• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ibiquity Selling Private Label HD Radios

"iBiquity Digital Corporation is a privately held company with operations in Columbia, Maryland, Auburn Hills, Michigan, and Piscataway, New Jersey."

...from http://www.ibiquity.com/about_us/investor_information

OK, here's the whole message: iBiquity Digital Corporation is a privately held company with operations in Columbia, Maryland, Auburn Hills, Michigan, and Piscataway, New Jersey. The roots of the Company stretch back to 1991 when CBS, Gannett, and Westinghouse formed USA Digital Radio (USADR) to explore opportunities for digital AM and FM broadcasting. Following years of research and testing, USADR developed the In-Band On-Channel (IBOC) method of broadcasting which enables digital signals to travel the airwaves alongside traditional analog signals. IBOC remains the underlying principle behind today’s HD Radio technology.

By 1998, USADR had made such progress with the IBOC technology that it was spun out as a separate company, backed by investment from 13 of the nation’s leading radio broadcasters. iBiquity Digital was subsequently formed in 2000 with the merger of USADR and Lucent Digital Radio. The Company's investors include 15 of the nation's top radio broadcasters, including Clear Channel and CBS Radio; leading financial institutions, such as Grotech Capital Group, J.P. Morgan Partners, New Venture Partners, FirstMark Capital; and strategic partners Ford Motor Company, Harris, Texas Instruments and Visteon.

Trust me, a company like Ibiquity would have checked out the trademark issue before marketing the name on their radios' nameplates and website.

You can have two separate companies with the same name. Apple Inc. makes computers. Apple Records, which still exists in some form, is a record label. Different products or services. ...

In this case, you have a not for profit corporation that promotes a type of computing, and the other Sparc is a brand of radio. Completely different products or services.

SPARC is a type of digital microprocessor originally developed by Sun Microsystems. The scope of the trademark includes "SoundSPARC" for audio systems.

Yes, the same trademark may be used in separate fields of use. But are these two fields separate enough to avoid confusion? Is "SPARC" such an important or relevant name for a radio receiver that contains a digital microprocessor that it's worth the risk (no pun intended)?

Apple Inc. makes computers. Apple Records, which still exists in some form, is a record label. ... My guess is there was some agreement when Apple decided to get into the music sales business.

No there wasn't, which is why Beatles songs weren't on iTunes for many years. Similarly, the computer company had to come to terms with McIntosh Laboratory, the audio equipment company. Both are widely reported. See, e.g., http://ctandi.org/pdfs/What do McIntosh Labs and the Beatles have in common.pdf

- Jonathan

Apparently sick and tired of HD Radio not getting enough shelf space at Best Buy and similar stores, iBqiuity has launched its own brand, Sparc.

While you have to admire their spirit (or maybe desperation), judging from the offerings, the company is missing the point. The radios being offered are just that--radios. No iPod connectivity, no internet access, no extras of any kind (well, maybe a clock).

Well they DO have blue-tooth..so they are connectable to almost any phone. And "artist experience" which is a great feature of modern radios. Auzilliary inputs, and with voice prompts for the visually impaired.

I can't imagine many people jumping online to buy just radios--even if they are digital.

No one is "jumping online" to buy anything to do with radio. It's not just HD Radio...but AM, FM, HD, SWL, Scanners, Amateur, etc. apathy is at it's peak for anything radio

I read that the other day also, how desperate is ibiquity? It amazing how long they have stayed open beyond the time most companies would have shuttered their doors and declared bankruptcy, kind of makes you wonder.

Doesn't make me wonder at all. Apparently not desperate in the least. They just keep on keepin' on! They focused on getting HD2 streams up in 85% of the US. Then they focused on getting them into cars. Now they want to make sure there are radios around.

Everything now is expected to be on a phone.

Such definitive statements! When I am working in my office, I don't expect to be listening to my phone. When I am cooking in the kitchen, I am not expecting to be entertained by my phone. Listening in the bathroom? Nope! Not on my phone!

Listening in the bathroom? Nope! Not on my phone!

Strangely enough, the bathroom is where I get most of my listening done these days. I'm either too distracted or at the whim of anti-music family most other times of the day. And I almost exclusively use my phone (or tablet, which lives in the bathroom.) I do occasionally bring my HD radio in there; for whatever reason, the reception is a bit better in there and I can sometimes get the HD to decode on WUWF, Pensacola's pubcaster whose TX is about 45 miles away.

Strangely enough, the bathroom is where I get most of my listening done these days. I'm either too distracted or at the whim of anti-music family most other times of the day. And I almost exclusively use my phone (or tablet, which lives in the bathroom.) I do occasionally bring my HD radio in there; for whatever reason, the reception is a bit better in there and I can sometimes get the HD to decode on WUWF, Pensacola's pubcaster whose TX is about 45 miles away.

Maybe it's because it's closer to the toilet?:rolleyes: That seems to be where HD is heading. Sorry couldn't resist, haha!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom