• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

i-Heart Radio Censored these words - really? What the hang?

Iheart station 103.7 The Beat (KFBT), in Fresno plays Snoop Dogg "smoke weed everyday" and censors the phrase "smoke weed everyday"

In 1999 Clear Channel played "My Name Is" on B95 (KBOS) in Fresno and censored only tits.

I think Iheart maybe holding the "Old School" stations to a higher standard, that way listeners can expose the kids to hard-core the family friendly way.

CBS Hip-hop station HOT 93.7 just censors the word weed so it's smoke [word removed] everyday. Certain DJs would cut that one last line all together.

That's the way I was used to hearing it on the radio, KFBT plays it, but it sounds like a record being played backwards.

That's the way I was used to hearing it on the radio, KFBT plays it, but it sounds like a record being played backwards.

An easy way to remove a bad, radio-unfriendly word is to reverse it (sometimes you can get away with reversing part of the word and it will still be effective) and the reverse function is available on most digital audio editors. We did this a lot where I used to work. We even had one "radio edit" of a rap song where they edited out the N-word but left in the S-word. So I had to edit it out. Either with a snip of music from another part of the song, or just using the reverse function.

Editing was fun.

I listen to 92.1 The Beat in Tulsa on the iHeartRadio app and when they play Broccoli by D.R.A.M. and Lil Yachty, the word "Columbine" is censored, most likely due to its association with the 1999 school shooting. However, I've heard the song on other radio stations and they don't censor the word "Columbine" from the lyrics.

while we are covering weird censorship by IHeartMedia FKA Clear Channel, all this can't top the infamous post 9/11 attack no play list that they had for all of their stations at the time. this was more of a act of censoring stuff by not playing it out of respect for the victims of that horrible day 16 years ago next month.

here's the full list from Wikipedia here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Clear_Channel_memorandum

Urban legend. Someone, somewhere in the chain circulated a suggested list of titles PDs might consider staying away from, as a manor of common sense. It was never a top down directive. Would you really have thought it was a good idea to play "Sweet Home Alabama" in Charlottesville this week?

That was probably the song "Longview." It WAS edited, I've heard/played that radio edit. It's BARELY edited, but technically is.
I was sampling other stations to see what they were doing and I heard the WEND song again, this time on iHeart's 105.7 Man Up in Greensboro, NC. There's a part of the song where there's a gap of some kind. With that kind of alternative music, it's not as weird as it might otherwise be.

And yet KZPS (iHeart) in Dallas will air "Money For Nothing" unedited while KLUV (CBS) and KMAD (Alpha) air the edited version. I've never thought rock formats really needed to air the edited versions aside from cutting out the absolute No-No's. Top 40 plays it safe. I have no idea why you'd edit the word "weed" and isn't something I would do if I programmed a CHR.

I refer you to "I Dig Rock and Roll Music" by the Mamas & Papas. Current musicians are apparently too stupid to understand or they are hunting for pure shock value. Either way, their music is worthless.

Eh, that's Marshall for ya. Its his thing and what he's known for, I certainly wouldn't call his music worthless.

Would you really have thought it was a good idea to play "Sweet Home Alabama" in Charlottesville this week?

"Sweet Home Alabama" was intended as an "answer song" to Neil Young's "Southern Man". Not sure many people would understand that today.

I refer you to "I Dig Rock and Roll Music" by the Mamas & Papas. Current musicians are apparently too stupid to understand or they are hunting for pure shock value. Either way, their music is worthless.
What does this mean? This is a song played on adult standards radio, which is G-rated.

Although I remember one station that played a song called "Reefer Man".

What does this mean? This is a song played on adult standards radio, which is G-rated.

Although I remember one station that played a song called "Reefer Man".

Read the entire original post. It referred to putting objectionable lyrics in a less prominent position within the song so as not to tip off the nation's PTA's about the song's subject. "I Dig Rock and Roll Music" was a song that "outed" this practice. Itself, it was not guilty of the practice.

As he showed in "Same Love," Macklemore doesn't need to crawl in the linguistic gutter to get his points across. Good for iHeart, I say. He's better than this. There's always a better, just as effective, way to express yourself in a lyric without the crutch of profanity.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom