• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I like california girls by katy perry but they edit out snoop on hot ac version

That is what makes the song gives it that extra sizzle katy alone i just change the station nothing against her snoop really improves the song ;D

First off,

Are you surprised? Hot AC's always edit out the rap.

Second off,

Snoop's rap is so basic and plain in that song, I understand why more stations edit it out!

lovejamminoldies said:
First off,

Are you surprised? Hot AC's always edit out the rap.

Second off,

Snoop's rap is so basic and plain in that song, I understand why more stations edit it out!

I would imagine that Snoop is almost embarrassed of his rap in that song.

It's horrible! He tried to pop it up. I understand, she wanted a Cali rapper on the track, but she should've had him come harder than that crap! I was listening to old Snoop, CLASSIC stuff

His rap is so pop sounding and non-offensive in this song that I'm surprised Hot ACs edit out the rap, even if they normally do. Especially with the format leaning more rhythmic these days this seems unnecessary.

I think the rap should be edited out on the Hot AC format.

I have noticed, however, that WQAL in Cleveland (Q104) does indeed have the rap version of the song, and it doesn't sound too bad to me personally. But as PD of a Hot AC, I try to keep as little rap on the station as possible...I feel that is one of the biggest differences in our format and a Top-40 format.

The other difference, you may ask: I feel more free to throw in some 90's, and even 80's occasionally -- couple times an hour.

Another note on the song, I have noticed another station in my market (a Top-40) is running the no rap version just like us -- go figure...

I'm confused... So is the no rap rule a REAL rule, or a myth? And if it's real, then what in the world is KMVA?

Ok, Movin 97.5 I know plays hits from back in the day and today, and "nothing but a G thing" by Snoop and Dre was a hit, but.... ????
Shouldn't they just play Will Smith or Even Coolio or something if they are going to break the rules (or myths)?

I wouldn't say that "No Rap" is an official rule for the Hot AC format -- Who says there are rules? Every station is different and in my opinion rules should be sat for and by each station based on how it wishes to be positioned in its market. In a market where Top-40's are abundant, I think the Hot AC should set itself apart - to an extent - just because it can!

I would consider rap to be out of place on our station, however, there are verses in Black Eyed Peas songs that are beyond the border that slide out the airwaves everyday. Also, Cascada's "Evacuate the Dancefloor" has a quick rap verse about three quarters through the song, but we still air it. I always strive to keep the beat up on the station, and sometimes the best songs to do this have a bit of rap...but when I can do this without using rap, I always take the opportunity, just like with California Girls. Agree?

KDM 7000 said:
I'm confused... So is the no rap rule a REAL rule, or a myth? And if it's real, then what in the world is KMVA?

Ok, Movin 97.5 I know plays hits from back in the day and today, and "nothing but a G thing" by Snoop and Dre was a hit, but.... ????
Shouldn't they just play Will Smith or Even Coolio or something if they are going to break the rules (or myths)?

Correction: They played "it's kinda easy when you listen to the g'd up sound" by Warren G. on Movin 97.5, not Snoop & Dre.
By the way, see KMVA's music on yes.com .. and tell me if this seems "normal" for a back in the day hit on this type of station.

I would classify KMVA as a Rhythmic AC like most Movin Stations, although Wikipedia classifies it as Top 40. The proper Hot AC Station in Phoenix is KMXP 96.9.

What kind of rhythmic plays Daughtry, Kings of Leon, The Script, Neon Trees, Adam Lambert, John Mayer, Plain White T's, Avril Lavigne...etc. as regular rotation hits and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something along with a few other things as classic hits?

Also, on the home page of the boards, yesterday, I believe I saw them on the list of adult top 40 stations. If they are rhythmic ac now, then I wonder what they were before they added the pop rock and alternative stuff and started phasing out the old school pop, r&b, and freestyle dance hits...

Upon further review, I am wrong about the Rhythmic AC label. I can see that the Wikipedia label as Top 40 is right. It is also on Mediabase's Top 40 monitored panel. On weekdays from 10a to 6p, a standard hour begins with two 80s/90s songs, then the rest of the hour is standard for a Top 40 station. In the Phoenix market, where the Hot AC KMXP is leading the ratings, it means that the Top 40 needs more pop/rock songs than in other markets. Here is a link to the ratings for Phoenix, http://www.radio-info.com/site/markets/grid/phoenix. My guess is that the station used to be Rhythmic AC and recently changed.

Great song by Katy Perry from what appears to be a very strong CD by this beautiful young lady.

California Gurls is better without the rap.

I know this is off topic, but does it make sense for a ac station to play Vengaboys, but completely ignore La Bouche, Amber, No Mercy, and Everything But The Girl? Forget Real McCoy because they have too much rap in their songs... but not as much as Will Smith! ;D

KDM 7000 said:
I know this is off topic, but does it make sense for a ac station to play Vengaboys, but completely ignore La Bouche, Amber, No Mercy, and Everything But The Girl? Forget Real McCoy because they have too much rap in their songs... but not as much as Will Smith! ;D

The Vengaboys do not belong on AC at all. Do you mean Hot AC? I'd question whether they belong on Hot AC as well. All the artists you mentioned really belong on Rhythmic AC or a Gen-X-type station that emphasizes '90s music.

new_friends_gr said:
KDM 7000 said:

The Vengaboys do not belong on AC at all. Do you mean Hot AC? I'd question whether they belong on Hot AC as well. All the artists you mentioned really belong on Rhythmic AC or a Gen-X-type station that emphasizes '90s music.

They still use Vengaboys on KMVA, which is either Hot AC, or... well, top 40 with a pop rock lean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom