• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

I Found A Great Soft Oldies Station

Actually it's an internet stream. The Soft Oldies format on boomerradio.com. They play a great variety including tons of "oh wow" songs. Some of the ones I heard include...

Rex Smith-You Take My Breathe Away
Oliver-Jean
Barbra Streisand-Stoney End
Barry Manilow-Somewhere In The Night
Poppy Family-Which Way You Goin' Billy
Friends of Distinction-Going In Circles
Lobo-I'd Love You To Want Me
Fortunes-That Same Old Feeling
Captain and Tennille-Woman Tonight

Even the songs they play that are staples of the format bring me a sense of awe such as Carpenters-Top Of The World. Another thing I like about this stream is that it's pure soft oldies without standards mixed in (the site has a seperate standards format).

I can understand why few radio stations feature this format because of the upper demos (I'm a Gen Xer myself but feel a deep emotional connection to this music). At the same time there is no excuse for anyone to complain about what formats aren't on the radio. No matter what your musical taste there is an endless galaxy of internet streams.

Jay F said:
At the same time there is no excuse for anyone to complain about what formats aren't on the radio. No matter what your musical taste there is an endless galaxy of internet streams.

True, but wouldn't radio still be better if we were given a better selection of things to listen to anyway?

Don't get me wrong. I have Ubuntu Linux and I've programmed the Rhythmbox radio player with over 200 terrestrial stations from around the world. I can access each one almost instantly (Windows Media files take a little longer to buffer.)

I listed them by frequency up the AM/FM bands, creating a custom designed radio dial where I am not just the program director, but the FCC and to some extent, God.

Here's a screenshot pic (You may have to download and enlarge in your favorite photo viewer):

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5104884712_7031de49d5.jpg

Get tired of what I'm hearing on FM 95.5 KLOS? Sayanara classic rock, hello clog dancing music from FM 95.5 in the Ukraine......

Rhythmbox also has Jamendo, Lastfm, Magnatune and their own iTunes-like music store

http://projects.gnome.org/rhythmbox/

But still, there's always room for improvement on the conventional radio dial........

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom