• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Howard Stern signs new 5 year deal.

Good news for Sirius stock!
I wonder if he's attracting younger listeners or whether his audience consists primarily of people who are now 40 and older (some much older) who had been fans of his in his New York and/or syndication years. And, while he seems to be in decent health, he is 66. Has he or SiriusXM thought about a successor or long-term fill-in should his health decline over the next five years, or is the knowledge that they have decades of Stern in the vault sufficient assurance that the dreaded subscriber exodus won't happen?

I wonder if he's attracting younger listeners or whether his audience consists primarily of people who are now 40 and older (some much older) who had been fans of his in his New York and/or syndication years. And, while he seems to be in decent health, he is 66. Has he or SiriusXM thought about a successor or long-term fill-in should his health decline over the next five years, or is the knowledge that they have decades of Stern in the vault sufficient assurance that the dreaded subscriber exodus won't happen?
Howard suggested that this is his last contract. Sirius will have the archive for 7 years.

Of course, Sirius/XM has no real concern about age... just as you mention in the final words of your post. Paid services don't depend on advertisers, and thus don't worry so much about demographics. The same applies to a great extent to subscription or fee-based web services.

My guess is that people who are listening to his show probably followed him to Sirius from OTA radio when he left OTA radio in 2005. Where else would they go? Shortly after 2005 a lot of similar "shock talk" shows that appealed to his demos left the air.

But then, I really am just guessing here. I never listened to Howard, but have a buddy who did, and followed Howard to Sirius. I listened to a few of the other shows that were similar in bent -- most of them gone mediocre (locally) or off the air (nationally syndicated ones).

Stern represents 20-25% of the subscription-renewing SXM audience. Of course that audience is still less than 2% of the total radio listening audience. So, we're talking about 25% of 2%.

I never cared for Stern’s brand of radio. Personally I think he’s a tune out factor, 25% of 2% is really not that much of a number.

So, we never found out what was inside the second box :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom