• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I was wrong!

Never admit you were wrong, Jim. I think you definitely knew it would take some time to catch on. The station is sounding better every week. They have added some more 80s. Which, I honestly think is the long term win because “real Nashvillians” really miss the magic of the music in the late 70s through the 90s. If they stay too focused, they will play out. I hope they really smartly rotate the music in and out by years. Interesting to see the numbers on the three 100kwers. Interesting side note. Someone has the potential to drop a bomb on Midwest. Chances are slim, but add up the various format numbers and two major stations could see their numbers suddenly in the 5 and 6 range.

Especially when they bottomed out at 1.0 in Aug/Sep. (This is earlier than i remember the Nielsens coming out.)
Why are WAYM & WAYW no combined? Is that not a simulcast? They would have pretty good ratings together.

P.S. Did the CHR or Sports formats ever get close to 4.0?

Last edited:
Wait a sec, BigA. i gave you one last 2023 opp to bring back KDF and you passed? There is still time to reply. No reply at all will hurt me tragically. Happy 2024 in advance if I don’t get back on RI for a few days.

It won’t be 95.5. Honestly, it won't be anything major. My guess is the 4 will settle to a 3.1-3.2 for a while, then under 3 for Y’all. You may see a spike of a 4 or 5 to keep it alive. What makes no sense to me is 101.1 has just not seen any love in a long time. 92Q isn’t that powerful and yet... The Rock got some Mix listeners as did Hippie and 93.3 (not buying the books) and then the hangover will start after next book. Buzz is all signal issues and noise and needs an upgrade. It is interesting that Y’all is going to force Cumulus to look at both signals if they stay anemic. But the real numbers show a little different story. WSM-FM had a bad 12+ book. It will rebound. WKDF has found some listeners, but its about to get an adjustment that will probably kick it back down a point or so.

While we're jumping around a little, does I🖤 plan to keep WLAC am & fm indefinitely when they're bottoming out at #18-#20 in the market? Seems like a waste to me.

While we're jumping around a little, does I🖤 plan to keep WLAC am & fm indefinitely when they're bottoming out at #18-#20 in the market? Seems like a waste to me.

What you don't see (because they don't subscribe) is WSM-AM, the legendary Blowtorch of the South. I'm told that WLAC has more in-market listeners. Small victory.

Some of the numbers for non-subscribers will surprise people. You have to wonder when the top companies will finally walk away from the expense of those ratings and numbers to save mega millions.

Some of the numbers for non-subscribers will surprise people. You have to wonder when the top companies will finally walk away from the expense of those ratings and numbers to save mega millions.

Hey Tibbs, Happy holidays!

Your friends at Cumulus stopped subscribing in Memphis. So there's one. But are you telling me my information is wrong about WSM? A former GM told me the online streaming is larger than the local on-air listening. They use it mainly to publicize all of their Nashville attractions.

Last edited:
I've seen a market that is ranked in the Top 20 nationally go with no radio ratings for several years a number of decades ago. By the end of the second year, total market radio revenue was off by 50%. Agencies were paying much less, and some, with no metric for radio, quit buying the medium totally.

I think I have heard similar on WSM-AM, BigA. Maybe you mentioned that a while back on here. Firepoint, I would say the chances of SM-95 coming back are far less than KDF. That being said, Y'all was a bold shot fired....who knows what might transpire in 2024.

Firepoint, I would say the chances of SM-95 coming back are far less than KDF.
Yeah, I thought that even the Live 365 re-creation was gone forever. But here, I find out that the Live 365 re-creation of SM95 is back! I did not live here during the SM95 heyday, so the Live 365 version was the only one that I ever heard. So I got to relive it through Live 365. Now I can do that again!

I guess I was wrong. Never in my wildest dreams would I think that Y'All 106.7 would make it to 4.0 rating. I need to tune them in again

Wasn't Mix 92.9 airing Christmas music the entire book? While 95.5 had a noticeable decline, I would suspect some of Y'all's increase came from Mix listeners who didn't want to hear Christmas music for a month straight.

I wouldn't put too much stock in these numbers unless 106.7 is still pulling similar numbers two books from now.

I was listening briefly while waiting for the drug store to open. It has a different sound than at launch. I find myself tuning in more often than before. That coming from a native to this area and never liking country music.

I'm glad to see them get some traction. I think it will go up slightly and then hold steady for a while. Whether or not they can sell it is another story. That will remain to be seen. Here's hoping they do well!

Back
Top Bottom