• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

IBOC Digital Hash on the AM Band

W

WCWalker

Is anyone experiencing IBOC hash on their frequency when they broadcast at
night? I am wondering how well a Rangemaster or another FCC Type Accepted transmitter cuts
through it when it is in the background of your signal.

Can anyone out there actually get any decent nighttime coverage with part 15 AM?
I'm lucky if I can get a block before being covered up by skywave interference--and that's on
the clearest frequency I can find in my area.

I've been able to reach well over a mile at night when I've had a completely clean frequency. When I've had a signal underneath my signal at night I've been limited to about a mile but that was also with a limited ground system. Improve your ground system and you should be able to get out further than a block at night.

No hash, but I'm tuning my Rangemaster to 1610, tonight. Tired of being totally blanked out at night by 1700 in San Diego. I started on 1700 with no problems and then a year later, the San Diego (full power) went on the air. After listening to 1610, through several seasons, I haven't heard any TIS on skip.

Here in Kansas City I am hearing that damn digital hash on 1610. Presumably it is a station on 1620 from Comaha or someplace in Texas. If I want to launch my station here I may have to use 1610 since it is the only truly clean channel in this area. But that noise has me concerned that my range will be reduced even more than if I attempt to broadcast over a station that skips in at night.

Me? I'll be using a Rangemaster with its 108" CB whip antenna.

We have no real earth ground in the desert, just rocks.
A few years ago we installed a drip irrigation system to keep the earth moist.
When we ran 1700AM we watered the earth around the tower about once a week. Worked fine. 1 to 1.5 mile range.

A standard CB whip with my transmitter. Not sure what the ground system will consist of just yet because I am still debating whether to buy a house in a rural area outside of Kansas City or to move to another state.

If you can camp out near a frequency on a Citadel station from what I last heard they had been turning off their OBOC at night. I don't know if this is the current case since I hadn't done any active research lately.

All I know is the sport of night DXing is pretty much ruined thanks to IBOC on AM. It's certainly no friend to those operating Part 15 AMs either.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom