• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I heard it on WTMY.

talk fanatic said:
I heard an ad for it on WTMY - Talk Sarasota.
LOCAL RADIO RULES!!!!!

Gosh, considering only 6800 people 12+ and 18+ in Sarasota ever listen to that station between Monday-Sunday 6AM-12M and during any 15 minute period, less than 0.1% of everyone in Sarasota listen to the station (or roughly 400 people), it might rule for you - and the advertisers who want to spend $1 for a spot. For anyone who knows anything about advertising and results, its virtually worthless.

A 5 way tie for 35th in the market isn't exactly RULING...

I don't agree with your notion that WTMY is worthless. If they only have 400 listeners at any given time, and based all I've read about them
lately, I don't that figure. But, If enough listeners in that 400 are the customers I am looking for, then the ROI on a station like that can be
worthwhile. There is nothing wrong with local, local, local radio. The problem is people who are only interested and being able to talk about
how big a station they work for, even if it doesn't bring business for it's advertisers. I ran WTMY when it was WWZZ Music of your life, and while we didn't get great numbers, we brought customers to our advertisers, and that my friend is what it is all about.

quadman102 said:
I don't agree with your notion that WTMY is worthless. If they only have 400 listeners at any given time, and based all I've read about them
lately, I don't that figure. But, If enough listeners in that 400 are the customers I am looking for, then the ROI on a station like that can be
worthwhile. There is nothing wrong with local, local, local radio. The problem is people who are only interested and being able to talk about
how big a station they work for, even if it doesn't bring business for it's advertisers. I ran WTMY when it was WWZZ Music of your life, and while we didn't get great numbers, we brought customers to our advertisers, and that my friend is what it is all about.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Obviously you don't know the ratings. 12+ is what is available publicly. I have said this before - I have complete access to the whole book. Talk Sarasota is #1 for talk 3p-6p. Laura Ingram is #1 9a-12p. So belittle it all you want but you'd be wrong. Certain Dayparts have 31k listeners AQH. That aint chicken feed.

LOCAL TALK RADIO RULES!!!!

talk fanatic said:
Obviously you don't know the ratings. 12+ is what is available publicly. I have said this before - I have complete access to the whole book. Talk Sarasota is #1 for talk 3p-6p. Laura Ingram is #1 9a-12p. So belittle it all you want but you'd be wrong. Certain Dayparts have 31k listeners AQH. That aint chicken feed.

I didn't belittle it. I have said all along that local radio is what it takes to be successful in these smaller markets, especially on AM radio. Even in larger markets, local is what sets the very successful stations apart from the others.

talk fanatic said:

All you’ve proven is that you don’t know how to read a Spring 2010 Arbitron.

12+ 9A-12N 1.0 Share 3 Way Tie 26th
P25-54 9A-12N 0.0 share – Bottom of 55 Stations
P35-64 9A-12N 0.5 Share – 5 Way Tie for 31st

12+ 3P-6P 1.4 Share 4 Way Tie 20th
P25-54 3P-6P 2.7 Share 2 Way Tie for 11th
P35-64 3P-6P 0.0 share – Bottom of 55 Stations

No station in Sarasota has 31K Listeners AQH – even 12+
WHPT/Cowhead is #1 M-F 3P-6P with 12,200 AQH
WSRZ is #1 M-F 9A-12N with 12,300 AQH

M-S 6A-12M Top Station has only 7,400 AQH
M-F 6A-10A Top Station has only 11,500 AQH
M-F 10A-3P Top Station has only 12,800 AQH
M-F 3P-7P Top Station has only 10,600 AQH
M-F 7P-12M Top Station has only 2,200 AQH

Take your BS WTMY-AM "RULEZ" Elsewhere.

talk fanatic said:
Talk Sarasota is #1 for talk 3p-6p. Laura Ingram [sic] is #1 9a-12p...

I had no idea Laura Ingraham has been doing her show from WTMY.

Hey Kabrich:

A couple of things...

1) Sorry, again for my mistyping - I meant 3.1k AQH. However,

2) Why are you misrepresenting the numbers?

9a-12noon (Laura Ingram) has a 3 rating 9am, 4 at 10am and a 2 at 11am - #1 talker in the market

3p-6p (Talk Sarasota) has a 1.8 rating - #1 Local Talker in the market.

3) Do you have an axe to grind? Your mother brought you up better than that.

Local Talk Radio Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talk fanatic said:
Hey Kabrich:

A couple of things...

1) Sorry, again for my mistyping - I meant 3.1k AQH. However,

2) Why are you misrepresenting the numbers?

9a-12noon (Laura Ingram) has a 3 rating 9am, 4 at 10am and a 2 at 11am - #1 talker in the market
12+ WTMY has a 0.2 Rating at 9a, 0.2 Rating at 10a and 0.1 Rating at 11am
Persons 25-54 WTMY has a 0.0 Rating at 9a, 0.0 Rating at 10a and a 0.0 Rating at 11am

WTMY is NOT the #1 talker in the market 9AM-12N.

As they have a 0.0 Rating 25-54 9A-12N, EVERY OTHER TALKER BEATS THEM

12+
WFLA is #2
WUSF is #4
WDAE is #11

And a bunch of other station are ahead of WTMY until you get to them in a tie at 26th place.

talk fanatic said:
3p-6p (Talk Sarasota) has a 1.8 rating - #1 Local Talker in the market.

Again, why are you making up these numbers?

12+ WTMY has a 0.3 Rating at 3P-6P and is in a 6 way tie for 17th
Persons 25-54 WTMY has a 0.6 Rating for 3P-6P

They are beaten by such Talk Station as WFLA.

talk fanatic said:
3) Do you have an axe to grind? Your mother brought you up better than that.

My mother taught me not to lie – what happened with mother? Why do you insist on posting false numbers?

talk fanatic said:
Local Talk Radio Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except in the ratings!!!!!!!!

Okay. I was talking about local programming. But that is okay. You are right. WTMY is a little pimple of a station not even worth talking about. Even though you have the numbers wrong the fact remains that we get the big boys blasting their impersonal non-pertinent signals into this market. Feel better now?

However, every dog has his day. :)

Gee..... I heard the add for the Bar-B-Q on WLSS 930am. Doesn't sound like an exclusive commercial to me.

Does it matter what there is between commercial breaks? As long as the commercials themselves are of local interest. And local may mean in the pocket as well as around the corner.

Ratings don’t matter if the target audience is not coming to the store.

I worked for a station in New Jersey that was an alternative rocker. They were still inviting listeners to bring in their sewing machine for a free check-up and cleaning. It was a vestige from their previous format. They had switched 2 years prior.

I don’t care where the voice is coming from as long as he/she is holding my interest. As somebody who is driving around Sa-ra-so-ta! every day, it is not unusual for me to check out the business I have heard on the station – whether that be WLSS, WTMY, or WSRQ.

WFLA is still my Number 1 station, though. As bad as the signal is at Bee Ridge and Beneva.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

There's very little "local" about WTMY .... they moved to syndicated shows except for Richard Levine (who pays for his time) and Sherman "What's his name" who was to be their "savior". Nothing they are doing brings enough revenue to keep them afloat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom