the target demo had ever listened to on AM.

And those songs are already being played on other stations in full fidelity stereo, just as they were in 1988, which is why the time machine was such a failure at WNBC.

why are we even having this discussion?

Because 101.1 already flipped to Christmas and there's not nearly as much to say about The Breeze as we were apparently hoping. It's boring again. And since Julius didn't bring up 1210 changing formats (or did he?), someone had to!

I don't think music will work on AM in this market. This is 2018, not 1990 . 1210's options imo are going all sports, foreign language format like Spanish or a brokered format like 860 WWDB or a wild card, move KYW to 1210 AM.

I don't think music will work on AM in this market. This is 2018, not 1990 . 1210's options imo are going all sports, foreign language format like Spanish or a brokered format like 860 WWDB or a wild card, move KYW to 1210 AM.

I’m not sure that last one even rises to the level of wild card.

move KYW to 1210 AM.

This has come up many times, and the issue is 1210's signal is weak in some key areas. So this will never happen.

Face it: What's on 1210 is the best option given the signal, the market, and the future of AM.

...or a wild card, move KYW to 1210 AM.

Jule, here is a simple fact: watt for watt, the higher on the dial, the smaller the coverage area. That is why the 560 and 610 daytime signals actually cover more people than 1210 with only one tenth the power.

This has come up many times, and the issue is 1210's signal is weak in some key areas. So this will never happen.

Face it: What's on 1210 is the best option given the signal, the market, and the future of AM.

The question is, how long will the current format on 1210 AM lasts? Its a vulnerable station right now, despite making money.

The question is, how long will the current format on 1210 AM lasts? Its a vulnerable station right now, despite making money.

Julius:

Can you please explain how you think 1210 AM is vulnerable? It makes money, has no real competition and is on the freakin' AM dial. if you can't provide some legitimate reasons, then please drop the issue.

Julius:

Can you please explain how you think 1210 AM is vulnerable? It makes money, has no real competition and is on the freakin' AM dial. if you can't provide some legitimate reasons, then please drop the issue.

Fine ,I drop the issue .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom